tgc notes from 8/20 aka. the day the show stopped
*psa these are gonna be v v messy so brace yourself. also these are so late.
- nick choksi did my section’s pre show thing/ gave us dumplings. i was shaking so hard and he was so sweet and smiley aaah i love him.
- before the show they did the whole no cellphones thing but like in russian “cellphones? NIET! texting? NIET!” being said over the sound system, but the whole cast yells NIET, probably a couple other things followed by NIET and then “repeat offenders will be sent to siberia”
- shoba was in for natasha today and she was incredible. i love her so much she’s amazing. her voice is so pure and gorgeous and she’s just so sweet. aaaah i could go on for ages.
- before the prologue there’s this sequence where andrei leaves for war and it’s h e a r t b r e a k i n g
- so i had what i like to call the natasha spot ™. basically the majority of natasha’s blocking was right in front of me. we also made a ton!! of eye contact because of this. which means she brought a lot of people down to the natasha spot ™. but i’ll get into that later…
- before the private and intimate life when natasha sings “i know they’ll like me. everyone has always liked me.” shoba leaned over the railing and just sung it in the cutest possible way.
- paul pinto as the servant is hilarious. he’s just shuffling around the stage during the bolonsky numbers and it’s great.
- no one else has the most gorgeous lighting
- the duel’s strobe lights are so intense. and the outfits dear god.
- lucas. steele’s. entrance. in. the. opera. the lights fuck me up. and lucas does these poses to the beat of the music. it’s just great.
- anatole like fixed his hair in the mirror before entering the box. once he got in he like struck a pose to get natasha to notice him and it was glorious.
- about half way into ‘natasha and anatole’ natasha brought anatole down to the natasha spot ™ and he sat down on the stairs. which were directly next to my seat, like our shoulders were practically touching. and on the lines “ what makes a city pleasant, ce sont les jolies femmes. isn’t that so.” lucas grabbed my shoulder and looked directly into my eyes for a solid 30 seconds. i actually died and then was ressurected. he also winked while walking away and then proceded to make a ton of eye contact for the rest of the number.
- so after me and lucas’ moment i took a few minutes to process what just happened and then bam! i notice ben stiller is sitting across from me. and he is bopping so hard to the music (and he continued to do so for the whole show).
- dust and ashes was i n c r e d i b l e. scott is a god amongst men.
- during charming amber did so many cute lil hand gestures towards audience members
- now for letters. oh god. so basically i was the person who was supposed to give natasha the letter from anatole but like i got the letter and i freaked out. i didn’t know i was supposed to go up the steps and give it to shoba so i just kinda threw it at her. and i’m so. embarassed.
- brittain in sonya alone killed me. she sung directly to me for like 20 seconds she looked so hurt i just wanted to give her a hug. she also layed down on the stairs next to me for most of the preparations.
- the abduction hooooly
- anatole’s “whoa” was so?? long??
- ok so the girl who got the seat ™ jokingly handed lucas her water bottle and he chugged it. i was dying laughing. and they did the ‘how you doin’ nod to eachother. and she got him to break character. oh my lord it was the best thing i’ve ever witnessed.
- dance in your seat! you won’t regret it !!
- yOU wiLL NoT ENteR MYYYYY HoUsE !!!11!!!! anatole ran
ok so for the sound going out:
- charming and the ball were where the sound issues began
- the mics cut out during my house and grace was downstage in the natasha spot ™ and i swear i saw her start almost giggling when stage management came on and announced there would be a pause in the show.
- they made the actors leave the stage while the fixed the mics but scott just stayed in the pit.
- the mezz starting singing balaga and scott/the orchestra members in the pit were beaming. it was so precious.
- i was making a lot of jokes about just doing the whole show at the stagedoor acapella if they cancelled and i’m pretty sure scott heard me bc i swear he started laughing a bit.
- then we did the wave. scott and the orchestra joined in. now i can say i did the wave with ben stiller.
- when the actors when back out onstage lucas got to his place and said “does everyone remember what happened” before they restarted my house.
long story short august 20th was the best moment of my life so far and i would give anything to do it again.