since trans day of visibility is coming up in a few days (march 31st), i figured i’d make a list of advice for cis people commenting on/reblogging people’s posts/selfies?
- do definitley like and reblog and tag and comment on our posts!! its what TDOV is for! show your support for the community by showing us some love
- dont post any selfies if ur cis. today is not about u
- if ur gonna comment about how great someone looks, great!!
- just make sure u use the right pronouns/descriptors. most people put their pronouns on their selfies, but if they dont its easy to check their bio to see if they have them!
- also dont say stuff like “wow ur prettier than I am!!” bc that implies that u think cis ppl are more attractive as a default, so its insulting and patronising
- if the post is one with pics from multiple stages throughout someones transition, pls dont say “its not fair u get to be hot in both genders!” because thats cissexist n transphobic and adheres to the “used to be a X” rhetoric and erases people with fluid genders and implies that cis ppl inherently deserve to be hotter/better
- go thru the tdov tags!! spread some love to all of us (not just conventionally attractive and/or passing people)
- its not only selfies either. lots of ppl post some really cool content so dont miss out on that either
thats all i can think of rn. feel free to add on if u want
EDIT: okay so lots of people have said things along the lines of “im going to post selfies and theres nothing you can do about it” or “i want to post selfies anyway” and like. cool. whatever. im all for celebrating urself with selfies. just,, dont make this day about you okay? like keep out of the tags and dont make it an ally thing. and to the people who want to post selfies just because its a trans ppl day and for no other reason: fuck u