Can you list the Ron moments that the movie missed our changed?... or maybe give a link to a post which already has the list.
Okay, this is going to be done from memory so bear with me.
- Ron offering to share his food with Harry from the moment they meet.
- Ron teaching Harry how to play wizard’s chess (this is kind of in the film but not explicitly so I thought I’d include it.)
- Staying over Christmas with Harry and trying to cheer him up after the mirror incidents (I think they did film a part of this but it was a deleted scene for some reason ??? why ???)
- RON BEING THE CALM ONE DURING THE DEVIL’S SNARE SCENE NOT HERMIONE (’But there’s no wood!’ ‘Are you a witch or not?’)
Chamber of Secrets
- Constantly defending Harry from Draco
- The scene where Draco calls Hermione a mudblood and it was actually Ron who new what the term meant and explained it, not Hermione
- Visiting Hermione in the hospital wing after she turns herself into a cat and bringing her all her homework that she missed
- Ron going into a freaking forest full of spiders and tackling his biggest fear. Even though he was shaking the entire time and is so terrified he can’t even speak by the end of it and actually /throws up/ afterwards, he still went and did it because it needed to be done and he wasn’t about to let Harry go alone. (Okay so this was in the films but I really don’t think they actually captured the gravity of it, instead choosing to turn Ron into comic relief… Again.)
- Being the one to go to the hospital wing so that Hermione will have someone with her so she’s not alone and to explain what happened when she wakes up
Prisoner of Azkaban
- Actually being really concerned about Scabbers’ health and buying the rat tonic for him
- Actual background to the Crooksanks v Scabbers business instead of just villainising Ron for the sake of making Hermione seem better
- When he was literally woken up by Sirius holding a knife over his bed, who, as far as anyone knew then, was a mass murderer??? Why isn’t this talked about more ??
- ‘YOU ASKED A QUESTION AND SHE KNOWS THE ANSWER, WHY ASK IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE TOLD?’
- Noticing Hermione’s weird af schedule and being the only one to aCTUALLY CARE about where she was going and what she was doing
- Literally fucking pushing Harry out of the way when they see Sirius in dog form (who they think is The Grim) and consequently getting a broken leg + dragged by his arm into the Whomping Willow
- Awkwardly patting Hermione on the head after she apologises, instead of that weird hug thing they share in the films
- Taking on Buckbeak’s appeal and dedicating so much time and effort into his case. Call this boy lazy or apathetic again I dare you.
- Standing up on a BROKEN LEG to tell Sirius, who, again, was thought to be a MASS MURDERER, that ‘If you want to kill Harry you’ll have to kill us too!’ whilst Hermione stood frozen in the corner
- Making peace with Crookshanks at the end of the book by holding Pigwidgeon up for him to check that he isn’t evil (I love Ron so much)
Goblet of Fire
- ‘We’ll pick you up on Sunday if you can come, and we’ll still pick you up on Sunday if you can’t’ (or something like that) when talking about the quidditch world cup
- The background and reasoning behind the big fight with Harry (+the later argument they had where Harry threw the badge @ his head.)
- The actual insecurity Ron suffered because of the dress robes, not just the comic relief side of it.
- Helping Harry practice for the second and third tasks practically 24/7 (including letting Harry practice stunning on him!!! #dedication)
- Getting Krum to sign his autograph + basically all of hIS HUGE CRUSH ON KRUM JFC
- Just generally being there for Harry after Cedric even when Harry pushes him away
Order of the Phoenix
- Again, just generally being there for Harry even when Harry is being an ass to him (+ the part where Ron desperately wants to tell him what’s going on but Hermione + all the adults insists that they can’t)
- RON WEASLEY BECOMING A MOTHERFUCKING PREFECT
- The year of quidditch which, although being an essential part of the book with the whole Umbridge arc, is not even MENTIONED in the film. Literally, it’s one of the only films that doesn’t feature quidditch yet it’s the book where I’d consider quidditch to be the most important.
- Anyway, yes, quidditch. Ron getting a new broom and sneaking out to practice so he can try out for the team
- HERMIONE KISSING HIM ON THE CHEEK FOR LUCK. I SCREAM.
- Ron making it on the team and having very very very little confidence so he’s… quite terrible the first few matches.
- The awful ‘Weasley is Our King’ song that Malfoy made and the Slytherins take to singing at. Every. Single. Match.
- Ron gaining his confidence and destroying the other team at quidditch, during which, neither Harry or Hermione were actually there to witness it. And Ron is so happy and proud but when Harry and Hermione start talking about Grawp, instead of being petty and angry at them, he listens intently and tries to help
- Always backing up Harry when Hermione is being slightly insufferable towards him and not really understanding of his needs. (e.g when she’s pressuring him to do better at occlumency and Ron tells her to back off)
- The whole arc where Arthur gets injured and all the Weasleys are sat around the kitchen at Grimmauld place waiting for news + the parts in St Mungos (this was in the film a little but they really didn’t go into the effect it had on the Weasleys. Especially Ron and Ginny)
- The miraculous plan they all come up with to get Harry into Umbridge’s office (which, admittedly, backfires, but hey. At least they tries) during which Ron plays a pivotal role, not just a struggling character in the background
- Everything to do with the ministry tbh ??? From battling death eaters to the spell that makes him delirious to the brain almost suffocating him
- Staying in the hospital wing with Hermione for the rest of the year and the scars all down his arms from where the brain attacked him
Half Blood Prince
- When Hermione is talking about why girls find Harry attractive and Ron is all like ‘Look at me Hermione! I’m tall too! I have scars too!”
- Backing up Harry when he answers Snape’s question about inferi compared to ghosts (”Well what Harry said was the most useful! If I’m going to face an inferi I’m going to be looking for if it’s transparent not asking ‘excuse me are you the imprint of a departed soul?’” or something similar. Get wrecked Snape.)
- All of the quidditch moments in this book are golden.
- That moment where Hermione super awkwardly asks Ron to Slughorn’s party and Harry is just in the background like,,, what an interesting plant
- Ginny antagonising Ron about never having kissed anyone and the subsequent Lavender disaster that followed
- Everything to do with Lavender tbh. Like, their whole relationship, not just the comic version in the movies
- Ron’s getting poisoned actually being a really serious thing and all his family showing up at the hospital wing
- Pretending to be asleep when Lavender comes to visit (Ron Weasley how dare you, your mother raised you better than this)
- Okay, I really want to make a separate post about this but the whole Luna/Ron friendship in this one is gold
- I feel like we as a fandom collectively forget this one but Ron and the rest of the DA fighting the death eaters with felix felicis whilst Harry is up the astronomy tower with Dumbledore
- Holding Hermione at Dumbledore’s funeral ???? Honestly that’s all I need in life
- RON ‘WE’RE WITH YOU WHATEVER HAPPENS’ WEASLEY VOWING TO ALWAYS BE AT HARRY’S SIDE INSTEAD OF SITTING IN THE BACKGROUND LIKE A STALE POTATO WHILST HARRY AND HERMIONE PLAN
- Giving Harry the how to charm witches book and actively trying to start a relationship with Hermione
- Comforting Hermione when she’s upset and not being awkward about it !!!! Character development (I’m seeing a parallel to the head pat in PoA, anyone else?)
- Standing up to the Minister of Magic at the age of seventeen like. Honestly Ron Weasley is such a badass I love him
- Literally giving up a life of comfort and security to go and live as a fugitive in order to help Harry
- Pushing Hermione the fuck out of the way when they’re found by Death Eaters near Charlesbury !!! Like, this boy is so brave and self-sacrificing I’m going to cry
- Falling asleep holding hands with Hermione @ Grimmauld place
- The severity of his splinching after the ministry debacle
- The very real concern for his sister and Harry + Hermione’s apparent apathy that triggers the fight between him and Harry, not some motive entirely brought about by jealousy as the movies suggest
- Okay, not Ron, but the movies really didn’t capture just how unable Harry and Hermione became without him. They didn’t talk to each other, they didn’t communicate in any way for like 95% of his absence. They were literally unable to function without him I’m so sad.
- Saving Harry’s life and, importantly, the conversation they had afterwards where Harry reassured him that his insecurities were unfounded. And the hug. Where was my hug,Yates? Where was it?
- Ron once again assuming his role as the heart of the trio; making Harry laugh, keeping the spirits up, getting them to function again.
- Malfoy Manor. Just. Malfoy Manor. “NO YOU CAN HAVE ME, TAKE ME!” “HERMIONE! HERMIONE!” Literally being so distressed and worried for Hermione that he OFFERED UP HIS OWN LIFE FOR HERS AND LOST THE ABILITY TO THINK RATIONALLY. CAn we just.
- Even despite the mental anguish he’s going through, Ron still manages to come up with a solution for where Dobby should take them
- Again, despite everything that’s happening around him, Ron does a near perfect imitation of Wormtail’s voice
- Disarming Bellatrix fucking Lestrange
- Managing to successfully apparate for the first time ever in a very high pressure situation in order to get Hermione to safety
- Taking his shoes and socks off to lay on Dobby’s grave
- Going back to Hogwarts and the reunion with the rest of his family; including Percy, which I really missed from the books
- Literally like everything that happened during the battle of Hogwarts but especially:
- “We’ve forgotten someone!” “Who?” “The house elves!” Like, guys, this is such a significant moment for his character and I understand completely why Hermione chooses this moment to kiss him
- How wrecked he was after Fred’s death. Like, in the books Ron is actually there to witness it. He sees his brother die. I am Not okay.
- Hermione having to physically restrain him because he wants to go and get revenge for Fred
- Ron punching Draco in his slimy little face “And that’s the second time we’ve saved your life tonight you two-faced bastard!”
- Offering to be the one to go to the shrieking shack ?? ALone ?? He says something like ‘Harry you can’t go un case they see you, wait here with Hermione, and I’ll take the cloak and-” when they all know it could be a suicide mission. I’m.
- BREAKING VOLDEMORT’S SILENCING SPELL
- I’m sorry let me just re-iterate: RONALD WEASLEY BROKE A SILENCING SPELL MADE BY ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL WIZARDS TO EVER EXIST
- Taking out Fenrir Greyback with Neville
- Being the first to reach Harry after he defeated Voldemort, along with Hermione
- Just the part where the trio go to Dumbledore’s office because I just. That’s such a nice and well rounded ending I’m going to cry
- In the epilogue, practically everything about Ron is great but especially: “Don’t worry, it’s me, I’m famous”
- I love Ron Weasley so much
- The films do not do him justice
- Admin Kat
(Feel free to reblog this with anything I’ve missed!)