i really want to start bullet journaling but i have no idea how to get started, do you have any tips for beginners? thx so much :)
hello! my bullet journal is kind of trash and i’m still experimenting with an entry style that i like, but here goes:
1. start whenever you want. a lot of people think they have to start at the beginning of the school year or the calendar year. that’s not true! it might be a bit easier to start at the beginning of a month tho, bc then you can start with a monthly setup.
2. use whatever notebook you want. you really don’t need a “brand name” notebook (like a moleskine or leuchtturm)!! personally, I use the essentials A5 grid notebook, which is rlly great.
3. if you’re unsure, go with dot grid or grid. i have a grid notebook, which is super helpful for drawing lines and centering layouts. dot grid notebooks are also pretty popular because the dots are less obtrusive than lines and you can do detailed art and calligraphy and stuff without worrying about grid lines. personally, that doesn’t bother me at all tho. lined and blank notebooks can also work, but it takes more effort to center things
and i’m lazy lol.
4. don’t stress about it! there are a ton of bullet journals that are super artsy online and tbh when I first looked at them after starting my bullet journal I felt really bad bc I can’t do that kind of handwriting or calligraphy or art. don’t fall into that trap. your bullet journal is an extension of YOUR style, not that account on tumblr or instagram. it’s okay if your calligraphy is less than perfect when you’re first starting out, or if your handwriting is a mess, or if your art isn’t polished and perfect. just stick with it, and you’ll eventually develop a style that you like!
5. it’s okay to copy layouts. honestly when I first started out, I had no idea what kind of layouts would work for me. I couldn’t come up with one I liked myself, so I tried using the layouts that worked for other people. at first I felt super guilty and bad about being so uncreative. don’t think that! you’ll have no idea what works for you if you don’t try out different layouts. and using ones that work for other people is a good way to do that!
6. don’t feel pressured to doodle or make it perfect. your bullet journal is supposed to help you be more productive. if a simple one works best for you, then do that. personally, I’m more productive when I don’t decorate, but doing calligraphy is really fun for me, so during my breaks I like to letter in my journal.
that’s about all i’ve got! if you want some high quality advice, check out @studyign‘s youtube channel; she has a lot of bujo videos on there which were super helpful for me!