hey baelor, what are some tips when it comes to gifmaking in general?
idk let me just list my pet peeves about bad gifs?
- if a gif looks bad don’t post it……………. like i have not posted gifs before because i couldn’t make them look good
- brightness/contrast, color editing, # frames, canvas size, gif options can ALL affect how good a gif looks. sometimes slight tweaks to several of those will make your gif looks good and fit the 1mb size better than just being like ok let’s edit only brightness/contrast until it fits. they all affect each other
- DITHERING IS PART OF THE AESTHETIC OF THE GIF AND PART OF THE CONTENT. IT CAN MAKE A COLOR THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FLAT LOOK GRAINY - A VERY COMMON AND SPECIFIC EXAMPLE IS SKIN IN GIFS FROM ANIME AND CARTOONS - ITS SUPPOSED TO BE FLAT. IF THE DITHER IS THERE IT LOOKS LIKE THE CHARACTER HAS CHICKEN POX OR STUBBLE PAY ATTENTION TO DITHERING LOL
- OMG AND I CANT BELIEVE PEOPLE DONT KNOW THIS BUT THE WIDTH OF HALF-SIZED GIFS IS NOT 250PX ITS 245PX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK IT MAKES GIFS LOOK BLURRY IF IT’S THE WRONG SIZE
- also only make gifs the exact widths: 500, 245, 160px nothing else..
- some people like double sharpen or something because the sharpen-artifacts look sharpenened..
- and shadows shouldn’t be sharpened if they are it looks like there’s a white line and there obviously shouldn’t be..
- personally i screenshot each frame and paste it into photoshop one-by-one by hand. idk if people are lazy and have a program do it for them but sometimes frame rates mess up and you have to select which frames to use in an organic way, not just have a program pick every other frame which can select in-between interlaced frames and stuff..
- and aspect ratio can get messed up too and that bothers me SOOO much like a gif that should look like this:
- looks like this:
- don’t post that shit
- what else um omg yeah people think like they can only have a certain number of frames and stuff? you could have a gif that’s the biggest size possible and have 100000 frames if they’re all just blank.. there’s no fixed quantity you can or can’t have
- also on the topic of frames don’t take EVERY frame take every other frame or every third frame.. that way you can fit more of the content instead of just having a character’s mouth saying one word in like slow motion and the subtitle is a pararaph..
- and on the topic of frame rates, make it natural and matching the original video speed of motion.. it’s usually 24fps or 30fps, not like 3 frames per second
- every gif will look kinda grainy because of dithering so you should try to get rid of graininess before making the gif……….. which can be helped with increasing the contrast
- lol when something leaks in bad quality don’t go making bad gifs of it………………………….. wait for good quality to make gifs
- PUT OUTLINES ON SUBTITLES
- and honestly don’t watermark your gifs unless it’s your own content you’re gifing…………………………………………………
omg and ready i’m about to unleash some hate on the fake 3d gif trend that still explicably comes back every once in a while
- we’ve all seen them
- (source) FAKE 3D GIFS ARE MEANT TO BE AN ILLUSION. it’s supposed to look like a normal gifset until something crosses the white bars and you’re like OH THAT’S COOL IT LOOKS LIKE IT’S COMING OUT OF THE PHOTOSET
- but the most important thing is you retain the ILLUSION.
- so the bars HAVE to be exactly 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across (or exactly ½ if you’re making it look like two gifs instead of three) AND THEY HAVE TO BE 10PX WIDE!!!!!!!!!! i’ve seen too many where the bars aren’t in the right spot and aren’t 10px wide SUCH AS
- that doesn’t look like a real photoset that something comes out of, it looks like a bad 3d photoset and there is no illusion
- next, photosets are automatically expanded whereas single pictures are not. so if your fake photoset is uploaded as a single picture, and looks like this on people’s dashboards:
- and you have to click to expand it….. you guessed it, THE ILLUSION IS BROKEN
- finally, it’s supposed to look 3d, meaning this:
- makes no sense. the bars could not physically be in that position both behind and in front of the car and road, so don’t make a gif of it.. it only looks good when there’s a purpose like this:
- (source) and it makes physical sense BUT PEOPLE DON’T kNOW WHAT THEY’RE DOING SO STOP LOL
no one outside of tumblr makes good gifs
finally it’s pronounced gif not jif and the fact that you have to spell it jif to indicate the wrong pronunciation proves this
i hope you enjoyed those unbiased, eloquently-written general beginners gifmaking tips (: