I was just wondering, do you have any favourite fics you could recommend? I ask because I find fic authors tend to be 'sponges', so to speak, so if their writing is good, their taste in fic is also really good. And I've kinda fallen in love with your writing.
Oh Nonny, do I ever! You’re right that we authors tend to be fic sponges :D (And thank you for your compliment of my writing, it means more than you know!!)
I have no idea what you like so I’m just going to bombard you with fic in the hopes that something will stick. Feel free to send me another ask if you have more specific requests, or simply want to explore a certain genre further - trust me, I have plenty more where this came from!
Well, first off, basically absolutely anything @chocolatequeennk has ever done. Nancy is truly my queen and my writer crush, she can do no wrong. If you haven’t read her Being to Timelessness series, you absolutely need to do so immediately. Assuming you have, and series rewrites are your thing, I have quite a few more I can recommend to you if you want me to do a follow up.
While we’re on the subject, I also highly recommend the works of @lastbluetardis (HiddenTreasures on Ao3): she’s written a lot of incredible reunion/fixit fics which, if you like my writing, I’m sure you’ll adore as much as I do.
In terms of individual fics, I’m going to go ahead and organise them for you by theme (the tag on my weekly fic rec post is I Read Too Much Fic™ so this shouldn’t come as a surprise). Most of these are Ten/Rose unless otherwise stated.
But I do have to recommend The Adventures of the Doctor and Rory the Roman here because it’s the only one on here that isn’t Doctor/Rose (sorry!) This fic chronicles the 2000 years the Centurion spent guarding the Pandorica, because Moffat hates continuity and consequences and loves throwing big numbers around (sorry, not sure if you’re a Moffat fan or not) but either way this fic fills in a lot of blanks and it’s absolutely unique and necessary.
Okay? Here goes!
- I recently read Desperado, which is a really interesting take on the dimension-hopping Rose trope which I love so much, mostly concerned with her time in Pete’s World.
- On Degrees of Forever by @thebaddestwolf is one of my absolute favourite reunion fics. I’m trash for LDR-like stories and this one is simply wonderful.
- A Jump of Three Lifetimes by @leftennant is another one that I keep coming back to because there aren’t enough Ten x Rose x Tentoo fics. It’s not really an OT3 fic though - the story is more so Rose reunion shagging her way through the other Doctors. Feel free to hard pass if that’s not your thing!
- Congruence and Divergence by @allegoricalrose is what I imagine watching a galaxy be born must look like. Every word is like a musical note that makes a symphony in my heart every time I read it. VERY angsty Doomsday fixit, but more than worth it.
- Foundations by @pipertennant - this is a pregnancy fic that actually made me cry from all the beauty before my eyes. Simply gorgeous prose.
- 5 Times People Asked Rose Tyler About the Father of Her Baby by @lauraxxtennant is my absolute favourite kidfic. Hands down. It’s what inspired me to write my own and strikes the perfect balance between Rose’s strength and sadness, and I’m convinced that Joshua is what the actual son of the Doctor would be like.
- One Crowded Hour also by @allegoricalrose is exactly what I said above on their other fic but also a pregnancy fic. Full of raw, real emotion and twists and breathing life. This fic sat in my heart and mind for days after I finished it.
- But Broken Lights has some of the best Rose/Doctor character writing I’ve ever read (pro tip: it was intended to lead into a series which never materialised; though the story itself is complete, you can stop reading when you get to the ++ near the bottom of chapter 11 if you don’t want a pointless cliffhanger.)
- And Always - this one is… interesting. It’s one of my favourite stories ever but it is very much not for everyone. It’s the second of two fics in a series that assumes that the Doctor never left Jack behind, but that the pain of being around him after Bad Wolf changed him is too much and they must always stay thirty feet apart. This is a problem because it’s implied that they were in a three-way relationship with Rose before the Game Station. In this story, Rose comes to Jack’s hotel room dressed as the Doctor and… things go the way you’d expect.
- Marked is the best treatment of the ‘shag or die’ trope I’ve ever read. I really like it, it treats the subject matter with respect and gravity, and I love the way it shows the relationship between Rose and the Doctor.
- new everything by @lauraxxtennant: here, have something that isn’t angst! Regeneration + truth serum = times, they are a-changin’!
- Senses Only Divide Us by @tenscupcake: OH MY GOSH THIS FIC. The Doctor is rendered blind and deaf in the course of an adventure and so Rose has to use touch [;)] to reassure him and it’s the best hurt/comfort fic I have ever read.
- A Long History by @jessalrynn: And finally, the doozie. The apex. The ultimate. This fic. If you haven’t read it yet, do yourself a favour. Rose meets a young One and they fall in love and it’s the most beautiful thing in the universe. BUT BE WARNED: it is 100% canon compliant. I won’t spoil it any more than that but I’ve written here about how I wasn’t warned and it destroyed my soul. Just know that it is absolutely worth every second.
I hope this sates your fic requirement for a while, Nonny! If you still need more, you can always feel free to ask again, like I said before, or you can check in my fic rec and pella reads tags: I do weekly fic rec of all the fic I’ve read in the previous week. Happy reading!
(PS - I’m assuming you wanted Doctor Who recs since that’s what my blog/writing is mostly about but I’m more than happy to recommend Dragon Age, Final Fantasy XII, or even Pirates of the Caribbean fic if you want. Lemme know!)