A concept: Kevin Day and Aaron Minyard talking mad shit about Andrew and Neil. Kevin talking about how he's sick of Andrew "pretending" he doesn't care about Exy and then Aaron replying, "I'd take that over Neil eye fucking the court every day"
i….love this….so much oh my god ok
- so andrew and neil are on one of theyre “this is nothing but we go on weekend trips together to makeout” things
- so kevin needs to practice bc he’s Extra™ and…he’s still having a little trouble relaxing without andrew around all the time
- andrew gave aaron a look before he left that aaron knows means to watch out for kevin
- aaron’s complete disinterest manages to deter kevin from practice for two full days
- never underestimate aaron’s ability to be stubborn to spite someone else ok
- but finally FINALLy it’s not kevin’s incessant bitching that gets aaron to go to the court with him
- it’s aaron getting back from classes and not getting immediately bombarded with requests to go to the court
- it’s coming home to a silent kevin staring out the window, rubbing his scars
- aaron sighs deep to hide the fact that he’s concerned and changes into light workout clothes and grabs kevin
- he also ignores how much kevin lights up when they turn onto the street of the foxhole court
- this is an example of aaron “im not allowed to feel anything at all ever” minyard
- also an example of aaron “knows where matt keeps a spare key to his truck” minyard
- at first aaron refuses to practice with kevin
- but he “gets bored” or whatever he likes to tell himself
- see, aaron actually likes exy. he likes the way he can channel all his frustrations into it. he spends so much time studying and trying to figure out his brother and trying to figure out what the hell he wants from his life so sometimes he just needs to run around and knock people on their asses, ok?
- its also pretty much the only times he can remember connecting with andrew
- kevin is, like always, completely immersed, and barely notices aaron getting on the court until he walks by him to block his way to the goal
- kevin’s on the courts because he can breathe there. he’s on the court because its where is mother put him. its the only place he mattered after she died, where he felt like a living thing rather than an asset.
- he’s there because even though he’s happy for andrew and neil, he really is, he’s still figuring out how to stand on his own. the court’s been the only place he really felt he could do that.
- now aaron may be on the court
- he may have come to
be there for kevinshut kevin up
- but you best believe he’s gonna bitch about it
- “fine, i’ll go, but i’m gonna complain the whole time” yea that’s aaron
- after like one snide comment though Bitchy Kevin comes out to fuckin play and it goes a little something like:
- kevin: andrew knows he’s good but does he try? of course not. see, that’d be fucking easy. that’d be simple. nothing is simple with him. *cue kevin taking an unnecessarily forceful shot on goal*
- aaron: and don’t even get me started on neil just asking him for things. are you kidding. andrew doesn’t do anything ever at all and neil just??? asks him??? and he does it???
- kevin: I KNOW. AS IF I HAVEN’T BEEN MAKING SIMPLE REQUESTS FOREVER.
- (both of them are secretly wondering why they don’t bitch to each other more often)
- the best part though, is when aaron is at the height of his rant and says, “You know, i don’t even want to do extra practice, but I’d take this over Neil eye fucking the court every goddamn day”
- kevin just fucking breaks like he drops his racquet and everything
- aaron hasn’t ever seen kevin laugh???? its kind of
- kevin gets a hold of himself and wow
- he doesn’t think he’s ever seen aaron smile
he’s surprised how much he likes it
- after that kevin’s feeling better
- they head back to the dorms and play video games for a while, order food. just kinda hang out
- nothings really changed, per se, but….things are definitely different.
- more often than not now kevin will just go to the library to watch his taped games with headphones on while aaron studies, occasionally getting kicked in the shin when he gets too excited
- when neither of them want to sleep because they know its one of those days they’ll have nightmares they go to the library’s 24 hr lounge and eat shitty microwave ramen (aaron is sworn to secrecy…no one can know kevin loves creamy chicken ramen) and try to teach each other bio or history
- aaron only had a mother who hurt him growing up, and kevin only had the memory of his mother and people who hurt him growing up . without saying anything, they just understand.
- in conclusion because aaron is accidentally really funny, kevin and him get a lot closer, which is good, cause they both kinda needed it
- they wouldnt say they were friends, or are friends, but…maybe its a little “nothing” of their own