Underrated lines/details from Beauty and the Beast 2017 (spoilers obviously)
A few (okay maybe more than a few) moments, lines, and little details I adore and feel deserve more recognition… (I’ve seen the movie three times thus far but it has has been a few days since the last viewing so I apologize if the quotes are not exact)
- Dan Stevens’ mannerisms in the opening dance as he flits from one partner to another looking like a rococo Jareth
- Just how cramped the village feels bringing a visual contrast to Belle’s “I want adventure in the great wide somewhere”
- the fact that the village “library” was in the church
- the way Gaston is able to still appear to be strutting his way into town while on horseback
- LeFou’s “It’s never gonna happen, ladies"
- Maurice "It’s a small village. Small minded…"
- the body language* when Gaston is talking to Belle
*how he traipses over her garden(I physically winced every time at the veggies being trampled), how pointedly she locks the gate and he reaches around to unlock it, the little gesture to his hips as he talks about her having children, how he grabs her skirt as she is clearly trying to get away, the way she holds to door closed until she is sure he is gone. All of it!
- the way Belle frustratedly throws the chicken feed on the ground with that "URGH!"
- "Do you know where we are Phillipe? Because I don’t…” seriously Maurice was just wonderful
- how Maurice paused a moment at the castle to look at the helping hand lanterns because those were an homage to Jean Cocteau’s 1946 Beauty and the Beast
- Lumière and Cogsworth “A man of taste!” “He was talking about me!"
- How worried Cogsworth seemed when Belle picked up Lumière and carried him off but couldn’t do anything about it
- "Do you want to be a man or a mantle clock?”
- “Oh master! You’ve returned!” Cogsworth’s panic and Lumiére’s laugh
- Lumière’s movements in general. Especially the way his coat moved.
- Mrs. Potts “you can’t judge a person by who their father is now can you?” and the look Beast/Adam gives her. Really Mrs. P? Not fair.
- his forced cheery “will you join me for dinner?” And his confused look back at everyone to see how he did
- Lumière singing louder as Cogsworth tries to shush him during Be Our Guest
- Cogsworth later belting out “COURSE BY COURSE!” in Be Our Guest. Ian McKellen did not get to sing nearly enough.
- the moment Lumière is dancing in a bit of fabric as he sings “life is so unnerving for a servant who’s not serving” feels like it is meant as an homage to the dance “Lamentation” which is a nice touch
- the fact that they never told Belle that learning to love/earning someone’s love would break the curse so that she didn’t unconsciously develop feelings out of any attempts to free the castle. Her feelings were genuine.
- Belle’s reversible bodice on the blue dress! (All of her costumes really. All of the costumes in this whole movie!)
- Days in the Sun melts my heart. Audra McDonald’s voice gives me chills! She is so wonderful
- “Your village sounds terrible!” And “What do you say we run away?” The look on Beast/Adam’s face is just so hopeful and sweet
- The look on his face when Belle says “let’s go home"
- How LeFou kept paying people to go along with participating during Gaston. He pays the band to play and later it looks like he pays someone to let them dance on the table.
- I know everyone is talking about Evermore but seriously Dan Stevens is amazing. *side note I think I read somewhere that his wife helped him prep for singing Evermore since she herself is a singer and a vocal teacher and if that isn’t just the sweetest thing I don’t know what is*
- Maurice’s little sound effects as he tries to remember how the tree fell as they look for the castle.
- Maurice being an A+ dad and shutting down any notion Gaston had that he would help Gaston marry Belle
- Just how much of a guilt-ridden cinnamon roll LeFou was over leaving Maurice in the woods. "This is a pretty nasty storm. At least we’re not tied to a tree out in the woods…” And the relief in his voice when he sees Maurice in the tavern
- Agathe’s expression as Gaston says “no offense” after completely writing her off as a credible source.
- Père Robert “He needs a hospital not an asylum!"
- Maurice calmly handing the picked lock to Monsieur D'arque as Bell rides off, her ballgown fluttering to the ground so she can more easily ride
"She’s always been strong willed. Do you have children?” There goes my daughter riding away half dressed to save her cursed boyfriend. Lol, kids right?
- Cadenza’s little “ouch” when Gaston abandoned LeFou during the battle for the castle
- the fact that the staff still had smudged makeup from the beginning of the movie because they’ve been objects and couldn’t change outfits or wash their faces like Adam could while cursed
- The costumes at the end during the celebration dance! Where can I purchase a knock off of that rose dress because it is so beautiful!
This turned out to be much longer than expected. I probably still left things out. Thanks for baring with me!