Today’s highlights in my ongoing project to read through and transcribe the letters of Rachel (a wealthy Victorian girl at boarding school on the East Coast in the 1890s) include…
Rachel’s cousin Will and his Yale roommate Allen both have the measles. Rachel shows limited sympathy (”Poor boy!”), before immediately mocking them and calling them “childish” for getting a disease only little kids get.
Rachel and her roommate “B” (It stands for Bertha!) attempted to steal a sign (what sort idk) from a fair they went to but found they “were carefully guarded”. She wishes Will could have been there to help.
Will has a crush on a girl named Jenny, who Rachel knows, and is constantly asking Rachel if Jenny has mentioned him.
“B” often sits next to Rachel as she writes and suggests things to add to the letter or just generally distracts her.
Will and Jack, who are brothers, don’t write to each other. They write to Rachel and tell her to write to the other and pass on a message for them. Rachel keeps asking why they do this, but goes along with it anyways.
Rachel always explains why there are ink blots or areas of sloppy writing in her letters. Explanations so far include such classics as: the dinner bell just rang, it’s after lights-out and I’m writing this in the dark, “B” is shaking my arm, “B” is kissing me, this pen is broken, the postman is almost here, and there was a bee.
For her 18th birthday Rachel received: a new Kodak camera, eighteen white rosebuds, silver manicure scissors, a pair of shell side combs, a silver pencil, and a vase of pink roses. However her favorite present was from her father who wrote to say she could just buy her own present and he would pay for it.
Rachel is always mentioning the pictures she takes with her Kodak. I wish I knew what happened to them.
Rachel likes to put question marks in the middle of sentences to denote sarcasm; i.e. “I am very ? sorry for you.” and “Men were not excluded and we had the pleasure ? of meeting several.”
Your 1890s slang word of the day: “squelch” (verb) - to be lectured or punished for something. Example: “I expect to be squelched unmercifully by mama and papa.” Can also be used as a noun as in: “This term we have had nothing but squelches.”
OH, REI-CHAN, YOU DELIGHTFUL FRUIT SALAD OF FASHION CHOICES… Half the time, she dresses very sleek and feminine, and half the time it’s like a toddler got to pick her own outfit for the first time. Let us observe.
10. The Rei Hino Classic, very on-brand with color, cut, and silhouette. Pick one up for your collection today.
9. A childlike but not irredeemable curry-making uniform. If you’re going to make instant curry anyway, you might as well look adorable while doing it.
7. If you tell me who made you wear those knee-high cream-colored boots with your turquoise denim jacket and Kraft Mac ‘n Cheese turtleneck, I swear I’ll bring them to justice. I’ll make them pay for what they’ve done.
6. She probably had to be hermetically sealed into this sweater and dress with shrink wrap, but it was totally worth it.
5. How many layers is Rei wearing in this picture? How many more layers are there that you can’t see? Is it not true that every thing exists either under or over everything else? Isn’t the universe just a long series of various layers?
4. Baby’s first boob window
3. Trying to take a leaf out of Ami’s book, but accidentally dropping it into a fire, and vacuuming up the ashes, and dumping those ashes into a blender with 2 different brands of black raspberry ice cream
2. A 28-year-old CEO of a major technological solutions company, who sacrificed everything to climb to the top but begins to wonder if it was all worth it
1. I am nothing if not predictable, but no one can blame me for putting this one at #1. Cinched waist. Rolled-up cuffs. Socks that blur the fine line between blue and green. White slip-ons. A single novelty clip shaped like a tulip.
And most importantly: built-in hand-warmer.
Let’s be real: first-grade me would have killed for this look.
Guy belittles me..I make him lose over $100K per year.
I am a Purchasing Manager for the city I work in. I have been doing this job for 11 years. We have contracts with various vendors but I want to talk about the company that does all of our dirt/gravel/limestone work. This story happened almost 4 years ago.
When I started we had a contract with this company. I spoke to the owner quite often and he was a pleasant guy. It was a family owned business that had only 4 employees but they were always ready to help the city when we needed. Every year, the owner would drop by and sign the contract before the new year began.
Well, the owner ends up passing away and his son takes over the business. His son had worked for the company right out of high school but ended up going work somewhere else. Came back to take ownership when his dad died. I never met the guy, didn’t know him, but my wife went to high school with him. On his Facebook page, he has pictures of his huge home, 4 vehicles, 3 boats(who the hell needs 3 boats), every ATV and toy imaginable. Just out of curiosity, I check all of the invoices from prior years and saw that we paid this company anywhere from $80K-$200K per year. In the time I was there, I figured out an average of about $140K per year.
So, we were in the middle of our contract when the owner died. I had some property that I wanted to put some mobile homes on so I would need some dirt hauled to my property. I decided to use the same company that the city uses. My wife called the new owner and set everything up for a Monday to haul the dirt and form up the dirt into a pad. It would cost me about $3,000. The mobile home was going to be delivered the Tuesday afternoon.
So, I’m at my property waiting for the guy to show up. Never does. My wife calls him and he says he can’t do the job. Too busy. I find out where he’s at(through connections at my job) and I show up to the site. I didn’t tell him who I was but asked what was going on. He said he had a bigger job to do and wouldn’t be able to get to it. I tell him that I have a mobile home being delivered the next day and I needed the work and had him lined up and he said “You know, what you would have paid me won’t make a dent in my pocketbook.”
I just looked at him and said, “Alright…” and left.
So, I ended up having to call a whole bunch of different places and eventually found a guy that could do the job for me. While him and I are talking, I tell him where I work and he mentions if he could possibly do work for us as a vendor. I get his information down and tell him I’ll be in touch.
I start researching at work and come to find out, we are supposed to holding a bid for that kind of work due to the dollar amount. We just never did because no one else was interested in doing the work.
In December of that year, the new owner calls me up and asks when he can come by and sign the new contract. I inform him that “due to regulations” we have to do a bid process. He seems kind of nervous but I inform him that it’s just a process we have to go through now and he shouldn’t worry because I told him that I doubt any one else would bid. He seemed more at ease and asked how the bid process went. Informed him that I would send him the information and he would need to fill out the bid sheet and come by and drop it off in a sealed envelope by a certain date.
I call the other guy that helped me out and tell him about the bid process. I also informed him that the company we deal with and the prices that they give us already(every information we have is public knowledge so I’m not doing anything wrong) and let him know that he should bid under that.
The day before the bid open date, the new owner of said company comes by and asks for the Purchasing Manager. He doesn’t know my name, but he knows my face. I come in the lobby and his mouth instantly drops. I extend my hand and tell him hi and that I was, in fact, the guy he needed to see. He asks if there are any other bids and I inform him that we didn’t have any others come in yet, which was a lie since I had the other guys bid.
No one comes in for the bid opening, which isn’t required, but the other guy who helped me out ended up winning the bid. I call the new owner to inform him that we had another bid come in last minute before the deadline and they were less so we would have to go with them.
He. Was. Pissed.
He was stuttering and stammering. Telling me that I’m going to be taking food off his kids plate, etc. I told him there was nothing i could do. He went to the public works office and they told him the same thing.
He has lost the bid process every single year. He no longer posts pictures of his “toys” on Facebook and I believe he downsized his home as well.
What was your favorite Bughead scene to film so far?
Probably the “I love you” scene in the Season 1 finale. It was just so beautifully written and so honest, and when he takes his hat off, it’s just like, “Aww.” It’s just a very earnest moment between the two of them. They didn’t really have to think about it. Well, Jughead maybe had to think about it. Like, “Do I love her? Am I in love?” Because he’s never experienced something like that before, and maybe he’s not necessarily used to being around a woman that he loves because his mom’s not really in the picture… So for him it was a much bigger deal, but for Betty it was immediately like, “I love you too” — it wasn’t even a second thought. She knew deep down that she loved him, she didn’t even have to process it or think about it. As soon as she said the words, it was out there and it was true. It was just a really sweet moment.
Were you prepared for all the Bughead shipping?
No, and I’ve never been so invested in a show where I’ve been a part of a ship or I’ve shipped two characters. I’ve never really been involved like that in a fandom, so it was very interesting to be on the receiving end of it. But it’s definitely special to see — it just means that people genuinely care about these characters. It’s kind of amazing to know that I can play this character that so many people genuinely care about, that’s how I take it.
Photos by Taylor Miller. Read the rest of Lili Reinhart’s interview here.
For the YoI anniversary, and for @lazulisong who has had a hellish week, I present to you: Yuuri Katsuki trying on a sample costume without realizing it’s totally backless all the way past the waist.
He takes a picture and sends it to Phichit as a joke - idk, do you think this is regulation? - but because Phichit is the best bro anyone could ask for, he immediately texts back You need that.
Phichit is not swayed by the fact that Yuuri would never be able to wear this in competition without a deduction. Get it for an ice show, he replies.
I can’t buy this just for an ice show, Yuuri says. Victor would buy him a costume just for an ice show. Victor would buy him a costume just to cook dinner in if it was flattering enough. But Victor is away and Yuuri is shopping alone, so his frugal upbringing is winning out.
Okay, then, Phichit says, punctuating the text with an eyebrows kaomoji. Just think of (eyebrows) what else (eyebrows eyebrows) you might use it for (eyebrows all the way down.)
And this is how Yuuri stepped to the rink side at the second annual Victor and Friends ice show, wrapped in Victor’s longest coat (stolen that morning under the guise of the rink feeling chillier than usual), and let it slide off his shoulders before blithely handing it to Victor, smiling, and taking the ice, letting Victor take a long look at the slope of his back as he waves to the crowd.
“How’re you doing, darling,” Chris murmurs to Victor halfway through Yuuri’s routine.
The show doesn’t end for another hour, Victor wants to keen to the heavens. He takes the next of several deep breaths through his nose instead.
“Hell no. Not happening — fucking ever. Not in your wildest dreams, princess.”
His response was immediate as you made your way down the hallway with the costume in hand. The look on his face as he realized the certain… entity that you were holding was beyond
priceless. It was of course the exact reaction that you had been expecting. His
brows furrowed while his top lip curled in disgust, the physically aversive
response to something as simple as a Halloween costume only causing your
amusement to run thicker. No, not even your boyfriend’s harsh refusal could
deter your mood, or your powers of persuasion for that matter.
“Oh, is that so?” You replied to Jimin, your brow arched in
a way that told him how so far from over this conversation was. “I seem to
remember that a certain someone lost a bet to me a few weeks ago? Remember that
game of poker? The deal was—”
“—This is what you
want to use your win from that on? Baby, c’mon anything else. You’re not this
evil, I know you aren’t… Are you?” He was pleading a little, his bottom lip
jutting out to try and tug at your heartstrings. Admittedly you felt a tiny
pull, but it was quickly overtaken by the image of Jimin wearing the costume
that was still dangling from the hanger in your hand.
Your mouth curved into a sultry smile as you made your way closer
to him. He was sitting down on the living room couch, a look of despair
flooding his eyes as he realized that there was no way in hell that you were
backing down from this. You sat the costume onto the open space next to Jimin,
his reaction a harsh flare of his nose. However, the tension soon dropped as
you went to straddle his lap, your hands swiftly moving to take their place on
either side of his face.
“You know, I really
thought that a demon would be a lot better at a game all about lying and
Natsu and Lucy’s daughter live drawing from the Friday panel at NYCC. I recorded this myself, and had to sacrifice the quality in order to post it on here (tumblr has a 100mb limit). I didn’t know Mashima would get into her name or her appearance so I stopped the video right when he said he was done, but he did say she wears the scarf like her dad and explained her hair a bit. And if I remember correctly he said she looks like Lucy. About the names, Mashima mentions Nashi and Luna (probably because it’s Natsu and Lucy’s names combined, I don’t remember if he said that though). I also can’t remember if the fans mentioned the name “Nashi” first (because everyone was like “what’s her name???”) or Mashima did in this panel. I do think it was Mashima who said it first. But yeah, here you go! Mashima approved, lol!
Small rambling: He wouldn’t draw something that didn’t agree with his story and he wouldn’t mislead or be cruel to his fans like that. Mashima is a VERY nice guy who treasures his fans so much. He was taking selfies with us, posing with us, laughing with us, talking to us, etc. I’m so glad I had the opportunity to meet him. If Mashima did not want to draw the children of Nalu/Gruvia, then he wouldn’t have. He would have politely declined, but as you all can see, he had no issues whatsoever. The fan asking didn’t even expect him to draw it, she was just wondering what the kid would look like. Mashima himself said “hmmm let me try!” That’s what what happened with Gruvia’s too–I had a back up character for him to draw me (Gray) if he declined drawing their child. Luckily he was all for it, and truly enjoyed drawing the kids. He even requested his staff/friend take a picture of the Gruvia child for him to keep.
Anyway questions are welcome, though I really haven’t looked at my ask box since… well… yeah. I’ll try to get to that soon, and I’ll answer questions to the best of my abilities. It depends if I can remember exactly what was said, because I didn’t record everything. X’D
Edit: Okay my friend had the recording too. She looks more like Lucy with her eye lashes. Has Natsu’s spiky hair. Dad’s scarf. And Mashima is the one who says her name after being asked.
This is probably gonna come across as quite negative, but it’s really not intended to be. I’m going to be honest because thats what this blog is about, honesty and discussion. I would never usually do a post like this, but I’ve spoken to a lot of people who are feeling the exact same way as myself. This isn’t spreading “hate” so don’t attack me for it, it’s an opinion and it’s something that I feel should be addressed. Anyway, here we go:
I genuinely feel as a fandom, we are all so blinded by how we perceive Lauren to be, that we always attempt to justify the things she says/does when in reality, there’s a lot of things, we don’t actually agree with. I’m struggling to accept this image she’s playing out. It’s obvious their team is preparing her for her solo career next year. Out of the 4, only she and Ally so far have been given permission to release a song for profit in mainstream pop this year. Now, we’ve touched on the younger fanbase issue before. Lauren has always wanted to be older and more mature than who she is. Every stage in life happens for a reason, we accept that as we grow we learn what we need to know, when we need to know it. L attempted to grow up so fast, that she’s now lost who she was. I look at L in 2015 then I look at her today. She was more mature and aware two years ago at 18/19 than she is now. Present day, her actions and behaviour contradict everything she stands for and preaches upon us. She selective, and addresses certain things on social media, leaving other major issues out. Her sexuality is now been questioned and undermined because of who she is been linked to and who she’s supposedly dating. That’s actually fucking sad, not just for L, but for LGBT fans across the fandom. She’s either drunk/high in nearly everything she uploads on Instagram. I understand thats a lifestyle choice, thats completely acceptable. There’s millions of people that do weed, I don’t personally but I don’t have an issue with people doing it, each to their own. However, what I do have a problem with is young fans cluelessly imitating Lauren’s behaviours because of her status and profile. If she wasn’t so public and blatant about what she was doing, I wouldn’t be writing this. None of the other girls are, and this is partly my issue. L attempts to justify who she is and her lifestyle but all she’s doing is conforming to the stereotypes put in place by the music industry by publicising everything but not what’s important.
There’s been instances where Lauren has been so rude and impolite to respectful fans who nicely and respectfully ask for pictures or to talk with her. I understand theres a lot of fans who don’t respect the girls privacy, the airport incident was just one of many situations. But, 90% of the fandom are genuine fans who literally just want to take a picture or talk for a few minutes with their idols. These are the genuine fans that in reality elevated the girls to the level of success they currently sit at today. I’ve spoke to fans who have been left in tears at the Meet and Greets because Lauren couldn’t be bothered to interact with those who had spent hundreds of dollars to specifically meet her. I understand she’s human, she’s allowed to have off days we all have them. But, it’s important to remember, Lauren chose to audition back in 2012, she chose to sign a group contract and she chose fame. Nobody else chose this but herself.
Fame can be the greatest thing in the world. You can do what you love, gain a platform and address issues you’re passionate about and have them taken seriously. However, it’s the most damaging thing to ever exist in humanity. What comes with fame is money and greed, and individuals loose who they perceive themselves to be. L’s confidence in herself often comes across as egotistical and arrogant. In any real life situation, no one should behave like that because no one is ever going to be the best. Why’s that? Because, there’s always going to be someone in life who comes along that’s better than you are and unfortunately, that’s just the way the world works.
I’m going to be completely honest with you all here, I genuinely fear L will lose herself in industry as a solo artist. There’s temptation, and people will try and craft her into a mould for the sole purpose of making money. We’re already seeing this happen. I fear her political and social activism will be degraded because of how she behaves and portrays who she is. There’s that added pressure to be the best vocally and if were being honest, theres always someone new that’s better. Her feminism and liberation as a woman will be taken away from her if she continues being linked to those known for their misogynistic and antifeminist behaviour. Her sexuality, something so empowering, brave and a huge part of who she is, will be degraded and mocked if she’s in relationships with certain people who think bisexuality is a joke. It’s not acceptable.
The healthiest and safest thing for Lauren to do, is to distance herself from social media and concentrate on what really matters. Spending time with family to reground herself of who she is and what she stands for. She’s got so much going for her and her potential is endless. But at the same time, she’s losing a lot of respect from fans who have been there from day one and those are the same fans that regardless of contract, can make or break a career.
hey everyone, i’m going to be honest here, you will never get rid of procrastination completely. unless i’m wrong, and there may be some possible way to completely get rid of procrastination. if so, i don’t think anyone has figured it out.
anywho, i’ve been procrastinating for years, so i feel like i have some decent tips on how to procrastinate less. here’s my advice!
1. focus on your discipline the most. your discipline skills are your biggest defense against procrastination. there will be times in your life where you just DON’T want to finish your essay, we’ve all been there. you need good discipline to get you in focus. stop thinking about all of those distracting concepts that pull you into procrastination, and start doing your work.
2. you need to keep the good motivation to fight procrastination. it ties along with #1, except motivation is more long term. if you want to accomplish your goals, you get the discipline needed to work for them.
3. try to find time around the day to do some work, especially at school. i do school work at lunch, and sometimes in the morning, as well as occasionally in class if i have free time, since i don’t have a study hall. it helps since it feels like you have less work to do during your normal studying times.
4. remember, doing a little bit of work for a big assignment is better than ditching it completely. if you get a project on the first day, and only manage to do 1/5 of it on that day, it really is better than not doing it at all. you might thank yourself later. try really hard to at least do ONE thing on any work you get on the first day.
5. multitask if more than one assignment correlates with another. if you have a history worksheet and a history test coming up, use the worksheet to review concepts when you need to study. i do this often, and it helps me more than just doing the worksheet. this might not help others though, and that’s fine too! if you can only focus on one thing at a time, you do your thing.
6. i cannot stress this enough, find any good time management that works for you. one popular option is the pomodoro technique (25 minutes of working with a 5-minute break. i’ve heard of other options as well, from 20 → 10, 40 → 20, and even 52 → 17. if you’re not into routines, at least take a break for 5-10 minutes whenever you feel mentally exhausted! just not every 5 minutes, trust me, that leads to procrastination after the second or third “break”.
7. use your “break” time (from #6) doing something relaxing and NOT distracting. unless you have godly discipline skills, i doubt going on your phone will cause you to get back to work properly. take a small walk, eat a snack, stretch, etc.
8. use those app/program blockers to block social media and messaging apps if you’re like me and you have severely weak discipline skills. nothing much will happen while you’re busy doing your work. if something does occur, that’s up to you to find out when you’re done with your work.
9. find a good place to actually do your work! my favorite is the library, it’s so peaceful and it gives the right setting for studying. try your best to study in the least distracting place possible. if you can’t, attempt to decrease as many distractions in your location as possible.
10. find what works for you in terms of listening to music. i personally listen to kpop, and some of us know how catchy the music can be. however, i can usually listen to kpop while doing worksheets without getting distracted. however, if i’m studying, retaking notes, reading, etc. i need ambient music (i mainly use rainymood.com!) to make me concentrate. some of us need instrumentals and/or ambient music, others can’t listen to music at all. that’s fine!
11. turn off your notifications, turn on airplane mode, put away your phone, etc. do anything that works for you. i need my phone as well as internet, so i just turn off my notifications, but not seeing any distractions might make you more likely to do your work.
12. plan things out when you get home. i personally cannot do my work first thing when i get home unlike some people, i get too mentally drained from school! i take a shower, and then eat lunch while doing my work. find out what works for you. i also cannot do the hardest assignment first to “get it out of the way”. i need a medium level assignment to prepare myself for the heavy mental work for the hard assignments!
13. as referring to #12, if one advice doesn’t work for you, don’t use it! we are all different, so if practically everyone you know can do one thing, and you’re better doing the opposite of that, just do what makes you better at productivity.
14. plan out big projects, quizzes, tests, etc.do not cram! i repeat! please! do not cram! it doesn’t feel good at all, and you’re more likely to score worse anyways. try to balance out your work/studying every day or a couple days a week with a good amount of time for all of those days. it helps your memorization more, too.
15. some say that studying in a different place once in a while helps. i personally never tried this, because my brain cares more about adaptation, but it has helped other people i know!
16. get comfortable when you study, but not too comfortable. don’t study on your bed, and please don’t study on the floor. your brain thinks of your bed as the place to sleep, so it’s best to not be on your bed often unless it’s for sleeping. for me at least, studying on the floor really kills my back. please get comfortable and find a table or desk or anything good!
17. another thing i do is that i switch assignments if i feel like i’m not focused. it helps me a lot, i would assume it lets my brain change focus to another productive activity which results in me gaining focus on something important!
18. do anything productive if you have a long break (or if you’re procrastinating haha). it gets your brain in a productive mood and it can help you focus when you go back to your work.
19. reward yourself for whatever bit of work you accomplish. my favorite rewards are my biggest distractions that i look forward to when i finish all of my work. :”)
20. take your free time away to do some extra work every once in a while. it certainly helps not to cram everything in one day.
21. please remember that it takes some, if not a lot of time to improve a habit like procrastination. you will not improve completely in one night. and sometimes, you will procrastinate, and that’s okay! just keep improving yourself, you have time.
22. if you’re looking for a reason or a sign not to procrastinate right now, this is it. tumblr can be such a distraction. you probably have something important to do. and i’m here to tell you to get back to work and finish what you need to do.
inspiration: shamelessly and 100% inspired by tom’s instagram post and story; i couldn’t help myself he’s such a cutie
a/n: just thought i’d take advantage of the absolutely adorable picture/caption combo
Tom was never in the business of keeping secrets, even less so when said secrets made him the happiest he ever thought possible.
Now that he’s with you, all he wants to do is go public with your relationship, but you both had agreed upon taking that step when he finishes filming and his schedule steadies out.
Despite the mutual decision, Tom can see the toll all the secrecy is taking on you; you’re a little less cheerful and a lot more stressed - as he would imagine anyone in a secret relationship would be. He’s asked you about it in the past and almost threw all caution to the wind and went public with you anyways, but you were always quick to brush it off and blame your lack of enthusiasm on the day’s fatigue.