Thoughts on the HTGAWM finale
…..okay, what the fuck.
• One of the first thing that struck me was when after Connor’ confession to being at the house the night of the fire, Laurel told him he should kill himself. Seriously?? That was so out of character! Laurel is grieving, Laurel is feeling miserable, and I will fight anyone who calls her annoying for dealing with such a horrendous loss, but pushing someone to suicide? Laurel Castillo would NEVER do that. Her mother was mentally ill for crying out loud, she knows what it’s like to struggle with depression and she never would have said those words, so already we’re off to a bad start from the writers. (It was also much more gut-wrenching since we knew from the opening scene Connor was actually suicidal.)
• Talking about Connor. I don’t know what to think. He made us all extremely angry over the past few eps with his attitude towards Wes but we’ve always known that to him, being self-destructive and making people hate him is a coping mechanism. It doesn’t excuse what he said, but it explains it and I still think he’s a redeemable character. Also for what happened when he found Wes, he seemed to have done his best and seeing him come clean about it was very poignant. Falahee’s acting was particularly impressive this episode.
• Oliver’s arc keeps on revolving solely around Connor lmao. I loved their dynamic in seasons 1 and 2, but season 3 was messy and they don’t seem to have fixed their issues. It’s sweet how much they care about each other, I was convinced by Oliver’s worry and I smiled at his proposal but it’s mostly thanks to the actors’ chemistry rather than the writing. Connor and Oliver “love” each other yes, but this finale felt like a cheat-way out of actually digging deep into their relationship troubles.
• I stay not caring about Asher. I’m sorry. I don’t like him. I don’t give a shit about Frank either. I was happy when he said “it should have been me, I know” because YES IT SHOULD HAVE
• Michaeala is such an interesting character. Weirdly enough, the whole struggle about the “i love you” didn’t bother me I didn’t think it took away from the gravity of the ep. I never complain about a look into Mic’s psyche. Although I don’t like her relationship with Asher.
• And now onto the real real issue I have with this episode. How they handled the Wes storyline. Fucking awful. That scene towards the end showing Wes crawling to the door and being caught by his murderer, overlapped with Annalise demonizing him and pinning everything on him? I was bawling my eyes out. How could they do him this dirty. He was good. He was kind. He was a gentle mentally ill black man who worked hard and was about to be a father. He deserved better than this. I had harvested the hope he would be revealed to be alive but. No. He wasn’t. He was murdered and he was slandered through his death, by the same woman who claimed to love him as a son. Another weird writing decision. We know Annalise can be ice cold and goal-oriented but would she really drag Wes through the mud after he died?! Even to protect the others? It ripped my heart out.
• I would like to say though that the reval of who killed Wes, it being a hitman employed by Laurel’s father and/or ADA Danver wasn’t the worst choice the writers could have made. I wouldn’t have accepted him being killed by another Keating5. Wes still deserved better though. Oh and Bonnie calling him a murderer was fucking rich lmao, she’s the only cold-blooded assassin of the group, second worst is Asher who literally ran Sinclair over with his car bc she was.. being mean? Wes only killed Sam because Sam was about to kill Rebecca and everyone still blamed him. I want to scream.
• The whole Charles was Wes’ father not Wallace???? What the hell? How old is this kid? Made no sense! Seemed like a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist.
• The baby plotline? Is Laurel going to keep it? I don’t know. I feel nothing. Except that that baby should have grown up with two parents. Also Laurel seems to be heading towards a dark direction judging by how she seemed ready to just shoot Charles Mahoney in the middle of the street?
• I don’t want to watch season 4 after what they did to Wes. But I want to see Dominic and Mr Castillo and ADA Danver rot in hell. Dilemma.
Tell me your thoughts! If you agree/disagree I would love to talk.