Sansa Stark and "Good Queen" Alysanne Targaryen parallels
Ok so I read this post the other day and was really intrigued by the theory. Obviously, as the big Jonsa trash I am, I decided to search for yet another set of parallels. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed.
The first and most obvious parallel is their names. Alysanne and Sansa/Alayne are very similar in terms of writing and pronunciation both (regardless of your accent, the syllables are alike all the same).
- Alayne + Sansa = Aly San Ne = Alysanne
Next come their physical appearance. Here is a passage describing Alysanne:
- Tall and straight, unbowed by time, she had high cheekbones, clear blue eyes. […] Alysanne was slim of waist and small of breast, with a long neck, a fair complexion, a high forehead. - So Spake Martin, June 2006
.And here are some describing Sansa:
- “And at Winterfell, Sansa was a little girl with auburn hair. My daughter is a maiden tall and fair, and her hair is chestnut. Men see what they expect to see, Alayne.“ - AFFC, Alayne I
- Sansa had gotten their mother's fine high cheekbones and the thick auburn hair of the Tullys. - AGOT, Arya I* “You have your mother’s eyes. Honest eyes, and innocent. Blue as a sunlit sea. When you are a little older, many a man will drown in those eyes.“ - AFFC, Sansa I
- Sansa Stark looked especially lovely this morning, though her face was as pale as milk. - ACOK, Tyrion VI
The similarities are not only physical though, for these women also share some personality traits.
- His queen, Alysanne, was also well loved throughout the realm, being both beautiful and high-spirited, as well as charming and keenly intelligent. - TWOIAF, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I
Alysanne was a good and well loved queen which is exactly the kind of monarch Sansa aspires to be.
- "The only way to keep your people loyal is to make certain they fear you more than they do the enemy.” “I will remember, Your Grace,” said Sansa, though she had always heard that love was a surer route to the people’s loyalty than fear. If I am ever a queen, I’ll make them love me. - ACOK, Sansa VI
She is charming and excell at courtesies, which help her win the respect and sympathy of the people around her despite them, for the most part, being her and her family’s ennemies.
- Tyrion led Sansa around the yard, to perform the necessary courtesies. She is good at this, he thought, as he watched her tell Lord Gyles that his cough was sounding better, compliment Elinor Tyrell on her gown, and question Jalabhar Xho about wedding customs in the Summer Isles. His cousin Ser Lancel had been brought down by Ser Kevan, the first time he’d left his sickbed since the battle. He looks ghastly. Lancel’s hair had turned white and brittle, and he was thin as a stick. Without his father beside him holding him up, he would surely have collapsed. Yet when Sansa praised his valor and said how good it was to see him getting strong again, both Lancel and Ser Kevan beamed. She would have made Joffrey a good queen and a better wife if he’d had the sense to love her. - ASOS, Tyrion VIII
- “At the Hand’s tourney, don’t you remember? You rode a white courser, and your armor was a hundred different kinds of flowers. You gave me a rose. A red rose. You threw white roses to the other girls that day.” It made her flush to speak of it. “You said no victory was half as beautiful as me." Ser Loras gave her a modest smile. ”I spoke only a simple truth, that any man with eyes could see.“ - ASOS, Sansa I
well-educated (the most expected trait in a queen)
- The queen took Sansa’s hand in both of hers. "Child, do you know your letters?” Sansa nodded nervously. She could read and write better than any of her brothers, although she was hopeless at sums. - AGOT, Sansa IV
- Sansa could sew and dance and sing. She wrote poetry. She knew how to dress. She played the high harp and the bells. - AGOT, Arya I
- Sansa hesitated a moment. “You gave Lord Nestor the Gates of the Moon to be certain of his support." "I did,” Petyr admitted, “but our rock is a Royce, which is to say he is overproud and prickly. […] She nodded. "The signature … you might have had Lord Robert put his hand and seal to it, but instead …” “… I signed myself, as Lord Protector. Why?” “So … if you are removed, or … or killed …" ”… Lord Nestor’s claim to the Gates will suddenly be called into question. I promise you, that is not lost on him. It was clever of you to see it. Though no more than I’d expect of mine own daughter.“ - AFFC, Sansa I
Both started to occupy an important political seat at a young age, Alysanne as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms at 14 and Sansa/Alayne as the de facto Lady of the Eyrie at 13 (/Lady of Winterfell in s6 at 18) and held/holds some influence over their male counterparts (Jaehaerys/Littlefinger and Sweetrobin(/Jon in s6)).
- Some said that she ruled the realm as much as the king did, and there was some truth to that. It was at her behest that King Jaehaerys at last forbade the right of the First Night, despite the many lords who jealously guarded it. - TWOIAF, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I
- It was clever. The tourney, the prizes, the winged knights, it had all been her own notion. […] And no sooner did she tell Petyr her idea than he went out and made it happen. - TWOW, Alayne I* “Any child of ours would be baseborn. Only a trueborn child of House Arryn can displace Ser Harrold as your heir. My father will find a proper wife for you, some highborn girl much prettier than me. You’ll hunt and hawk together, and she’ll give you her favor to wear in tournaments. Before long, you will have forgotten me entirely.” “I won’t!” “You will.** You must.” Her voice was firm, but gentle. “The Lord of the Eyrie can do as he likes. Can’t I still love you, even if I have to marry her?** Ser Harrold has a common woman. Benjicot says she’s carrying his bastard.”_ - TWOW, Alayne I _
You think it’s a lot already? Wait to read the last two parallels.
Alysanne had five siblings (Rhaena, Aegon, Viserys, Jaehaerys and Vaella) and so does Sansa (Robb, Jon, Arya, Bran and Rickon).
Alysanne married her eldest surviving brother, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen. Jon Snow is Sansa's eldest surviving "brother”, the King in the North as well as a Targaryen whose birth name might be Jaehaerys (the Ashford Tourney Theory goes hand-in-hand with this one).
tl:dr: Alysanne Targaryen and Sansa Stark:
- Have names who sound alike (Alayne + Sansa = Alysanne).* Have high cheekbones, blue eyes and a fair complexion.
- Are tall.
- Are beautiful.
- Are charming and intelligent.
- Inspire love rather than fear.
- Are influencial rulers/advisors.
- Have strong ties to the Night’s Watch (s6 only for Sansa).
- Have five siblings.
- Married/might marry their eldest surviving brother, a Targaryen (as per the Ashford Tourney Theory).