idk how you can outright point out the sexual refs in Colors and seriously believe that you somehow turned the song platonic Theres nothing you can do to a line like "i only felt religion when i lied with you" to make it platonic. How can you turn a songs meaning around when the writer themselves has said its romantic anyways? I get interpretation, but when you use a clearly romantic song for a familial relationship... u can say it's platonic all u want but it doesnt change the songs meaning
lol omg ok so have you even seen the comic my guy
i didnt say i made the song platonic, the point i was trying to make was that even with those lyrics i managed to make the comic platonic. the song is what it is i cant change shit about it. the reason why i chose it in the first place was that there was still enough for me to work with that those lines weren’t an issue or distraction to the story i was telling with the comic. im not gonna choose some mushy kissykissy love song to draw to, im not stupid.
anyway, you asked how i could possibly change the meaning?? easy, use the picture. its a lyric comic, i cant tell my story with the words alone, the words by themselves tell their own story, thats what songs do. to tell my story i need to have my pictures morph the song to my liking. i’ll tell you what i did with those lines and my thinking behind them oh, curious little anon.
so! the first “issue” verse:
- You were a vision in the morning when the light came through– for this line i drew stan during his first tour, trying to show that by pretending to be ford/ the owner of the shack, stan finally found something he was good at, a “light”
- I know I’ve only felt religion when i’ve lied with you– the line you mentioned, congrats! i drew a background of the welcome signs to the shack. with the combination of the shack and the lyric i was trying to imply that stan only found happiness by lying to everyone. see? that wasnt so hard.
- You said you’ll never be forgiven till your boys are too– tried to show stans effort of trying to get ford back, drew a stack of books to imply his studying, there’s also his newspaper clipping of his “death” as well as a faded picture of the stans as kids (plus a stanbuck and mystery mug). i used this picture-lyric combo to imply stan being completely unable to forgive himself until he found a way to fix what he’d done i.e. get ford back
- And I’m still waking every morning but it’s not with you– hammer in stans effort, time skip to old stan passed out over the lab desk, implying the 30 years stans gone with no success. literally he wakes up every morning and its another day that ford isnt back.
and finally the second “issue” verse:
- You were red, and you liked me because I was blue– start of a flash back sequence, stan and ford as kids. they were complete opposites but thats what they liked about each other, two halves of the same whole.
- But you touched me, and suddenly I was a lilac sky– i drew the boat, the single most important object to their childhood that changed the course of their whole lives. it became stan and fords shared interest and dream throughout their childhood.
- Then you decided purple just wasn’t for you– drew a lone stan after being kicked out. ford wanted to go to school, stan still wanted to leave on the boat. at the end of it all stan still had that dream, fords dream had changed, and their now separate desires drove them away from each other.
and thats how you change the meanings.
some lines are easier than others, but just because these verses on their own tell a vastly different story that doesnt mean i cant use their words to help tell mine. thats how you draw a lyric comic. and thus, i made halseys romantic song tell my platonic story. ta da~
oh and heres the comic, since this ask clearly tells me you’ve yet to see it.
ignore the misuse of the word “seems” instead of “seams”, i fucked up and its too late