One of the things I love about MacCready’s romance is that while at max affinity he can’t stop gushing over you and making romantic prose over how he loves/cares for you, I like thinking that it’s the opposite while the relationship grows, showcasing growing affection and care for the sole survivor with his actions.
- He’s always going to take the first watch. He’s not going to wake you up for second, claiming in the morning he just “wasn’t tired”.
- He won’t care how mad you about get about not waking you up, he’s going to do the same thing the next night. And the next night, and the next night …
- Even when the both of you can sleep soundly behind closed, locked doors, he waits until your breathing’s evened out before he even considers closing his own eyes.
- Always takes point when wandering in the open, makes sure you are hustled into cover before he settles in beside you. Occasionally a protective arm will wrap around you if the moment seems dire.
- Doesn’t hesitate to hold you back from entering the Memory Pod, the Teleporter, any inkling of danger. When you ask what’s wrong he’ll get flustered, not able to voice his concern, knowing he can’t stop you but wanting you to know he’s worried … even if he can’t say it.
- Always keeping stock on your ammo, counts the bullets you expend and makes sure to toss just the right amount your way at just the right moment.
- Might complain about carrying your junk but will secretly stash that extra box of Fancy Lads or fifteenth roll of duct tape when you’re not looking.
- Let’s you handle your own in conversations but makes sure to stand slightly behind you, rifle at the ready, just in case … just so they know who’s in your corner. He’ll throw a snark at them if they ask for it.
There’s so many other little things I think he does to showcase this, but I think at heart MacCready is a man of actions. His words are a close second, mixing well once you’ve earned his trust, but MacCready of all people knows simply stating “It’ll be a cold day in hell before I let something bad happen to you” won’t protect you from the Commonwealth.
He’s got to be able to act on that.