1) the beatles method- sue the shit out of each other and never get back together due to rare tragedy (v rare)
2) the duran duran method- the band never really breaks up at all, just continues with different lineups and still has a decent amount of success, not a lot of personal drama or fighting, generally good vibes (backstreet boys are another good example of this)
3) nsync method- ‘ha we’re just taking a break i swear, ill still work with the band and do solo stuff’ and then one member gets too famous to want to rejoin ever again (see also the jacksons/jackson 5, destiny’s child since mid 2000s)
4) spice girls method- one member thinks they’re hot shit and leaves suddenly and does not find solo success and eventually goes back with the band like 10 years later.
5) take that method- very rare instance when a member can go solo and have huge success and former band can also have success without them. then huge solo dude gets back with the band and has success. the ultimate goal for boy bands really
6) monkees method- keeps releasing albums to fulfill contractual obligations far beyond their moment of popularity/relevance, losing members and album sales along the way.