Animals are not decor, fish are not decoration, fish are not aesthetics, they are sentient beings that need proper care.
Jars, flower base, “fish bowls” aren’t suitable homes for our aquatic friends, I know popular knowledge tells you betta fish are cheap, easy and can live in any thing with water, but this is animal abuse.
Nobody is born knowing and it’s ok if you thought your little friend was gonna be happy in those conditions, BUT it’s now a responsibility, ignorance is not a sin, but if you know what your pet needs and you still don’t want to take proper care of them, you shouldn’t own one. Internet is a blessing and you can easily research about proper care, here are the basics:
- Betta Fish need at least 2.5 gallons,but the more the better.
- Betta Fish need a low or non flow filter, without this there could be dangerous amount of ammonia and waste in the water.
- Betta Fish need a heater, they do better in 74-81 °F
- Betta Fish need water conditioner, anti-stress
- One tank = One betta.
- Decoration: They need hideouts and plants, they can be live plants or silk plants, plastic can hurt their fins.
- They need a LID, they tend to jump.
Fish are PETS, and NEED you to be responsible, it might be just a fish for you (I hope it’s not) but for them YOU are their entire world, our pets rely 100% in us, their health is a responsibility.