10 Reasons why you need to watch Scarlet Heart: Ryeo
1) The characterization is done superbly such that there’s no clear-cut black and white, good and evil, just like in reality - and the best part is that you know what drives each character’s motivations and why they think the way they do.
2) Wang So and Hae Soo form one of the most beautiful love lines ever - instead of needing each other just for the sake of it, Wang So truly depends on Hae Soo to find love and acceptance, while Hae Soo relies on Wang So for protection as she navigates an unknown world.
3) Wang Wook and Hae Soo’s love story is so tragic! I really wish this ship could have sailed but it sunk like the Titanic and I was sad. I want to hate Wang Wook but I can’t, and there’s something in his personality that really draws me to him.
4) So. Many. Hot. Actors. Plus they’re not just handsome, they’re really great at acting too!
5) Taeyeon, who is, like, my favourite OST Queen of all time, sang the OST for the drama!! Plus her OST is kind of like Wang Wook and Hae Soo’s theme song and it hits me in the feels in all the right places.
6) If you’ve watched the original Chinese version (bubujingxin) or read the novel, you would know how amazing this adaptation is because they managed to mould the storyline to fit Korean history, while at the same time preserving several key scenes/motifs/symbols from the original.
7) Even the sub-characters are developed so well that you feel something for them when they die.
8) Baek Ah and Woo Hee~ If my Wook-Soo ship can’t sail, at least let this cute couple get together. I’m really excited to see where this relationship will go.
9) It’s rare for a historical Korean drama to go so far back into Korean history. The only one I can think of is Great Queen Seondeok and maybe Hwarang when it comes out later in the year (plus it features Taehyung from BTS! Much excites!). So this series is “new” in it’s own way and I guess that’s why some customs (like marriage between half-siblings) is weird to the viewers.
10) Jisoo-Joohyuk bromance everywhere.