Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko the dweebs, being all BFF and hanging out together, probably discussing stuff about Republic City and how awesome and cool it’s gonna be (well, before sh*t got real of course ;XD )
Sometimes I feel like he gets reduced to a stereotype and/or trope of himself, basically, like there are two things that always get referred to - his physical, ahem, attractiveness, and his hidden heart of gold. Which is fine, this is great for him, but also… we don’t really delve that deep?
This is maybe just indicative of the fact that the females in the books get far more scrutiny than the male characters. But that does a disservice to them, tbh, bc we pretty much talk about Cassian in relation to Nesta and… what else? That’s basically it. I mean if there were no nessian, what would we say about him? Maybe it’s actually ironic that he is talked about usually in terms of Nesta, and not outside of that potential relationship.
But give me his relationship with Mor, and with Azriel, and with Rhysand. Like… that’s so fascinating?
Bless 👏 this 👏 cinematic 👏 masterpiece 👏 Honestly, this movie makes you root for Thor. I’m so happy this film is the one Marvel’s ending 2017 on, like, what a come back. The pacing, the score, the humor, the characters, the colors, the PLOT! Usually I avoid trailers like the plague because I feel like they give too much of the film away. And admittedly I only watched one or two of the Thor: Ragnarok trailers. But holy shit, those two trailers were the single greatest misdirect of Marvel cinematic history! I mean, the trailers made the movie look good, but the actual movie was EVEN BETTER!!!!!! WOW. Bravo trailer producers, way to do it right!
Here are some of my favorite things about Thor: Ragnarok: ————————————- • First of all, MURDER PUPPY!!!!!!!! I WANT ONE.
• Soundtrack on point, absolutely perfect!!!
• Hela’s hair!!!!!!! Goals.
• The fight choreography!!!!! Holy shit well done, way to get me so pumped up I can’t get to bed until 2 a.m.! Nice.
• The COLORS! I am IN LOVE with Marvel’s new MCU branding holy shit. All the neon is fueling my soul!
• Those camera angles! Real talk, that scene where we get Loki and Valkyrie walking up to the Grandmaster and the camera circles from behind them, through the floor, and then back up in front of them???? *fans self*
• The Grandmaster - what a character. Omg, he pulls you in. He’s that kind of dangerous charismatic where you know there’s something off about him, the planet, this whole situation. But man, is it easy to just forget about all that when the Grandmaster starts talking.
• They made Thor likeable, they made him relatable, they showed him mature?????? Like, in the span of 2.5 hours we watched Thor go from “douche-bag, my actions have no consequences, I do what I want” dudebro to “responsible, respectful, funny, I take responsibility for my actions and learn from them” dudebro???? HELL YES FINALLY. AND they didn’t give him his hammer back at the end because - guess what?? - he’s the Lord God of Thunder and he doesn’t fucking NEED it. Omg, he’s just raw POWER there by the end holy fuck.
• This movie listened to the fans and gave us what we deserve - good character development for EVERYONE. Thor, Hulk, Valkyrie, the Executioner, Odin, Loki, Bruce got some development, heck - they even fleshed out Hela’s character without cornering her into the stereotypical “Woman Scorned” trope!
Now, hear me out on that. It looks at first glance like she is the “Woman Scorned,” and yes - she was scorned by Odin. But! Instead of her motivation being simply, “I was burned so now I will exact my revenge,” (cinematically setting her up to fail) she plays the long game. Hela waits. She waits because she knows Odin will die one day, and I don’t know if any of you noticed, but she didn’t waste any time thinking of a new revenge plot when she got back to Asgard.
She just picked right up where she left off before Odin banished her. His banishing her was a blip on her radar, it *didn’t phase her at all.* It was nothing to her. I mean, yeah she was pissed, who wouldn’t be? But she wasn’t pulling any of this shit to get revenge on the Asgardians. She wouldn’t have touched them if they had submitted to her rule. She was not there for revenge, she was there to finish what she started. To have Asgard be the ruling land of the entire universe, beyond the nine realms, with her on the throne.
AND SHE WAS WINNING!!!! Thor had to literally kick-start the Nordic apocalypse, the very thing he was initially trying to prevent, just to stop her! Like, my Death Wife is a force not to be reckoned with, she will beat your ass without a thought. And she loves Fenris, what a good mom 😍
• There was no happy, tied up with a bow ending!!!! I just said this, but I’m gonna say it again, they had to purposefully trigger Ragnarok and burn Asgard to the ground in order to defeat Hela. There was no magic “Get out of jail free” card to win here. Losing was their only option: either lose to Hela or lose to the start of Ragnarok. Consequences from actions in past movies were felt. Hard. That’s so rare to see in a superhero movie. I am here 👏 for 👏 it 👏
• Hi, yes. Could Hela please crush me? It would be an honor. Hela is a brutal fighter and I’m LIVING FOR IT. She held nothing back, she single-handedly took out the entire Asgardian army!!! Homegirl lived up to her title holy shit yessss. First, Wonder Woman, then Atomic Blonde, and now Thor: Ragnarok. 2017 is delivering the most bad ass women on the big screen!!
• Speaking of, CAN WE TALK ABOUT VALKYRIE???? Like, homegirl can get it. What a woman, I love her. She straight up annihilated that scavenger group while absolutely shitfaced. She has authority on this chaos-ridden planet, you can see it when she talks to the Grandmaster. He respects her! She’s good, and she knows it. Yes! Let women be proud of and flaunt their skills in combat!
° Thor wanted be a Valkyrie when he grew up, if that ain’t the cutest shit…..He has such respect and admiration for her, you can see it in the way he speaks about and acts toward her. Fanboy!Thor is pure.
• No Romance!!!! Bless
• ASGARD’S NOT A PLACE IT’S A PEOPLE 😢😢😢😭😭😭😭
• Omg the sibling dynamic was strong. We got to see some growth here between Thor and Loki, bless.
° Thor just throwing random shit at his brother to see if he’s actually physically there. ° Loki turning himself into Thor’s favorite animal (a SNAKE btw) just so he could go “surprise!” and stab him. ° Loki having MULTIPLE opportunities to ditch Thor and leave him and Asgard to burn yet coming back at the last second every single time to help his bro??? (With the ulterior motive of having the spotlight to himself, but come on!) ° Thor outsmarting Loki (CHARACTER GROWTH LOOK WHO’S NOT A STUPID JOCK) at every turn and knowing he can’t fully trust Loki but also knowing that Loki’s NEVER going to provide help unless he gets something out of it? And knowing how to *play* Loki right back. Knowing how to trick the trickster into helping by playing the dick older brother “You’re a trickster, you won’t help” card. He knows Loki’ll want to prove him wrong. ° GET. HELP. ° ExcuUse you Marvel. Where’s my bro hug?!?!?!?
• Bruce!!! My smol anxious green bean with 7 PhDs, I will protect you!
• Thor trying his best to help Bruce through a panic attack with his limited knowledge of Natasha’s lullaby.
• Canon proof that the Hulk isn’t some dumb rage machine! He’s smart, has a sense of humor, shows restraint, can string full sentences and thoughts together. Why would anyone expect otherwise? The guy lives in the head of BRUCE BANNER. What? You think he didn’t pick anything up? Geeezeee.
• The new brotp is Hulk and Valkyrie, I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
• Fuck Strange. He didn’t need to be there. The shoehorning was real. Ughhh.
• R.I.P. Tony’s pants
Thor: Ragnarok a.k.a. my longest “Yeah Boi” ever. ———————————- 10/10, Marvel’s getting it’s MCU groove back. This movie reminded me so much of the “Thor: God of Thunder” comics by Aaron and Ribic. It’s so good and it’s so unforgiving. Ugh! I want more!!!! The critics got it right, you guys. This movie is so good.
You deserve some good in your life, so go see Thor: Ragnarok. You will leave a happy bean and feeling like you can conquer any obstacle in your life.
I recently realized that the older I get, the more I have started to pick out BroTPs in my favorite fandoms instead of OTPs. Don’t get me wrong. I love a good Disney-style love story as much as the next guy, but in real life, at least, romantic relationships are highly complex and can be difficult to navigate, and sometimes you just need the simplicity of a good platonic relationship with no romantic strings attached. Romance is great, but I think we tend to overvalue it even within our OTPs because the basis for any good relationship really comes back to friendship–not grand gestures or flowers or chocolates. And of course, on the flip side, a lot of people are perfectly content to be single. Happiness shouldn’t depend on one’s relationship status, but I think as a society, we have conditioned ourselves to appreciate romance so much that people feel like being in a bad romantic relationship might be better than being alone. I love my OTPs and all the fluffy fics and adorable drawings of them, but I no longer feel quite as strongly about the need to ship them and ONLY them romantically as I once did. Love stories are a lot of fun, but friendship is every bit as valuable, and sometimes that’s all a character needs to be content.
We are leaving. He away from his abuse. Me away from everything holding me back in this small town. We were never the festive kind, and he wasn’t feeling good because I just removed him from his roots by force.
there was a beginning. The life we had dreamed of.
We’re ought to have a celebration of a sort, so I brought sparklers. We always liked those.
We, are finally leaving. To a new life where we can set the rules and be free from the pain that left its marks on his body, and my soul.
Black sighed then murmured; “I…I think I’m gonna cry.” It sounded more like he’s in shock that that was what he was feeling.
I didn’t understand why he, a crybaby would be shocked, or even need to utter these words out loud.
I didn’t understand why I, who waited for this day for years upon years, shared his feeling.
If it took Mor 400 years to convince Azriel to come out to Rita’s with the Inner Circle, what was he doing before?
Bc it’s super sad to picture him just sitting at the House of Wind, all alone, going through Spy Reports or something, but also was he the Squad Dad? Like, waiting up for everyone and tucking them into bed and leaving water and idk fae aspirin on the nightstands?
Azriel helping Rhys stumble to bed while he’s singing something unintelligible and low-key thinks he’s still out at Rita’s
Azriel dragging Cassian to bed while he’s wide awake and bouncing off the walls (bc we all know Cassian doesn’t drink, like, “manly” drinks, but the super sugary fruity ones with cherries and little umbrellas), knowing that the energy crash is coming and–whomp, there it is, Cassian’s collapsed in the hallway and Squad Dad Azriel has to drag the drunk, unconscious labrador up into his bed
Azriel helping Mor get out of her shoes and checking on her later, making sure she has water and fae aspirin and that the curtains are drawn so the morning sun doesn’t wake her up too harshly (but we know he full on takes the curtains off the windows in Rhys’ room, just for shits and gigs)
And somehow, every time, Amren is already in her room by the time he’s finished with the others? Like, he knocks and pokes his head in and asks if she needs anything, and ofc she’s not hammered so she lets him in and gossips about their whole night even though she saw his shadows lingering at Rita’s so she knows he saw some of it, but i just need more AzxAmren brotp in my life so let’s pretend that she did it to make sure he felt included until he was ready to join them okay
Just Squad Dad Azriel, my dudes. Squad Dad Azriel.
worst quality: emotionally damaged to the point where his hero-complex has more to do with distrust of other people’s willingness/ability to help him/others than a wish to set the world right on his own terms
You said before acowar that you didn't think elriel would be a thing and that you liked mor and azriel together. How do you feel now? Are you shipping elucien or elriel?
SWEET HIGH LORD HAVE MERCY ON MY SOUL I DO NOT WANT THE THREE ARCHERON SISTERS TO END UP WITH ONE OF THE THREE ILLYRIAN BROTHERS EACH. PLEASE NO.
But more coherently? At this point I ship neither. This fandom is so aggressive it just makes me run the other direction sometimes (does it seem like I need another Chaolena/Rowaelin-situation in my life? Because I don’t) and as long as I get Nessian I’m gooood.
But yes, I did want, and get, an Azriel/Elain brotp/friendship and it was beautiful *wipes tear*. Also, I think I want it to remain just that, a beautiful friendship.
general opinion: fall in a hole and die | don’t like them | eh | they’re fine I guess | like them! | love them | actual love of my life hotness level: get away from me | meh | neutral | theoretically hot but not my type | pretty hot | gorgeous! | 10/10 would bang hogwarts house: gryffindor | slytherin | ravenclaw | hufflepuff best quality: HE LOVES HIS SUBORDINATES AND WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF THEM??? AND MOTHERS THEM??? AND TAKES CARE OF THEM??? AND IS SO DORKY?? AND GOOD??? AND OIREWTIODFJKNSM,AFNGEBHJ worst quality: DUCKING STOP LISTENING TO DAZAI AND BEING LOYAL TO HIM ship them with: who do i not?????? brotp them with: who do i not???? needs to stay away from: dazai. like i said, no more banging in public. misc. thoughts: i have no words to describe my life of this man.
general opinion: fall in a hole and die | don’t like them | eh | they’re fine I guess | like them! | love them | actual love of my life hotness level: get away from me | meh | neutral | theoretically hot but not my type | pretty hot | gorgeous! | 10/10 would bang hogwarts house: gryffindor | slytherin | ravenclaw | hufflepuff best quality: His chess abilities worst quality: The fact that he kind of ate entire planar systems ship them with: kind of Merle brotp them with: Also kind of Merle needs to stay away from: The Starblaster misc. thoughts: He’s a super interesting character and I wish I had more positive things to say about him. He was ambitous and pessimistic to a fault but he had so much growth for the little time we knew him. I wish he got more screentime to develop him more but I see why he got how much time he did.
general opinion: fall in a hole and die | don’t like them | eh | they’re fine I guess | like them! | love them | actual love of my life hotness level: get away from me | meh | neutral | theoretically hot but not my type | pretty hot | gorgeous! | 10/10 would bang hogwarts house: gryffindor | slytherin | ravenclaw | hufflepuff best quality: kindness worst quality: nothing immediately comes to mind ship them with: Naruto (for the Uzumaki) , Sasuke, Karin (Sas and Kar for Hyuga) brotp them with: Everyone needs to stay away from: Toneri lol misc. thoughts: we need more of her