What do you wish you had First-Year during move-in, and what did you wish that you left at home? I'm trying to pack/shop and I'm finding it super overwhelming!
WOW. It’s almost a year since I moved into college. Dang time flies. Anyways, I made a quick compilation of things I wish I brought/wish I
DISCLAIMER: This list will vary for your different colleges you all are going to. Of course, you can tweak this list to your needs and this list should not be set in stone! For my college, we have free printing and irons provided in the laundry room, and we are not allowed to loft beds or use nails (so therefore I did not bring a toolkit), and we did not have access to cable, so check with your college to see what is available at your school!
Things I wish I brought with me during move in day (obviously other than essentials)
- Duct tape/packing tape: holy shat this is vry important and you will need this. I didn’t have enough so it was a real struggle, but it’s really important so that my plastic shelves would stay in place and so I could tape all my wires to the walls so they will stay hidden. Also later on, if something falls apart, that tape fixes all. Also YOU WILL NEED DIS MOVING OUT NIGHT FOR SURE.
- PAPER TOWELS/CLEANING SPRAY: Dorm rooms are very dust. Very gross. Bring it
- BUG SPRAY BUG SPRAY BUG SPRAY
- More snacks: I actually didn’t think about packing snacks, but I got REALLY hungry later that night. I remember that they provided meals that day but I was so nervous/anxious I didn’t eat any of the meals. So after initiation (lol) that night, I was STARVING. Move in day is exhausting so make sure you have some food in your room.
- Real obvi if ur a female, but tampons/pads. I completely forgot my stash at home, so I had to awkwardly ask a new person I met for the first time for a tampon, but it’s ok bcuz we are friends now, but still. And then I had to trek to CVS.
- More extension cords. BRING AT LEAST 2. SO MANY WIREs AND PLUGS AND ELECTRICITY IF UR TECHNOLOGICAL AND SHIT
- Scissors: If you wanna make little signs/decorations for your room and make it all artsy fartsy bring scissors. And paper. Cute paper. BUT SCISSORS WILL MAKE INSTANT FRIENDS.
- Sunglasses: I brought mine, but I want to STRESS how important it is to have them with you at all times. I wore mine all day to avoid awkward moments when people catch me staring at them. Also they always make you go outside move in day/ orientation so if u don’t wanna be squinting all the time bring them. Just bring them.
- ID holder thingy (coinpurse or small plastic slot thing): You can either buy the plastic thing at the bookstore or bring your own coin purse. You actually don’t know how many people lose their student ids the first week.
- SPEAKERS: IF YOU LIKE JAMMIN OUT THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. SOMETIMES LAPTOP SPEAKERS ARENT ENUF OK
- A nicer/dressier outfit: Move in day/move in week = a lot ceremonies at many colleges.
- Straight up ca$h money. Thank me later.
- I can’t really think of anything else so I’ll add later when I do think of more things, but if you want be to do an essential dorm packing list lmk via message.
THINGS U DON”T RLY NEED WHATSOEVER JUS DONT BRING IT PLZ: (didn’t bring most of these items but my friends did and i wuz like wtf)
- TV: SORRY IM JUDGING BUT WHO THE HELL WATCHES TV NOWADAYS. AND IT’S A HASSLE TO STORE LATER OR GET RID OF. DONT BRING AND USE NETFLIX. SUCH A WASTE OF AIR.
- printer: that shit’s expensive to replace all the ink and stuff when it’s FREE at the lib. Srsly, spend your $$$ on something else.
- Keurig: Just because everyone got one for their graduation presents doesn’t mean you need one. And your roommate will probably have one.
- Tool kit: This one doesn’t even make sense but a lot of beauty gurus always stress how ESSENTIAL it is. No. never. Never did I regret not getting a toolkit.
- Iron: wut.
- 10,000 pens/pencils (vry guilty of this) NOPE. Just ended up losing all of them or never opening packs. Just get a pack and be responsible.
- Notebooks (vry guilty as well): For some reason, I thought that bringing 8 notebooks was reasonable???? Nope. Just bring 3 or 4. Something called laptops.
- High heels: BOSTON COBBLESTONE+MY HEELS=NEVER AGAIN. Just bring a pair and that’s it.
- Bread: Don’t ask me why I thought it was a good idea to bring a loaf of bread???
- those little bath and body work plug in scent things: NO. YOUR ROOM IS SMALL SO POTENT SCENTS WILL CAUSE SUFFOCATION. RLY. SO BAD>
- Absolute junk: don’t live in the past. Don’t be a hoarder and give up some things. Your room and your roommate will thank you.