Dealing with the “fake geek girl” stereotype as an industry professional:
- Being lectured on the historical significance of an anime series you spent two years subtitling.
- ‘You’ve probably never even heard of X,’ where X is a character played by someone you have on speed dial.
- The realization that you say ‘I can show you my pay stub’ a lot more than you ever thought you would.
- The constant battle between wanting to show people up with your geek knowledge and wanting to defend the fact that you’re not obligated to have geek knowledge to be valid.
- ‘Oh, I’m not talking about you, you’re legit.’
- Getting called out for a statement you didn’t even make in the comments of an article you wrote.
- That backpedal and fawn when they realized they just pissed off someone who might know one of their faves to the point that you actually kinda miss the negging.