To the Anon(s) who sent this: first of all, if you are different Anons, then Anon #2, people are allowed to romance who they like and just because you think she looks ‘dopey’ doesn’t mean they shouldn’t enjoy her character. I think Quinn looks great, even though her hair design makes no sense, what is going on back there?
If, however, you are the same anon, first of all, you need to learn the difference between controversial and racist. I’m not sure why you sent me that ask, unless you wanted to because you knew how much I love Sean. He’s on my wallpaper on mobile, I post about him 24/7, and I hosted an Appreciation Week for him not too long ago. Maybe you were looking for a reason to send something like this. Well. Here’s my answer.
This ask above is racist and crude and awful, and here are six points about it:
- First, a disclaimer. I am white, I have never experienced oppression based on my race and I do not and can not and should not speak for the black community.
- This is disgusting. How dare you propagate racist ideas and language against one of the black characters in this fandom, especially one of the few canon black LI’s. This action you have taken is the lowest form of humanity.
- The writers of Endless Summer listened to us when we said we’d like to spend a more even amount of time with the LI’s in Book 2, and we’ve gotten a much more even balance between Sean, Jake, Quinn, and Estela. However, Jake still has more content than any of the other LI’s, and has upgraded in the relationship between himself and MC faster than the other LI’s. This means that the balance is tipped in Jake shipper’s favors. This means no one has denied you anything that was rightfully yours.
- This is actually a very good way for me to say that I’ve noticed people in this fandom saying that they dislike James, Sean, or Mr. Sloan or the black version of the Prince in particular because, and I quote a few of you, “I prefer to date my own race.” That is racist and crude.
- Block me. Block me right now if you are the anon that sent this first ask, and reconsider your views on this situation. I do not ever want to associate with you in any way shape or form.
- Dear Wider Choices fandom, please be aware that when people call you out and say ‘That’s racist”, “That’s homophobic”, “That’s misogynistic”, that they are most likely right. Take a few steps back and evaluate what happened. Saying “I can’t be racist/homophobic/misogynistic because I have black/gay/female friends” is not an excuse. Please be aware that when people say they’ve noticed problematic behavior in the fandom, they are not making things up. They are not fabricating it, and it is real and it should be dealt with.
I love this fandom, I love it so much that it’s hard for me to describe. This fandom has been the rebirth of my creativity and my adoration and enjoyment of wider media. I’ve made great friends here and been exposed to wider views and parts of the world. Please be aware that our fandom does not exist in a vacuum, and please be aware of what you’re writing and saying and more specifically, doing. Please be kind and please erase this kind of hatred. We’re better than this by so much, so. Love Trumps Hate.