I need the story of the Underground Shakespearian Ring
Okay, so the school I went to for 9th grade had this really bizarre grading setup that I still don’t understand- for some reason, instead of the teachers writing up and grading tests and exams and the like, all the work was sent to an unknown third party for them to grade??? It made no sense.
Now, for the most part, the school had decent teachers, and they would just teach the curriculum correctly and then you wouldn’t run into problems with the grading. My English teacher was not one of those teachers.
So like, she hated me pretty early on- she was my homeroom teacher and thought it was disrespectful that I slept in homeroom in the mornings (I was on sleeping pills and they never wore off completely until around 10am), I never had the vocab homework in on time (someone kept breaking into my locker and stealing my vocab books I had to buy a new one like five times), she thought it was “inherently pessimistic and stuck up” when she caught me reading a book called ‘Ninth Grade Slays’ (it was about vampires, not her?), and during our Greek Mythology unit I kept correcting her about the name pronunciations of the gods (she pronounced Hephaestus as Hepatitis one time holy shit).
Anyway, her feelings on me aside, her teaching skills were shoddy at best. But I had had way worse teachers, so had the rest of the class, and Greek myths are pretty straight-up in what’s going on, so no one really had trouble with the third-party tests.
Then we get to the Romeo and Juliet unit.
Now, fun fact: Shakespeare has always come pretty easily to me. Like, to the point where I sometimes forget/fail to understand that other people have an incredibly hard time translating his works. (I told this whole story to my friends in the school I went to for 10th/11th/12th grade and when the drama department put on ‘Midsummers Night Dream’ one year, more than half the cast tried to get me to translate their scripts and monologues for them lmao).
So, anyway, I’m just a girl, reading Romeo and Juliet and digging how it’s going…and then the teacher starts ‘translating’ it.
I cannot sift through all the bullshit this woman was spewing, but let’s just say that my favorite part is during Romeo’s spew about Rosaline, there’s one part where he says something like ‘with cupid’s arrow/she hath diane’s will’, and the teacher was taking this to mean Rosaline was a Super Lesbian who was breaking the law or something and running away with her lover Diane, which would be a rad storyline, sure, but like…I’m just raising my hand like “Um Ma’am, Diana is the Roman goddess of chastity. What Romeo meant is that she told him she’s sworn off love and is probably becoming a nun?” and this woman just got. So angry. Like, excuse me, you are a student, you’re here to learn, so you clearly don’t know anything about this (I read Romeo and Juliet for the first time in like preschool whoops). Anyway, she continues on making up her own plot to the play, and I…well I was basically Hermione Fucking Granger at this point I couldn’t just sit there and listen to someone be this wrong about something omfg??? She just got angrier and angrier and stopped calling on me after a while.
So for a couple lessons I’m just left to seethe quietly, but one day after class this girl I knew since grade school came up to me and was like “Could you…? Tell me what the hell we’re supposed to be learning?” and I didn’t even like her but I liked the validation of being someone’s Chosen Teacher so I wrote out a summary for her of everything we had covered so far so she could actually write a comprehendible essay for our homework that night.
But THEN the during the class when we got our essays back, she made a HUGE DEAL, like ‘oh Molly, it wasn’t bad enough that you’ve been failing this course material, now you have to drag your friends into it by trying to re-write the play?’ (l m a o). Like this bitch had literally tried to fight me on ‘Paris is the guy Juliet’s father wants her to marry’ and she didn’t even put a grade on my essay where I said the play only ended in tragedy because of how young and naïve the kids were, that if they had taken a breather and thought things through it probably would’ve been fine (it was a damn good essay and I stand by it). But anyway, she’s trying to make me out to my classmate’s as someone who’s trying to sabotage their education for laughs.
This backfired on her.
See, it dawned on people one by one, that she was only teaching the wrong material -> so they wouldn’t know the right material -> so when they eventually would take the exams they would only have her crazy answers -> which the third party graders wouldn’t know about -> everyone fails this course that’s like half the overall grade of the year.
Most students consider that a problem.
So suddenly the class has decided I’m the fucking Shakespeare Whisperer or something, and one by one start begging me for help. At first I was confused, because as I said, it’s so easy for me that I didn’t realize literally the entire class was lost out of their asses here. omfg. So I was really getting hassled here but I didn’t want my entire class to fail you know???? So I started meeting with people during study halls or texting them after school so they knew what was going on. And then they started telling people in this teacher’s other classes, including upperclassmen who were lost as fuck, so this was quickly spiraling out of control on my end, but overall people were really starting to understand the plays better!! So I was feeling really great.
But then, the teacher noticed that none of the homework getting handed in to her matched up with her crazy translations, and knew I was the sole person to blame (naturally). She literally tried to get me suspended over this, she went to the school’s disciplinarian!
Note: This guy, Mr. C, knew I was a God damn angel- my science class was off the charts, inappropriately awful, so every time one of our science teacher’s wanted to give the entire class detention, instead of calling Mr. C up to the class room as was the rule, they’d send me down to get him so he’d know to write up every student except for me. So when my English teacher dragged me in there he was looking her like “What on Earth could this girl have possibly done to piss you off?” 😂😂
And when she explained he looked at her for a very long moment, glanced at me with a signature ‘Office’ Reaction Face™ , turned back to her and was like “You want her suspended…for starting a study group?” and I was CHOKING.
So that really pissed her off and they started fighting and this was a very overworked and Done man so at some point he gave up and was like “I’m not suspending her but fine we can put a ban on the study group if you leave my office” omfg. So all the other students get notified and now they’re back to freaking out about the upcoming exams.
So like two days later, I’m at lunch, complaining about this to one of my friends who had a different English teacher and thus no problem, and I’m on this whole angry rant (Because I’m pissed, a bunch of kid’s grades are gonna get fucked up because of this! They just wanted to do well! I just wanted to help them!) and my friends staring at me quietly the whole time and when I finish I’m like “What?” and she’s just like “…Molly did you literally start up Dumbledore’s Army in our fucking school?” and I died on scene.
But then I started thinking about the comparison and I was like? You know fucking what? If Harry Potter can get those kids to pass their fucking DADA test I can help kids pass their fucking English Exam. Bring it the fuck on, Umbridge.
So I started Spreading The Word that anyone who needs help with their Shakespeare course can still get help, we just all need to meet up once to hash out the details. After some back and forth notes and deliberations, we ended up meeting in the school library, which was hilarious for a few reasons:
1) It was directly across the hall from this teacher’s classroom.
2) It was actually a converted janitors closet, way smaller than all the other classrooms, and there were like 50 people shoved in there; Not exactly an ideal Room of Requirement
3) The library carried no Shakespeare texts, but had the entire Harry Potter series on display to see when you first walked in
But anyway, despite the fact that we were literally three feet away from her door while we were doing this, our teacher was none the wiser of the meeting. We worked out a game plan- everyone writes out bullshit essays that align with what the teacher’s expecting. After she grades those and gives them back, they get them to me- slipping them in my locker, handing it to me discreetly in the halls or in another class, what have you. I then try to power through the dizzying amount of confusion radiating out of the teacher’s mouth and onto these papers, and more or less write out better translation of what was going on in whatever scene they covered, what the highlights they needed to know were, stuff like that, and then slip it back to them in similar discreet fashion (so the teacher/disciplinarian wouldn’t see me and get suspicious ; also because I was like 15 and wanted to feel like a super cool secret agent). They would then keep my copies and use them as study guides for the upcoming exams, where they would then answer all the questions correctly, the way the third party graders would mark correctly, and pass the exams + the bullshit essays would get them high marks in the teacher’s homework grades. The teacher never caught on to what was happening, just thought her students finally started paying attention to her.
All in all, it was a complicated mess, but it fucking worked. I don’t think anyone failed their exams that year. Will I ever be cooler? No. I think I fucking peaked when I was 15.
Did you ever have a genuine psychic/medium experience?
Although many readings can be attributed to cold readings or sheer coincidence sometimes it’s uncanny how accurate psychics/mediums can be. Here’s a collection of supposedly genuine experiences from threads. If you have an experience feel free to tag me @sixpenceee!
I never believe in palm /card readings. I don’t actually believe in it nowadays. BUT when I was in 9th grade, my friend took me with her to a fortune teller so she can have her future read. Surprisingly she mentioned about her love dilemma, a blonde guy and dark haired guy. She was completely convinced about her reading powers while I was meh… We’re teenagers, it’s natural we’ll find ourselves in situations like this. And then she predicted the scores she’ll get at the exams when you finish high school (in our country there are some mandatory subjects for the exams, thus multiple numbers) she guessed that right. If I think really hard about probabilities and stuff I can find a logic explanation to that as well.
About 5 years ago I saw a psychic that a family friend had told me was the real deal. I went in skeptical and came out a believer.
She used tarot cards and knew things that could have been lucky guesses, like that I had just bought a house and was renovating it, but she also knew specific things that no one else could have known.
The most amazing part of the whole thing was that she knew that I had some complications with my hormones and had a surgery in the past that would make getting pregnant very difficult, but she told me Despite all this, I would have a baby later in life. Toward the end of the reading she hands me the tarot cards and tells me to shuffle them. Then tells me to ask three questions in my mind one at a time. I decided to really test her authenticity so the first question I decided to ask was am I going to have children, and halfway through laying the five cards down, she stops and looks at me and scolds me saying “I already told you that you were going to have one child!” hah this is when I knew.
This was before I was born. My mom had a neighbor who was a grandpa who could see the future. He told my mom that my sister would be really sick when she became a preteen and not to worry because she’d be okay. When my sister was a preteen she was diagnosed with cancer and after a year and a half she was perfectly fine. My mom was pregnant with me when she met him again and he told her that I would be a c-section baby. My mom already knew this and said she had scheduled the c-section already since I was breach but he was adamant that she would have me on a certain day and that the c-section wouldn’t go on the planned day. I was born on the exact day he predicted.
Nothing too crazy but the fact that he knew that my sister would be sick and would be okay is crazy to me. He also didn’t want any money and approached my mom and asked if he could do a reading for her.
dear writers and creators; please think twice before ‘punishing’ one of your characters for being nice. whether hobbling them in the narrative by pushing them in the background or making them an object of ridicule, or by killing them off for shock value, or traumatizing them to the point that they are no longer kind and compassionate towards others. empathy is not a sign of immaturity or inadequacy, and good-hearted people deserve to be more than disposable springboards to boost your protagonist. thank you.
I want your hand in mine as we walk down the streets passing by window shops and not buying a damn thing.
I want you sat at your desk going through paper work while I sit on the sofa reading my favorite book for the 14th time. I want you to look at me while my eyes scan the torn pages and to think I want this for the rest of my life.
I want you in the kitchen attempting to help cook dinner but failing because the only thing you can focus on is how much food you can smother on my face.
I want you in a bubble bath with me sat between your legs. I want your hands soothingly drawing circles on my thighs and your lips leaving kisses behind my ears.
I want you on nights where it’s all too much and the only thing right is you and me.
I want you in the summer afternoons where the windows are open and a soft breeze that smells of the tulips in the garden is carried in. I want your favorite album to be playing and for us to be dancing along.
I want you in the car with you at the wheel and me in the passenger seat. I want your hand to be resting on my thigh while I listen to your out of tune singing.
I want you in bed with my head on your chest, your arm around my waist and our legs tangled. I want you touching me, not for sexual desire, but because it’s your touch that makes me feel safe, feel at home.
It’s one AM and these kinda just popped into my head LETS GO
• Connor fails his suicide attempt, Zoe finds him in his room about a minute after Connor swallowed a fuck ton of pills
•Evan hears about this cause Connor is always a main source of gossip at the school
• especially for Jared
• Evan thinks about when he failed his suicide attempt and knew, at least partly, how Connor felt
• Evan, knowing he wouldn’t be able to just walk up to Connor and start talking, starts writing letters
• Dear Connor Murphy, I heard what happened and I want you to know, I failed as well over the summer
• Evan always signing them as Sincerely Me
• Connor getting the first letter five days after he leaves the hospital, two days after he goes back to school
• Connor reading it, and thinking
• maybe I’m not completely alone
• Evan writes Connor a letter every Tuesday and Thursday
• Whenever Connor ditches school he makes sure it isn’t a Tuesday or Thursday
• Evan mentions things that go on in his life, how he wishes he could stand up for himself, how he wishes he could help his mother, how he wishes he could talk to the girl he likes
• Connor starts to develop feelings for the mystery writer but ignores it cause
• A. Who would like him
• B. I don’t even know who writes the letters, how the fuck can I be in love
• Evan slowly starts to make sure Connor is doing okay when ever Connor actually shows up to his math class
• Evan slowly starts to realize that he doesn’t like Zoe as much, but why?
• Evan shoots up in bed one night thinking
• Fuck. I like the school stoner
• Evan then slaps himself cause that’s not all that Connor is
• his mom hears him talking to himself and asks if everything is alright
• Evan quickly shouts back a yes, and gets back in bed, still thinking of Connor Murphy
• the last day of school before Christmas Break, Evan leaves a small gift at Connors locker and a note even though it’s Friday
• he’s surprised to see that Connor also left a gift at his locker for the mystery writer
• Evan puts it under the tree
• Heidi asks where it came from and Evan starts blushing and stuttering and mumbling about how he writes letters to Connor Murphy
• Heidi sees the light in her sons eye that hasn’t been there in years
• She bakes cookies for Evan to give to Connor
• Evan brings the cookies to the Murphy’s house, rings the door bell and runs
• Cynthia opens the door to see a plate of cookies and card saying ‘Dear Connor Murphy, have an excellent Christmas, sincerely me’
• Cynthia is super excited cause she believes that Connor has an actual FRIEND
• Cynthia takes the cookies up to her sons room
• Connor opens the door, glaring at his mother, and then he sees the cookies and the note card
• he picks it up and reads it quickly before blushing and grabs the plate, shutting his door
• on Christmas Evan opens Connors present last and is very happy to see that it’s a tree encyclopedia with a note that said ‘you always talk about how you love trees so, here’ and on the other side is a beautifully drawn tree
• CONNOR MURPHY CAN DRAW SO FUCKING WELL AND EVAN JUST MELTS AT THE TREE AND HE INSTANTLY PINS IT TO HIS WALL
• Connor opens his gift in his room, and is surprised to see two new black sweatshirts and a bottle of black nail polish, the saying ‘Dear Connor Murphy, your sweatshirts seem to have a lot of holes, I didn’t know if it was for comfort or what but I got you a new one. Oh and I really like your nails so here’s some more polish, sincerely me’ Connor actually smiles, and he feels all warm inside AND WHY DO I FEEL LIKE THIS WHAT THE FUCK
• Jared eventually finds out that Evan writes Connor letters cause he saw the tree on the wall while Evan was getting snacks and flipped it over and read the note
• he immediately asked Evan who it was from
• Evan blushes and mumbles Connor
• Jared demands a wider explanation
• he doesn’t stop teasing Evan about it
• At school Jared starts acting funny around Connor and Connor starts to freak out cause
• SHIT IS JARED THE LETTER GUY
• but he calms down for a second when Jared accidentally spills the beans
• Connor was reading another one of Evans’s notes, Jared walks up to him with a shit eating grin and says
• 'Another love note from Evan Tree Boy Hansen I see.’
• Connor is instantly relieved they’re not from Jared
• he then freaks out cause THE CUTE QUIET DORKY NERD THAT SITS BEHIND ME IN MATH WRITES ME FUCKING LETTERS
• Connor corners Evan after school
• Evan is nervous cause he thinks Connor hates him.
• he is pleasantly surprised when Connor gives him a quick thank you before dashing off
• Connor then starts to write Evan letters on Wednesdays and Fridays. Monday’s are the chill day
• Connor finally accepts that he totally loves Evan but he still thinks that Evan could never like him that way, especially since the guy Evan mentions in his letter can’t be him
• beautiful brown hair? Nope
• gorgeous blue eyes that seem to have a hint of brown in the left one? Well yes but they aren’t gorgeous, his are hideous
• a face that was crafted by God himself? Absolutely not
• Evan starts to wonder if Connor wants to be friends with him and asks him exactly that in a letter
• Connor replies with a 'no shit’ and his phone number
• Evan was ecstatic when they hung out for the first time
• so was Connor
• and their moms
• at the end of senior year, Evan tells Connor that he has to take a gap year to save up money
• Connor decides he’s not going to college without Evan as he doesn’t know how to make friends and he was just fucking lucky with Evan
• They were hanging out at Evans house the next winter and they both had a few drinks cause what 18 year old doesn’t drink. Evan isn’t THAT innocent guys
• they both tell each other that they like one another and share a small kiss that they both have wanted for a while
• they fall asleep on the couch, holding each other
Imma stop there. Feel free to add on, that was insanely long and I might write an actual thing for this?
You know, I’ve often wondered why it is we have children in the first place. And the conclusion I’ve come to is… At some point in our lives we realize things are screwed up beyond repair. So we decide to start again. Wipe the slate clean. Start fresh. And then we have children. Little carbon copies we can turn to and say, “You will do what I could not. You will succeed where I have failed.” Because we want someone to get it right this time.
So, first, I’ve got to say that I’m really, really, really busy.
I’ve got a graduation thesis to finish until next week, so I really
can’t do much over here. Btw, I’m so glad Eremin Month and Ex0’s
comeback will be after I’m done with that damn thesis, but anyway, let’s
get to the topic.
First, I’ve got to say that I didn’t watch the
last three or four episodes of Season 2 (I really don’t remember where I
stopped, that’s how crazy I am over everything I have to do). In any
case, I knew that the chapter 50 episode would come out one of these
weeks, and I checked the Eremin tag because, well, I wanted a sneak-peak
of how bad it would be. Well, from what I’ve seen, it was bad indeed.
I grabbed my volume 12 and went to look again at the scene, just to
soothe myself a little (or to scream over how baffling this whole thing
is, whichever you prefer), and I noticed something.
Mika.sa starts talking and Ere.n looks at Armi.n, we all know it. But then, Mika.sa says the following:
Ere.n is looking at her, alright? Look how cute this Ere//Mika moment is. We can’t deny that it is touching, though I can’t look at it with shipper eyes. Anyway, then, in the next page, we have this:
I don’t think it’s too clear in this image, but in my printed version is it clear enough to me. I’ll point it out:
says she’s thankful for Eren being with her and she says “Thank you for
teaching me how to live”, as you can see above. Then, Ere.n is looking
at her, but in the last panel we have here, you can see that he tilts
his body AND face towards Ar.min, while Mika.sa’s back is facing Ar.min,
which means Ere,n isn’t looking at her. I’m not here to belittle
Mika.sa’s and Ere;n’s relationship. What I wanted to say is: Ere.n hears
what Mika.sa says and looks at Ar.min. My shipper goggles say it’s not
coincidence. Let’s see why:
From what we’ve seen, Isa.yama has
emphasized time and time again that it was Ar.min who has shown Ere.n a
new perspective of life, and, from there, Ere.n has a goal in life,
he’s not living meaninglessly. Ar.min was responsible for that, and it
is explicitly said in the manga more than once. I’ll just throw here one
of these moments, so people who don’t pay enough attention won’t say
I’m delusional (and because I’m never tired of this scene):
what does this all mean? Well, after Mika.sa said that Ere.n taught her
how to live, he looks at Ar.min. Coincidence? My shipper goggles say
no. What I take from this is: Ere.n looks at Ar.min because, in his case, Ar.min is the one he’s thankful for teaching him how to live, and he doesn’t want to lose that. But this is just a theory to make me feel better about that damn
anime, my headcanon. If anyone agrees, great; If not, it’s okay, but if you come to throw shit at me, well, I don’t have time to discuss, but if I had, I have an arsenal of receipts to throw at anyone who comes saying eremin isn’t all that.
Hope we can all overcome this and that Isa;yama proves us again, as he always does, how important they are to each other.