NON-SPOILER REVIEW OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES
HOLY CRAP IT IS FINALLY HERE! Let me tell you, I have been anticipating this film since it was announced that Javier would be playing the villain back in 2015. I have tracked it, followed it, and kept an eye on it for two years straight now… and now I’ve seen it! So, was it good?
Let’s start with the pros of this film, because there are quite a few!
- The CGI in this film was absolutely incredible. It was groundbreaking. The ships looked amazing, the open waters were beautiful, the creatures in the film looked awesome, and of course, Capitan Salazar’s CG hair looked seamless. No complaints there.
- The acting in this film was great. Johnny Depp was as usual, fantastic in his role of Captain Jack Sparrow, and he was hilarious as usual. I was fortunate to see the film in a rather packed IMAX theater, and the crowd loved Jack and his humor. The new cast members were great, as well. Though personally, I found Henry to be the better of the two new young faces. He had a more compelling motivation, and was a better actor than Kaya, I thought. Javier Bardem as Capitan Armando Salazar was fantastic, though I expected nothing less. He was menacing, terrifying, unpredictable, and still carried a bit of that Javier charm that he adds to every role. Loved it. Best part of the movie.
- Capitan Salazar is a pro in himself. He was a fantastic villain whom you really understood and even could empathize with. However, I do have one complaint about the character that I will address further down.
- This film did a great job at really recapturing that sense of adventure that some of the other films lacked. It was amazing to hear that iconic Pirates score and watch Jack Sparrow try and escape his ill-fortune once again. For that, I commend the filmmakers a job well done.
- The score in this film is fantastic as well. Though it isn’t Hans Zimmer this time around, the new composer did a fantastic job. There were several moments in the film where the music was just breathtaking, AND THE SCORE WHEN THE CREDITS ARE ROLLING WAS AMAZING. If anyone knows the title of that track, I would appreciate the info!
Let’s get to some cons, because there are a few things that did bother me a little.
- The new characters were not very compelling. In particular, I found that I really didn’t care at all about Carina, even though there is a major plot reveal in the film that ties in with her. I found that her acting was okay, but she in herself lacked a bit. Her motivation for searching for the Trident wasn’t quite strong enough and kind of got lost in the storyline.
- Which reminds me… in the middle of the film, the plot gets a bit convoluted. You have Barbossa’s ships, Salazar’s ship, the British Navy’s ships, and Jack’s ship, and they are all pretty much chasing after each other. I could have done without the British Navy subplot, though they and their ship did suffer a pretty awesome fate. But the film did kind of jump around a lot, and at times it was difficult to keep up.
- Captain Salazar. NOW HOLD UP. YOU KNOW I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT JAVS OR HIS BADASS GHOST VILLAIN, so take a breath. My con, is that once again, I felt like Javier’s villain was a bit underutilized. We see him quite a bit, and his presence in the film is the central plot point that keeps the characters moving to their destination. His character is what keeps that sense of urgency present throughout the movie. However, I wanted more. Better yet, I wanted to see Salazar come up with some sort of plan or strategy. I just needed more Salazar overall, as he was my favorite part of the movie.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is not a perfect film, nor was it ever supposed to be. I think that that is where many critics get lost. They expect every damn movie they see to be the greatest thing ever. No. Take it for what it is, Pirates 5 is a fun, entertaining adventure film that will make you laugh, cry, and feel everything in between. It may not be the best adventure film ever, but it has a lot of heart, and it shows.
My score 8/10