have other queer fans noticed this trend in fandom (like, literally any fandom) that heavily echos canonical queerbaiting? to a really uncomfortable and probably harmful extent?
i’m specifically referring to the godawful trend of straight people posting a gifset of two canonically straight (usually white) characters glancing at each other, and label it “boyfriends” or “girlfriends.”
important context: a) i’m a queer/wlw b) none of this is aimed at queer fans c) of course i want more representation, but queerbaiting is not!!! representation!!!
1. i love seeing people celebrate canonical queer characters
2. i don’t love people taking characters who aren’t queer, and who, unfortunately, will never be queer, and pretending that they are. especially when, based on the showrunner’s history, there’s no real hope that those characters are ever going to be together on screen (i’m looking at you, destiel and johnlock and hannigram, although other shows and fans do this too.)
3. i know that race plays a huge part in this too (see: current shipping trends in the sw fandom) and while i’m not going to dig into that atm, there are a ton of posts out there on it (literally just search fandom racism and it’s all right there.)
4. point 3 may have answered my question, actually
5. i’m just really, really tired of the term “boyfriends” being thrown around every time two dudes look at each other on screen, especially when it’s being used to bait queer fans into spending their time and emotional investment on the show, just to realize that they were being used all along. (also, refer back to point 3.)
6. this post was specifically inspired by the shadowhunters fandom, bc i keep seeing posts about clary and izzy, and while i 10000000% would LOVE to see them together on screen, and i think they have amazing chemistry a) we literally have a 7 book series that tells us they’re not going to be together, unfortunately b) stop getting my goddamn hopes up. every straight person who mislabels straight characters as queer now owes me $10 for getting my hopes up.
i mean, there’s a huge difference between, “these two would be so great together!” and “girlfriends.”
please please please just boost queer characters instead (or hey! write fan works about your favs being queer!!! because creating your own content about them, where they’re actually queer, is great too!!)
tl;dr boosting queer characters is awesome!! making fan work about characters being queer is awesome!! (i would kill for izzy/clary art and fic.)
posting gifs of Straight™ characters from a show, with no added edits, commentary, or meta, and just the comment, “boyfriends,” or “girlfriends” makes me super sad. please stop queerbaiting my sad little gay heart it’s just not nice.