Second time out/back from seeing Beauty and the Beast **SPOILERS ABOUND**
(aka bear with me b/c this review is a week and a half late and I can actually comment on stuff I loved throughout it. It might end up being long af so I’m sorry in advance bc I talk about when everyone got cast too. This is probably filled with typos.)
PPS: I am the minority who loved it deeply, and don’t have nothing to complain about. Except a few words on the group of people who sat beside me tonight and would not shut up during Evermore and the transformation scene aka MY MOST FAVOURITE DISNEY KISS EVER)
So lets get down to it. I LOVED this movie the first time I saw it. As I have stated numerous times through tags. Ill be real here I was skeptical as hell about this being turned into a LA remake. But as the casting was announced my worries went away completely?
BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST WHAT A FABULOUS CAST! I don’t even know who to start with honestly? All of them ARE JUST SO GOOD???
We’ll just start with the most obvious choice (and the one who had the most flack after being cast)
And that is the absolute wonder and light of my life DAN FUCKING STEVENS
BECAUSE THIS GUY. OMG. ANYTHING HE DID IN THIS MOVIE JUST…BLEW. ME. THE. FUCK. AWAY??? And I’m just so grateful and forever indebted to him for bringing quite possibly the best reinterpretation of the Beast/Adam to life. Like honestly the Beast is my favourite character ever he has been since I was 5 and I just…NO AMOUNT OF WORDS COULD DESCRIBE IT. (actually I have TONS of words and i’ll get more into this later) but I’m moving on for now.
Emma Thompson I love Emma T so much I have since forever and she’s so charming and soft hearted as Mrs Potts. Say what you will about the accents used in this movie I loved that she was English….
And Luke Evans I knew about him prior to this and vaguely, through watching him in The Hobbit and that god awful movie version of the Three Musketeers (same can be said for Dan, b/c before I watched some of his other stuff I had only know him from Night at the Museum 3)
Luke brought such a great energy to this character and I loved how Gaston started out as an okay dude but slowly dissented into his villainy? The way he portrayed this was astounding b/c as soon as the script called for the change up he handled it with such ease? And wow I just love Gaston so much in this movie.
Josh Gad we gotta talk about FUCKING JOSH GAD I’m not getting into the knitty gritty of things since its not my place to comment on such but I LOVED HIM IN THIS ROLE SO MUCH MORE THAN I LOVED HIM IN FROZEN? He’s so hilarious. AND HIS LINES WERE A+++
He just brought so much classiness to LeFou and he just made him so likable? and the fact that HE FOUGHT TO KEEP IN THE SNOWMAN GAG FROM THE ORIGINAL VERSION. I honestly hope they give me all the deleted scenes from this movie.
FUCKING EWAN MCGREGOR AND SIR IAN MCKELLEN AS COGSWORTH AND LUMIERE I just WOW WHAT A GREAT ACTING COMBO (aka all ive ever wanted from the remains of my dull life.)
AND AUDRA MCDONALD AS GARDEROBE AND STANLEY ‘ACTUAL KING OF EVERYTHING HE IS IN’ TUCCI as a sassy piano THAT WAS LITERALLY CREATED FROM SCRATCH FOR HIM? (more on these two later as well because omg they are everything to me and stole my heart??)
AND KEVIN FUCKING KLINE omg I loved him so much in this movie just PERFECT honestly.
I’m trying to keep this short so I can move on to my next bunch of thoughts. And not just yap about the casting. (Bullet points listed below, bc I’m getting into the changes) And to begin:
THE SCENARY AND CGI IN THIS MOVIE WERE FUCKING ASTOUNDING? I DIED? IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, say what you want about what the beast looked like. Dan Stevens exhausted himself entirely for 2-3 months just to make the beast into a computer animated caricature. AND I LOVED THE ANIMATION ON THE CASTLE STAFF? I also really loved the backstories for everyone it just filled in so much that I found lacking in the original. Just everything that filled in all the plotholes were A++
- THE PROLOGUE and it being narrated by the ENCHANTRESS.(Side note: I loved the technicalities and consequences with this new curse)
- DAN STEVENS GRACING ME WITH HIS FAB TALENT AND NOT SAYING A THING DURING SAID PROLOGUE AND JUST LAUGHING EVILLY AND YET FLAWLESSLY GETTING THE POINT ACROSS THAT THE PRINCE BEFORE MEETING BELLE WAS AN ABSOLUTE PANSY ASS DICK? Also him in the black get up with the black swan make up?? a lookTM
- THE CLOSE UPS OF GARDEROBE AND CADENZA AND THEIR LITTLE DOGGO FRU FRU BEFORE THE CASTLE IS CHANGED INTO OBJECTS?? THE FACT THAT FRU FRU IS THEIR DOG?
- THAT WHOLE OPENING SEQUENCE IS INTENSE AS HELL
- Omg when Gaston stepped on Belle’s cabbages THERE WERE LIKE 3-4 KIDS THAT GASPED. It made me smile omg.
- When Maurice and Phillipe were heading out of town and in the woods heading to the castle. One child was like “aww look at the horsey” I mean…
- WHEN MAURICE IS IN THE CASTLE AND MEETS CHIP everyone laughed like honestly I was blessed with actually being a a cinema room full of people that laughed and reacted to stuff b/c last week when I went there were crickets, some child mad an off hand comment later on in the movie when Beast invites Belle to dinner and he does the smileTM I kid you not I heard “look his tiny teeth” I love his tiny fangs so much hes just so awkwardly endearing altogether.
- OKAY OKAY OKAY SO WHEN BELLE HEADS UP TO THE CASTLE TO FIND HER DADDO AND SHES AT THE CELL IM PRETTY SURE THEY PLAY THE SCORE TO EVERMORE? its like lowkey but I NOTICED IT AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.
- all the songs in this movie and the additional lyrics woven into the film added 30 years to my life.
- THE WHOLE “GASTON” NUMBER WAS FABULOUS AND EVERYTHING AND MORE ITS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL VERSION THAT WHOLE MOMENT WHEN THEY BREAK TO CLAP AND STOP ON THE TABLE AND THE FACT THAT THE SCORE FOR THAT BIT SOUNDS LIKE A CAVALRY CHARGE AND THE WHOLE “SAY IT AGAIN” BIT AFTER THE “I USE ANTLERS IN ALL OF MY DECORATING” LINE.
- BUT LIKE THERE IS MORE BECAUSE OMG THEY GAVE COGSWORTH STUFF TO SING DURING “BE OUR GUEST” INSTEAD OF JUST “SOMETHING THERE”. LIKE THE ONLY OTHER TIME HE SINGS IS IN THE ORIGINAL DURING “HUMAN AGAIN” I love the flawless smooth transition from SIR IAN MCKELLEN belting out the COURSE BY COURSE bit of that verse and Ewan being like ONE BY ONE immediately after? honestly I always fist bump during that moment when I listen to the soundtrack. AND THE WHOLE NUMBER IN THE MOVIE IS JUST SOO GREAT. I love my crotchety old clock and dramatically extra candlestick. the best BROTP.
- Ok, so the people I sat beside started laughing during little Adam’s part in Days In the Sun and omg I was off hand annoyed because it ruined my chance to start the water works even though I still cried.
- BEAST TRASHING ON ROMEO AND JULIET WILL FOREVER BE ICONIC to me I LOVE WELL READ BEAST SO MUCH I’m tired of the ‘but I wish he would have stayed illiterate’ statements.
- EVERYONE. AND WHEN I SAY EVERYONE I MEAN EVERYONE ERRUPTED INTO LAUGHTER WHEN BEAST HAULED THAT BIG ASS SNOWBALL AT BELLE’S HEAD.
- ALSO any time Beast gave Belle his little smiles??? they were so pure and cute
- So seeing this movie a second time the yellow dress discourse is quiet frankly ?? to me I loved it AND I LOVE THE FACT THAT DAN STEVENS MADE THE BEAST UTTERLY DISTRESSED OVER ASKING HER FOR A DANCE IN THE BALLROOM? (THAT WHOLE SEQUENCE IS SO FUCKING GORGEOUS)
- LIKE…I JUST LOVE HOW MUCH LIFE AND PERSONALITY AND 3 DIMENSIONALISM HE GAVE HIM B/C I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THIS PORTRAYAL UNTIL IM DEAD AND IN THE GROUND.
- Which brings me to the make up scene everyone laughed and I almost could not stop laughing at the scene change.
- Emma Thompson’s version of Beauty and the Beast is so wonderful. I love it.
- THE FIRST TIME I HEARD EVERMORE IN THE MOVIE I WAS STUNNED INTO SILENCE AND JUST DAN STEVENS AGAIN GRACING ME WITH SUCH RAW EMOTION AND TALENT. SIGH I JUST LOVE THAT WHOLE SEQUENCE, I WOULD HAVE LOVED IT EVEN MORE HAD I BEEN REALLY INTO THE SECOND TIME SEEING IT BUT ALAS THE PERSON BESIDE ME WAS LAUGHING AND I WAS JUST LIKE… RUDE. HONESTLY THOUGH THE PAIR OF PIPES DAN STEVENS HAS HE HAS SUCH A BEAUTFUL RANGE AND WHEN HE SINGS ANGELS DESCEND FROM HEAVEN, AND JUST THIS WHOLE FUCKING SONG GAVE ME THE LAARGEST EARGASM THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT. LIKE HONESTLY GOD BLESS ALAN MUSICAL GENIEUS KING MENKEN
- Honestly everyone is at war against whether Josh or Dan’s version is better and I just prefer Dan’s version so much. I found Josh Groban’s version too slow even though he sings like an angel too.
- tt.tt THE MOB SONG and the castle staff going up in arms was always my fave in the 90s version. And it did not disappoint.
Bullet points are done I am heading into paragraph summarizing my thoughts on the last 30-40 minutes. BECAUSE THIS SHIT WAS UNREAL, and HARROWINGLY DARK. AND I LOVED THESE CHANGES FROM THE ORIGINAL.
THE WHOLE CASTLE TURRET CHASE SCENE WAS SO FUCKING GOOD I HAD MULTIPLE HEAR TATTACKSTHE FACT THEY SWITCHED UP THE HUNTING KNIFE AND REPLACED IT WITH A PISTOL that moment when the Beast gets shot oh god.
Like when Belle comes back and sees the Beast and he literally SHOUTS OUT HER NAME I am crying?? and deceased?? and then he gets shot 2 more times honestly this was equally amazing and heartbreakingly brutal.
And let me tell the whole concept of the castle actually breaking apart as the petals fall, that is just such a neat spin and I love it.
So like I said I found the twist with the curse fascinating because in the original the only thing it focused largely on was the Beast, Mrs Potts, Plumette, Lumiere , Cogsworth and FruFru. I LOVE THAT THE MOVIE CEMENTED AND ROUNDED ALL OF THE CASTLE STAFF AND GAVE THEM A LARGER SPOLIGHT THAN IN THE ORIGINAL LIKE THE CASTLE STAFF MAKES UP HALF OF THE CAST/CHARACTERS FOR THIS MOVIE. For the past week and a half people have said why was the inanimate scene so long and drawn out? Because the castle staff are the greatest and the only family the Beast has besides Belle that’s why… the end. Also I ship the hell out of Cadenza & Garderobe, Plumette and Lumiere AND MR AND MRS POTTS OMG.
THE WHOLE INANIMATION SEQUENCE HAD MY ENTIRE SOUL IN SHREADS, IVE ??? NEVER?? CRIED??? SO MUCH IN MY LIFE??? LIKE LUMIERE HOLDING PLUMETTE IN HIS ARMS AND SETTING HER DOWN GENTLY AND MRS POTTS NOT BEING ABLE TO GET TO CHIP AND CHIP ALMOST FUCKING BREAKING BUT THE COATHANGER CATCHING HIM THE LAST SECOND AS HIS SAUCER BREAKS? CADENZA AND GADEROBE REUNITING AND HER TELLING HIM THAT HE IS BRAVE JUST BEFORE SHE FADES AWAY AND HIM BEGGING HER NOT TO LEAVE HIM?? I MEAN THAT IS THE TEXTBOOK DEFINIITION OF PURE AND UTTER DEVOTION RIGHT THERE FRIENDS.THE SADDEST THING ABOUT THEIR INANIMATION SCENE IS THE FACT THAT THEIR DOGGO FRU FRU BECOMES INANIMATE BETWEEN THEM. COGSWORTH AND LUMIERE SAYING GOODBYE. NEED I SAY MORE.
BUT THEN THE TRANSFORMATION SCENE HAPPENED AND I COULD NOT BREATHE I LOVEED HOW THEY FILMED THIS SCENE AND HOW EMMA AND DAN PLAYED THIS SCENE. NEVER IN MY LIFE WILL I LOVE ANYTHING AS MUCH AS I LOVE THIS SCENE.
Everyone is like “well why didn’t they say anything?”
I LOVED that HE DID NOT NEED TO SAY ‘BELLE, ITS ME?”
this iconic masterly filmed sequence only needed to be filmed with sheer BODY LANGUAGE, VISUAL EXPRESSIONS AND EMOTIONS COMING FROM BOTH DAN AND EMMA AND I JUST AM ASTOUNDED? EVERYTHING THEY FELT COULD BE SEEN BY THE AUDIENCE I FELT THAT SHIT DEEP IN MY SOUL AND IVE ANALYZED EVERYTHING LEADING UP TO THE KISS. FROM THEIR LOOKS OF DAZED WONDERMENT AFTER BEAST TURNS BACK INTO A HUMAN, AND HIS LITTLE HUFF OF RELIEF AFTER HE INTIALLY TURNS AROUND AND FACES EMMA, TO DAN’S HEAVY BREATHING, BELLE PLAYING WITH HIS HAIR AND HIM THREADING HIS FINGERS THROUGH HERS IN TURN? THE FACE TOUCH AS SHE IS LOOKING FOR ANY SIGN THAT THIS IS INFACT THAT GUY SHE LOVES?? (HONEST TO GOD THAT SHOT OF DAN HE IS ALREADY A BEAUTFUL GUY BUT HOLY HELL HE LOOKED SO GOOD IN THIS SCENE) THE CLOSE UP SHOT OF HIS EYES. HER RELIEVED LAUGH AND THE IMMENSE GENTLE CAUTION BETWEEN THEM JUST BEFORE THEY KISS AND THAT GIANT ASS INHALE DAN TAKES AS SOON AS THEY MAKE CONTACT ALSO MENTIONING THE FACT THAT ONCE THEY DO KISS HER HAND MOVES FROM HIS CHEST TO HIS WAIST.
THIS WHOLE SCENE IS LITERALLY THE LIVING EMBODIMENT OF THE PATRICK STEWART ACTING GIF
I LOVE THIS KISS SO MUCH HONESTLY ITS MY FAVOURITE DISNEY KISS.
The best was when they all became human again and reunited and were left with parting gifts from the curse. I laughed out loud when they showed Stanley Tucci with no teeth.
UGH AND THE LAST SCENE WITH CADENZA BEING SO FUCKING HAPPY AND SMILING AS THE WIFEY IS SINGING again.
EMMA AND AUDRA singing the final number omg the whole coronation dance scene was everything.
AND JUST THIS WHOLE MOVIE IS FABULOUS AND I NEEDED THE DVD TO BE RELEASED YESTERDAY.