five times jon reminded aemon of aegon and the one time aemon thought he was
All of these take place in A Game of Thrones.
1. It’s a peaceful day at Castle Black, a sadly rare occurrence. There is snow falling lightly onto the ground, the gentle flakes blowing to and fro in the soft wind. Aemon closed his eyes and enjoyed the silence.
There were many times when he was unsure about his decision to join the Watch, but it’s times like these when he’s glad he did, or at least in part.
You could only experience a moment like this in the North.
He is not truly paying attention when he first hears the boy. He distantly hears him in the background and he connects it with Jon Snow, the bastard nephew of Benjen Stark.
He does not truly know this boy, but he hears him fighting in the yard. What is he doing? He is-
He is fighting for some boy. He is saying there is no honor in fighting in a beaten foe. He is standing between a man and a boy, and trying his best to held him.
Aemon can’t help but smile.
It’s something Egg would have done.
2. The next time is when Jon is talking with Sam in the dining hall. They are arguing about something, what Aemon cannot really tell. He finds himself getting closer to the two boys. He likes them. Jon is a caring soul and Sam is a brave one and it’s a pity that they do not yet realize it.
He moves close enough to make out the words and he cannot resist the smile on his face when he hears that Jon is explaining parts of Daeron’s campaign into Dorne. He is excited by what he is saying, he finally sounds his age.
Aemon shakes his head. He remembers Egg giving him a similar speech. Aemon acted much like Sam, not truly getting it, but enjoying the joy from the boy in front of them.
3. It’s small, the third time, but it makes him miss Egg more than he has in years.
Jon Snow is softly singing as he does chores, obviously doing his best to keep himself awake. He has a nice voice, though untrained. It sounds a lot like his brother, and in fact, Egg use to try to keep himself awake using that very same method.
Aemon leaves the area, knowing that Jon did not even realize he had been there. It did not matter, Aemon knew that Jon would never quite understand.
4. His brother had been a good leader, though unpolished in his youth, the same as Jon. It’s clear that Jon needs to learn much more about ruling, but it’s just as clear that he already knows much. The boys in the Night Watch already look at him as their leader, clearly giving him the lead, though it annoys most of them.
Still, there is no denying that Jon Snow is a good leader, and will become a better one. It was just like Egg.
It was the reason Aemon had joined the Night’s Watch, and as he listens to Jon explain things to the boys who don’t yet know them, he thinks that Egg would have liked him.
5. It’s the smallest thing. Aemon is doing nothing, but listening to the birds, finding their chatter soothing in a way he only can because of the time he spent with them. Jon Snow is with him, quiet as he reads, and his mind flashes back to Egg.
They had spent many times enjoying silence together in their youth, study their maester’s assignments. Aegon closes his eyes.
He had never thought he could find that specific peace again.
1. He hears laughter. He hears Egg’s laughter. Aemon wonders the halls, wondering where his brother, wondering if this is his ghost. Aemon feels his throat tighten up, and blinks away tears.
Why has Egg only know just come for him?
He turns the corner to where the laughter, wondering what it is he will find.
The voice surrounding the laughter brings him back to reality. It’s Jon Snow. It’s only him.
His brother is not back.
His family is not back.
He has none except his black brothers.
Still, Aemon stays. It may not be his family, but for a moment in Jon Snow’s laughter, he might just find them again.