unpopular opinion maybe but…it makes me kind of sad that just because laurent is guarded and emotionally reserved people think damen is always the one to make romantic or intimate or loving overtures. i can see why people think that since we get to see inside damen’s mind for the whole three books, plus the short story, but if you look at the examples from the books laurent isn’t just sitting idly by as him and damen grow closer.
- he asks for damen’s help with tactical maneuvers. damen’s his only confidant.
- he makes damen his captain (‘it should have been you from the start’).
- he sits in damen’s lap at the inn. and laughs against his chest on the balcony.
- he goes to damen when he’s upset/stressed/sad.
- he allows damen to calm him, level him out, and help him when he’s losing it, when he would normally shut down and throw everyone out.
- he initiates their lovemaking all three times. in PG and in KR.
- he gets damen a towel and water after they have sex.
- he attends him so sweetly and tenderly in the baths in The Summer Palace.
- HE PUTS A MOTHERFUCKING FLOWER IN DAMEN’S HAIR.
- he brings damen sweetmeats in The Adventures of Charls the Veretian Cloth Merchant.
- he goes to damen to comfort him after jokaste shows up.
- he tells jokaste unprompted about him and damen because he’s jealous.
- he let’s pallas see them together because he’s jealous. he tells halvik that damen is his basically because he’s jealous.
- he gets on his knees for damen!
- he sacrifices his life for damen!!!
- he fights to the death for damen!!!!!
- he talks to a statue of damen’s mother and tells it how much damen means to him and how he’s going to take care of him forever!!!!!!!!!!
in conclusion laurent is less about words and more about showing his feelings and love through action. but just because he’s not as vocal about how he feels for damen doesn’t mean those feelings aren’t strong and pure and true.