Sigyn’s newest random headcanon:
Edward Nygma says ‘you love me’ more often than he says ‘I love you’.
Doesn’t matter who you ship him with or which universe you’re drawing from, I reckon it’d be the same for most romantic relationships he could be in, and the logic is twofold so bare with me here.
First off, 'you love me’:
- There are a thousand different reasons he says this but most of the time it’s teasing, answering 'because you love me’ when his partner asks why they should bother doing something for him. Or sometimes it’s just a general 'haha you love me’ whenever there’s a little bit of frustration between them (which will either de-escalate the situation perfectly, or make it a LOT worse).
- Sometimes though, it’s insecurity, but of course he’ll never admit that. It’ll be a hidden question, checking for clarification that he is actually loved, just some form of proof that it is still there and he’s not just imagining it because it’s easy to get paranoid when you’ve known so little love in your life. It won’t be obvious, but his partner will know what he’s searching for and the moment he gets the evidence he needs, he’ll close that vulnerability back up again and probably try and laugh it off like it never happened.
Second part, 'I love you’:
- The main reason he doesn’t say this as often, is because Ed would always far rather SHOW his love than just state it. He will take any opportunity to perform some elaborate act to demonstrate his feelings, because for a performer like Ed, that three word sentence just isn’t enough to get the point across.
- As for the last little sliver of a reason, well, he also might try and claim it doesn’t really fit with his image. He’ll say it’s because The Riddler isn’t the sort of man to go around acting all gooey and sentimental. Truth is he’s just a little bit scared. In so many cases, love is a weakness, and one which can have horrible withdrawal symptoms (and in a lot of his universes he’s already experienced how devastating losing it can be). So denying he’s fallen prey to such a thing or at least not admitting it out loud too often offers him some imaginary protection against that.
- The only time you’ll hear him say it then, is in a very quiet, very subdued, very private situation, where those words declare strength instead of proclaiming weakness.
All in all, it means he says ‘you love me’ a little more than the average person, and ‘I love you’ a little less. Which is not important information for anyone really, I just like writing about Eddie so je ne regrette rien.