What we KNOW about the Agreste family
Apart from all the speculation, here’s what we know.
1. Mama Agreste “disappeared.” (webisode)
2. Mama Agreste has only been missing about a year. (Christmas Special).
3. Adrien has always been home-schooled and never able to make friends even though he’s had both parents until the past year. Although he had Chloe (a friend within walking distance) and Gabriel didn’t mind Nino until he started telling him what to do.
4. Adrien is kinda ridiculous because Chloe is the only girl he’s ever interacted with and he uses all the movies he’s watched as reference for social interaction. In other words, he’s been THAT out of touch for 13-15 years (Astruc commentary).
5. Adrien has never had a birthday party, which I guess makes sense because he’s only ever had one friend anyway. (Bubbler)
6. Gabriel “gave” Adrien the same pen for three years DESPITE his wife being around (Bubbler) Although he did demand Natalie get him a gift and wanted to know if Adrien liked it.
7. Adrien is used to Gabriel flaking out on him, even though he still tries to bond and even though it still hurts when it doesn’t work. He expects his presence to be replaced by “the best money can buy.” (Mime)
8. According to Gabriel, everything Adrien needs is in the house and where he can keep an eye on him. He “won’t have him outside in that dangerous world” (Stoneheart).
9. He actually does let him go outside in the dangerous world quite often for school, modeling, or random events like a mime show or supporting a friend on a game show. Most of the time he’s accompanied by his bodyguard but this isnt the case with school. However Gabriel INSISTED Adrien be driven to school despite it being well within walking distance.
10. Gabriel “hasn’t been the same” since the wife disappeared, so he’s been different somehow in the past year. (webisode are these canon?)
11. Gabriel has “ALWAYS been a stick in the mud,” according to Adrien. (Bubbler)
12. Adrien told Nino his father is “stubborn” and that it’s “best to stay out of his way” (Bubbler). Gabriel spent the entirety of Jackady insisting that no one controls him, that no one tells him what to do, and generally just not listening.
13. Gabriel is incredibly rude and Adrien’s pretty used to it. He told two randoms “your show is pathetic and so is your guest” then abruptly left. Adrien’s response was “That’s my dad alright” (Jackady).
14. According to Gabriel, his wife was “extremely sensitive.” He also implies she has a temper and called him out, which seems weirdly into (Jackady).
15. Adrien was actually surprised to get a hug from his father but seemed to crave it. It’s unexpected behavior (Jackady).
16. Gabriel, in all the times we’ve seen him, always shuts Adrien down when he tries to speak up.
17. When it comes to his father, Adrien is never sure of anything (Jackady).
18. Adrien started modeling to make his dad happy, and it’s his way of being there for him after the loss of Mama Agreste (webisode).
19. Gabriel keeps tons of Adrien’s modeling photos in his office and states he’s the “image of perfection.” However nothing about Adrien’s relationship, feelings, or interactions with Gabriel imply he’s actually shown Adrien a substantial amount of pride for him in awhile.
20. Gabriel has a secret safe with Tibet tickets, a book about miraculous, his wife’s picture, and the peacock miraculous. Because of reasons (Volpina).
21. Gabriel keeps a huge, beautiful painting of his wife in his office and a picture of her in his safe. He appears to be smiling in the family portrait. He has a MASSIVE painting of him and Adrien looking sad when his wife has been gone less than a year.
22. Adrien’s pictures with his mom are the warmest parental interaction we’ve seen.
23. Adrien doubts his father’s love for him, as shown when Ladybug said “parents love their kids” and his response was “most of them.” His mom has only been gone less than a year, so Gabriel has either always been stand-offish or some months of single-dad Gabriel have caused Adrien to think his father doesn’t love him.
24. He stared at Marinette’s family picture wondering “is that what a happy family looks like?” (Astruc commentary). Why would he have to wonder if it’s only been bad for months out of his 15 years?