1. Equate your own skin to silk and believe it is just as
priceless to match. Your body is a temple you’ve never been
very good at praying toward; it’s time to finally appraise
the stardust inside of you.
2. You will command your hands to push paint to a canvas
and a pen to paper. You will create, create, create until you
feel as full of color as your artwork.
3. ‘Tomorrow’ will not be a terrifying word anymore.
You will train myself to take time by its clock hands like
a horse, rein in positivity and the courage to say that you
will not be a victim of your disorders.
(This war was never theirs to win in the first place.
Their blades hold no advantage over your bite.)
4. I will only give advice when asked for it. I will only
take peoples’ hearts in mine if I know what is within
them. I will not let myself breathe in their blood like
air, like I need it to survive. I will learn that I only
need myself. Always.
5. Your bedroom is not a tomb. Your house is not a
home, but it’s not a prison either. Make the best out
of bad situations from now on. Self-pity isn’t pretty.
6. Quit drinking rum while you’re sad. Actually, quit
drinking while you’re sad in general. The higher your
blood/alcohol content does not equal how high your
spirits lift. Leave the bottle alone and write.
7. You do not need to evaluate every sentence someone
mutters in your direction. You are not the center of
everything. You are not the sun, but when you are at peace
with yourself the light you give off could burn a hole
through every tear you’ve ever cried. Remember that.
8. Be okay without him.
9. Be okay without him.
10. Be okay without him.
— resolutions for my future self in 2016 (a letter) // Haley Hendrick