ATTENTION FELLOW WHITE PEOPLE
I just keep seeing this, and often from people who are otherwise well educated and informed!
AAVE (African American Vernacular English) is not for us to use. Using AAVE is appropriative. Some words and phrases that white people have been throwing around and need to stop using:
- x game too strong
- Real talk
- Shade/Throwing shade
- Not about that life
- Werk/Werk it
- word/word is bond
- “that was a read, gurl!”/“s/he read you for filth!”
- nah son
- “a hot mess”
- “he’s/she’s/they’re messy” - when talking about how someone carries themselves.
- “*2chainz voice* truuuuuuuuu”
- drag me/him/her
- girl/bitch bye
- “off the (top of the) dome”
- God is good
- The struggle is real
- “I’m here for/not here for it”
- ”____ gives me life”
- “aight” or “a’ight”
- “who you finna try, I bet it ain’t me"
- "Jesus be a [noun]”
- feeling some type of way
- snow queen
- game on point
- serving up looks/ aethetics
- fierce (White gays will never let this one go)
- giving me all my life
- turn up
- spillin’ tea (not literally of course)
- drag/dragging/dragged (to get dragged)
And for fuck’s sake, stop making jokes about twerking and stop trying to twerk. This is not for you.
These are just off the top of my head but I will add more if anyone has suggestions.
And, of course, if I ever use a word or term that is AAVE please feel free to call me out.