I once had a boyfriend who took me out on a date to the Galveston aquarium and he kept it a secret until we got there. I was super excited about it. It was the best date i have ever been on. We no longer talk but I often go back to that place reminiscing it all and it brings a smile to my face. How silly of us trying to fall in love with so many demons around us… I don’t know why he came up to mind today but I hope he’s doing well. I heard he moved to Florida chasing his dreams. 💝
Dolly wrote “I Will Always Love You” in 1973 and big old bad Elvis loved the song so much (duh) he wanted to record a version of it. BUT part of that agreement included Dolly having to sign over her publishing rights on the song which she refused to do, so he never recorded it and she was told by many this was a very poor business decision. Well the song went on the make millions for her over the decades through royalties and when Whitney Houston wanted to cover it for The Bodyguard, Dolly gladly gifted the song over to her, because she knew Whitney would do it justice. It’s the only song in country music that has hit #1 two times by the same artist (1974, 1982) and then covered by a pop singer to hit #1 again twenty years later.
I really think Dolly is exemplary in trusting her gut and creative senses, which is something all artists can admire and hope to be as steadfast in doing. She rose to the top of an industry that was not friendly towards women, and was unapologetically the best version of herself. The song, though billed as a romantic love song, is actually about her decision to leave her performing and business partner, Porter Wagoner and pursue her own career. So the greatest love song of all time is actually about a woman deciding to chase her own dreams. It’s a love song to herself. Okay thank you goodnight, long live the Queen of Country Music!
Etta James: At Last K-Ci & JoJo: All My Life Whitney Houston: I Will Always Love You John Legend: Stay With You Patti LaBelle: If Only You Knew SWV: You’re Always On My Mind The Isley Brothers: For the Love of You John Legend: You & I Beyonce: Halo Faith Evans: I Love You Four Tops/Whitney Houston: I Believe In You and Me Tammi Terrel & Marvin Gaye/Cheryl Lynn & Luther Vandross: If This World Were Mine Anita Baker: Sweet Love Percy Sledge: When a Man Loves a Woman New Edition: Can You Stand the Rain Rufus & Chaka Khan: Sweet Thing Jill Scott: He Loves Me Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole: Unforgettable Whitney Houston: You Give Good Love Jaheim: Anything Rose Royce: Wishing on A Star Ginuwine: Differences The O'Jays: Stairway to Heaven Mariah Carey: When I Saw You Aaliyah: At Your Best (You Are Love) Dru Hill: These Are the Times Babyface: Every Time I Close My Eye Brian McKnight: Back At One Minne Riperton: Loving You India Arie: Ready For Love Troop: All I Do Is Think of You Prince: Adore Kindred The Family: Where Would I be Chaka Khan: Through the Fire Jagged Edge: Promise Dondria: You’re the One Kevon Edmonds: 24/7 Kem: I Can’t Stop Loving You Stevie Wonder/Luther Vandross/Donell Jones: Knocks Me Off My Feet Tony! Toni! Tone!: Whatever You Want Musiq Soulchild: Dontchange Beyonce: Speechless Seal: Kiss From A Rose Case: Happily Ever After Kem: Share My Life Keyshia Cole: Love Gerald Levert: Made to Love You Musiq Soulchild: Love The Deele: Two Occasions Mawell: Fortunate Xscape: The Arms of the One Who Loves You India Arie: The Truth Tendy Pendergrass: Love T.K.O Kenny Lattimore: For You SWV: Weak Musiq Soulchild: sobeautiful Mariah Carey: Vision of Love Aretha Franklin: You’re All I Need Gladys Kinght & The Pimps: Best Thing That Happened to Me Beyonce: Rather Die Young Luther Vandross: Here and Now Pressure: Love And Affection Heatwave/Luther Vandross: Always & Forever Chaka Khan: Ain’t Nobody John Legend: All of Me Alicia Keys: If I Ain’t Got You Luther Vandross: All The Woman I Need Ruff Endz: Someone to Love You Stevie Wonder: You and I Beyonce: Dangerously In Love Avant & Keye Wyatt: You & I Shanice: I Love Your Smile Maria Carey: Open Arms Musiq Soulchild: Teachme Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway/Beyonce & Luther Vandross: The Closer I Get to You John Legend: P.D.A. (We Just Don’t Care) Stevie Wonder: Signed, Sealed Delivered (I’m Yours) Atlantic Starr: Always Luther Vandross & Mariah Care: Endless Love Blackstreet: Let’s Stay in Love John Legend: So High Lionel Richie & Diana Ross: Endless Love Whitney Houston: Greatest Love of All Mariah Carey: Underneath the Stars Jagged Edge: Good Luck Charm
They played The Bodyguard soundtrack! I repeat, they went ahead and played I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston from The Bodyguard soundtrack! If you didn’t die laughing at this point then what is your life even???
A playlist for young people coming of age, bewildered time travelers, benevolent aliens*, and other new arrivals to human civilization.
1. “Gosh,” by Jamie xx — The calm before the storm. The 2016 edition of human civilization is awe-inspiring in all the right and wrong ways.
2. “B.O.B.” by OutKast — *Here’s* the storm. The things that make the world beautiful and interesting are usually the same things that make it chaotic and terrifying. If you learn how to ride the lightning, though, even the apocalypse can be an excuse to party.
3. “Cold War,” by Janelle Monáe — The world is 95% horrible and does not have your best interests at heart. Be one of the good guys. Try to make it better.
4. “Common People,” by Pulp — To reiterate: there are people out there who aren’t exactly like you, and they deserve your respect. Don’t be an asshole.
5. “Temptation,” by New Order — Once you’ve got your feet back under you, you get another opportunity to marvel at just how intoxicating the world (and everything in it) really is.
6. “I Wanna Dance with Somebody,” by Whitney Houston — Now that you’re excited about everything, you want so badly to share it with somebody. Whitney Houston gets you.
7. “I Feel Love,” by Donna Summer — Hey! You get to dance with somebody!!!
8. “When Doves Cry,” by Prince — It turns out relationships can be complicated!!!! )-:
9. “Running Up That Hill,” by Kate Bush — You’re starting to learn that there are a lot of flipsides in life. For one, the infinite variety that makes people fascinating also makes it so that you’ll never totally understand anyone else, even someone you love. *Especially* someone you love. And no matter how much you want them to feel the way you do, no amount of hoping can guarantee that they will.
11. “Sloop John B,” by the Beach Boys — Sometimes you just want to go home. This is especially true after the world’s ripped your heart out and hired Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance, to riverdance on it.
12. “Everybody Plays the Fool,” by the Main Ingredient — You don’t completely understand other people, and they don’t completely understand you, but one thing everyone knows is how it feels to get your heart broken. Understanding that other people survived is your first step to getting up and over it.
13. “Untitled,” by R.E.M. — The next step? Looking out your window and realizing that the (beautiful, horrible) world didn’t end. And that maybe, just maybe, there are people out there who’ll love you and care about you no matter what.
14. “All My Friends,” by LCD Soundsystem — One of the things you’ll learn from your hard times is that you don’t have to go through them alone and never did. Good friends will save your life.
15. “Born to Run,” by Bruce Springsteen — Thanks to people who care about you, you’ll know by now that it’s risky to hope and riskier not to.
16. “Sally MacLennane,” by the Pogues — Being part of the world means you’re gonna lose a lot of people and things who are important to you along the way. Learn how to say goodbye.
17. “Favorite Thing,” by The Replacements — In a cruel world, love is an act of rebellion. Caring is cool. Being in love is cool.
18. “OK Pal,” by M83 — Being in love is really cool.
19. “You Send Me,” by Sam Cooke — It turns out relationships don’t have to be complicated!!!!
20. “Waterloo Sunset,” by the Kinks — Maybe for the first time, your sense of wonder extends to your everyday life. You’ll learn how to be kinder to other people, to appreciate the parts of them that are arbitrary and essential, and to be grateful for them.
21. “Once in a Lifetime,” by Talking Heads — The most important thing to remember is to stay awake. It could all end at any moment, and you don’t get any do-overs. Savor all of it. [Time travelers can disregard.]
22. “The Obvious Child,” by Paul Simon — You’ll grow up risking everything just by taking part in the world. You’ll win and you’ll lose, and as hard as growing older is, it’ll also give you the perspective you need to sift through the bullshit and the joy you need to heal. The world won’t be the same as it was when you first got here. It’ll be richer for everything you and your memories have added to it.
*The playlist for malevolent aliens is one song: “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue,” by Toby Keith
Some sweet, special songs to fall in love to. This playlist is entirely made of old tunes that WOC sing. Even if you’re gonna be solo that day, dream to this:
💖 Fantasy- Mariah Carey
💖 Be My Angel- Mazzy Star
💖 Then He Kissed Me- The Crystals
💖 I Put a Spell On You- Nina Simone
💖 One In a Million- Aaliyah
💖 I Feel Love- Donna Summer
💖 Be My Baby- The Ronettes
💖 C’est Si Bon- Eartha Kitt
💖 I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston
💖 Love To a Stranger- Joan Baez
💖 Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart- The Supremes
💖 Temptation- Destiny’s Child
💖 I Say a Little Prayer- Aretha Franklin
💖 Nasty Girl- Vanity 6
💖 This Girl’s In Love With You- Dionne Warwick
💖 Anytime, Any Place- Janet Jackson
💖 Smooth Operator- Sade
💖 Where Do I Begin? (Love Story)- Shirley Bassey
💖 Money Love- Neneh Cherry
💖 Say You’ll Be There- Spice Girls
💖 Baby Baby Baby- TLC
💖 I’ve Got To Keep My Love Warm- Billie Holiday
does it still bother you that people call taylor a snake? i get war flashbacks to summer 2016 and i think it's just made worse because i know it was started by kim k🙄 but overall if i stay away from stan twitters opinions of taylor i'm fine lol but it still gets me more upset than it should
It bothers me but as taylor says, every few years, something new sticks. To be totally frank, I’ll take snake over slut.