you're the first person to talk about how disgusting deenerys is to the slaves and freedmen. can you make like a comprehensive post about it, please? i'm rereading the books and so i don't remember well.
I don’t at all remember exactly all I have ever said on this site, but I don’t remember ever using the work ‘disgusting’, if I did, I want to take it back right now. Slavers and slavery is disgusting. The way Daenerys tried to liberate slaves wasn’t disgusting, it was just stupid and wrong with disastrous consequences… And delusional, ignorant and hypocritical.
Trust me though, I am by far not the only one, and most certainly not the first to declare Dany’s Mereen campaign all I said above and more. Loads and loads of people have criticized it and named it for what it is.
I’m not gonna make a comprehensive post aka meta, because I literally do not even have the time to update the last two chapters of my fic (sorry bout that). I’m crazy busy and I lack both the time and energy necessary to look up book quotes and everything.
I’ll give you a from the top of my head list, though, which is gonna me crazy long and detailed still. Hope that’s sufficient to give you an idea:
- It’s lovely that she wanted to free slaves, but the reasoning sucks. She is perfectly fine with Drogo collecting them to afford the ships she needs, nor does she actually ever liberate Mirri Maz Duur and the other women, she merely stops the raping. In the first two books she not once mentioned because disgusted by slavery. When she goes to Yunkai, planning on buying the Unsullied, there’s not a vessel of her brain that protests against this plan because she’s so anti slavery. The truth is that Daenerys ‘liberates’ the Unsullied because she can’t afford them. She was planning on buying them. The Human Rights Declaration 1948 part of my brain knows this makes her guilty of slavery. Her anti-slavery campaign starts cause she’s broke, which is the worst of reasonings… despite all the claps she receives for being so kind-hearted.
- The way she liberates them is stupid. She makes very different kind of mistakes in Yunkai, Mereen and Astapor, which is kinda amazing in a way, because all three cities are completely in ruins after she interfered, one more so than the other, but still. We can conclude she learns nothing as she goes, cause she keeps screwing up. Astapor may or may not be her greatest monstrosity of all. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Yunkai turning her back on her and becoming her 1# enemy was as predictable as anything (really, Dany? leaving the government and military fully intact? So odd, that they eventually rebel) and Mereen was, if anything, the prove we didn’t need to know Daenerys is a shit ruler. Dany and her anti-slavery campaigns indirectly killed many many people and brought prosperous cities to total ruin.
- Just adding this: from a superficial moral pov liberating slaves is a really really good thing, but you can’t just say ‘and now you are all free’. Very little has changed in the actual lives of these people Dany ‘freed’, which only shows how little Dany-I-know-what-it-is-like-to-be-bought-and-sold-Targaryen understands of slavery. She delcares them free and believes the issues are gone, but that’s of course not at all how it works. Being a slave doesn’t just mean you’re the property of someone else. You can’t take slavery out of society by just banning it. Slavery is part of Essosi culture, it goes very very deep. She underestimates that, because, despite her own believes, she knows nothing of what it’s like to be bought and sold. She was Drogo’s exotic trophy wife, she became his queen for crying out loud, gained power, independence and was freed of Viserys. She compares that to being the absolute scum of society? Nah. Not impressed.
- Let’s be real, Dany’s real, main and true goal is the Iron Throne. She’s not planning on staying, she’s in no way planning on dedicating her life to it. Odd right? To think freeing a society is something that doesn’t have to be someone’s life’s work. Liberating slaves, their freedom, is a stop along the way to her. She takes it so seriously that she didn’t even come up with a long term plan. She’s using this as a way to ‘learn’ how to rule. Think of that… liberating thousands and thousands of people is not something she sees as her life’s goal, it’s just a learning process to Daenerys before she goes for the real price.
- Daenerys doesn’t pay the unsullied. Where were they supposed to go after she ‘liberated’ them? They were eunuchs who killed infants babies as part of their training, an inhumane training, with no family, no loved ones, no nothing. They had nowhere else to go but to follow their blonde princess. It looks like they choose her because she’s their mother Theresa, but honestly, it was the only option for them… And she doesn’t pay them. They’re slaves who’re ‘allowed’ to leave whenever they want. Ha. What exactly has changed for them, I ask?
- Daenerys uses unpaid labor for public work projects in Mereen, something with beans it was, I think. *cough* slavery *cough*.
- Daenerys allows freed slaves to sell themselves back into slavery because the ‘freedom’ she offered them is worse. She also keeps part of the bargain. Ha.
- She crucifies over a hundred people who may or may not be guilty of any crime, doesn’t care to check their guilt. It disgusts me how people shrug this off with ‘they were slavers’. I personally don’y believe in fighting cruelty with cruelty, especially not when that cruelty comes from anger about a certain thing that the executed may or may not have been guilty off. And she allows them to choose themselves who among them gets killed. That’s one way not to get the guilty ones punished.
- I can come up with a million things of what she does wrong in Mereen, really. She’s too cruel when she needs to be soft, and too naive when she should be wary. One example that I’ve always ‘loved’ because it’s so ironic, is when a rich woman comes to her, asking for help. The woman has lost her son and husband during the sack and fled her house to hide with family. When the woman returned to her house, she found it taken over by prostitutes, who were all wearing her jewelry and dresses. The woman pleads for Daenerys to help her get her home back. Dany’s judgement? The woman gave up her rights to her home the moment she fled… can you feel it? Remember who else fled her home and now wants it back? Exactly. Oh George.. the irony.
- Daenerys uses torture. People always use that example of the minors, and of course this was especially horrifying, but no one can deny she’s guilty of systemic torture
- Daenerys believes her way of living is better than that of the Mereneese. She’s right kind of, about slavery and all, but not everything about the Mereneese culture is curel and savage. She complains about the fighting pits, she complains about people eating dogs, she complains about the way people dress… oh right, she actually has teenage boys murdered solely because of their choice of dress.
- While Mereen starves and bleeds and suffers and nothing of Astapor remains except ‘Hell on earth’- Quintyn Martell, she sits in the tip of her fancy Pyramid, eating sweet fruit and drinking wine, looking down on her ‘free’ subjects, complaining about her many burdens as self-declared queen, dreaming about when to find a moment alone with her dear dear handsome Daario- who’s, obviously to everyone but Daenerys, using her. I can’t.
- Have I mentioned she doesn’t care about Mereneese culture? She doesn’t put much time into learning about it, and all that she learns she waves away and deems inferior to her own.
Oh RIGHT! She’s just a girls… she’s just learning! She’s trying! She wants to be good, she wants to do the right thing, she… means well.
Do thousands of people have to die cause she means well? Me don’t think so. Kinda odd, isn’t it, that sacrifices like that must be made to make someone suitable to rule, when about every character in ASOIAF is more suitable to rule. Why does Daenerys gets to make these sacrifices? Cause she’s her mad daddy’s daughter? She’s not even the actual rightful ruler. In the books there’s Aegon, who’s going to turn Daenerys in a real usurper (the one she learned to hate all her life) and in the show there’s Jon. She’s not even the rightful ruler. She’s just a girl with too much power.
That said, after all the experience she’s had and all the learning moments that have come her way, she’s learned fairly little. She continues to be delusional and ignorant and constantly makes mistakes she’s made before.
To quote my favorite quoran: Dany ostensibly means well, yet destroys about everything she touches, cities, people and complete societies… yet people want her to be queen of Westeros? I think they have suffered enough.
That’s all I can come up with without picking up the books. Hope you kinda understand my pov better now. If you don’t, that’s fine. Most Daenerys stans can’t be turned away from the dark side anymore, not after all that.
What I mean is… if you can still support Daenerys and believe she should rule the world after all the crap she’s done… well, there’s nothing she can do to change your mind.