Questions to Ask When: Developing Character Appearance
Hey everyone, Abby here! Today I’m coming at you with something a little different from the usual “advice on a certain topic”; this is something that has a lot to do with development instead. So what I’m going to do is think of as many questions as I can about character appearances and list them all here; hopefully it helps!
- What color are their eyes?
- Do they have heterochromia or anything like it?
- How tall are they?
- How much do they weigh?
- Are the answers to the previous two questions about the same as the average where your character lives?
- What are your character’s three most prominent features?
- Which of their features are they the most proud of?
- Which of them are they most insecure about?
- What color is their hair?
- What is their favorite hairstyle? Do they wear it like this daily?
- How much do they actually care about their hair?
- Do they enjoy changing the style and color often, or will they wear it the same way their whole lives given the chance?
- What race (or races) is your character?
- Do they have any tattoos or scars?
- How easily do they emote?
- Do they have a generally emotional face?
- Which emotion do they most easily show?
- Do they enjoy wearing makeup? If yes, do they prefer a more subtle or bold look?
- Do they enjoy wearing jewelry? If yes, what sort do they prefer (necklace, bracelet, ring, etc.)?
- How often do they wear makeup or jewelry?
- Does you character ever wear merchandise for things they like?
- Are they more likely to be found in a long- or short-sleeved shirt?
- If your character had the opportunity, would they choose ripped or regular jeans?
- Do they wear hats often? If yes, which one do they wear the most?
- Take a look at their wardrobe. Which color is most prominently featured?
- Still looking at their wardrobe, how would you describe the color scheme: monochromatic, gray-ish, pastels, earth tones, bright colors, or all over the place?
- What is their favorite article of clothing to wear? Do they wear it more for look or for feel?
- When choosing their clothes, does your character base their decision on look, feel, or both?
- What constitutes as pajamas for them? Does it have to be strictly things meant to be pajamas or just anything comfortable enough to sleep in?
- Your character has nothing to do today; they’re staying at home and nobody super important is going to see them. How are they dressed?
So, I think this should be enough to help you get started on developing your character’s appearance; I hope this helped! If you or anyone else wants to see me cover another topic in my next post, please don’t hesitate to leave a message in my ask. Until next time, much love! <333