what are a few things you DON'T like about gilmore girls? not characters or anything, but like the way things were written and how they handled certain things and things you just can't Get Over™.
this is gonna make it seem like i hate the show like i truly love it but its problematic as hell so like ya i have a few issues
- lack of diversity (only 3 main characters of color (michel, lane, mrs kim), 2 of whom are supposed to be korean but have japanese actors; 1 gay character whose sexuality was only made specific in the revival and (to me) seemed like an “afterthought”; emily’s maid in the revival, etc)
- offensive jokes (the fat, trigger, and gay jokes in the revival; the gay/lesbian jokes in the og series; the “thats my native american name” joke; abeist jokes (i know they exist but i cant think rn so i cant give a specific example), the fact that she named a character (g*psy) a slur; etc)
- woody allen references (and references to other abusers)
- i dont like how the characters look down on anyone (especially other women) who don’t share the same taste in them….the one scene that comes to mind is when lindsey says she like michelle branch & the others character like….physically cringe. (lol i know this is a thing real ppl do too but i hate it and its just a pet peeve of mine)
- luke and lorelai falling apart because of how they handled the april situation…..im sorry but luke wouldve talked to lorelai about it. he wouldve wanted her help. he wouldve wanted her and april to have a good relationship. it was ooc and they only had him do it to cause drama
- chris slept with lorelai when she was upset and vulnerable and he clearly took advantage of her but no one in the show seems to care?? or notice how gross that is????
- the romanticization of chris in general. and dean. and jess. and logan. lmfao
- the lack of development between season 7 and the revival, in terms of both character development (rory, for example) and plot development (lorelai only bringing up kids like 8 years after they got back together)
asdfgh i promise i dont hate the show im just not a fan of asp or her humor or her brand of feminism so a lot of my problems w/the show stem from her and like….ya