Sherlocked Con USA is over and we’ve been left with..different emotions. Disappointment, despair, confusion, anger… I think it’s totally okay to feel that right now. We need some time to sort out everything. I’ve been in the same condition yesterday. Today I want to calm down and to find some peace and harmony for myself in this fandom.
Our fandom is going through a difficult time now. Even the most united parts of it are starting to separate. It’s totally understandable in the light of everything that happened in the last couple of days.
I’d like to write down some thoughts about Mofftiss’ statements.
For me it’s the most difficult part.
Her revelation as a villain should’ve been the most LOGICAL conclusion for her character’s arc.
I’m not going to repeat everything we already know about Mary being coded as a villain throughout TEH-T6T. Just a short list of the most suspicious (for me) “coincidences“ regarding her character’s arc:
- “Miss me?” / “Go to hell, Sherlock”
The writers could choose any possible inscription for her posthumous DVD, but they decided to add another parallel between Mary and Moriarty. And then they left the audience with a feeling of “Oh my God, she’s planning something, something bad, just like Moriarty”. If you didn’t want your audience to suspect something, if you wanted to turn her into Saint Mary, you should’ve STOPPED MAKING THESE PARALLELS as soon as possible
- She killed the protagonist. Not “nicely”, Mofftiss. You wrote this: “One more step, Sherlock, and I swear I will kill you”. And she killed him. Period. She never said “sorry”, never showed any signs of regret for causing Sherlock and John so much pain. “We are even” is a bullshit.
- What a coincidence that she appeared in John’s life when he was mourning Sherlock for almost two years. What a coincidence that she is an ex-assassin. What a coincidence that Mycroft was AWARE OF HER PAST, he even hired A.G.R.A. a couple of times. Mofftiss, do you even know your own show?
- Her death scene is a violation of everything we’ve been told in HLV about shooting in a chest. What’s impossible, as Molly said? 1) You don’t fly away after the bullet hit you (TICK). 2) There’s no big stream of blood (TICK). 3) You have 30 seconds of consciousness before passing out, there’s no time for heartbreaking speech (TICK). BONUS: the laws of physics are not for Mary, apparently.
So, they told us that they used this surname just because there were three men hanging out outside the window in Sherrinford. What kind of bullshit is THAT? They mentioned several times that “The Three Garridebs” is precious and important for Holmes’ reaction on Watson’s injury. They KNEW that this question will be raised sooner or later. Why didn’t they just use ANOTHER SURNAME for these men? There’s no logic, no sense. At all.
Redbeard / Victor TrevorThe decision that was made in the last minute?
So, in TSoT we heard the word “Redbeard” for the first time. 2nd and 3rd are in TAB (in the greehouse scene / in Mycroft’s notebook). They want to tell that there was NO PLAN, they just trusted their guts and never knew what’s the purpose of these plot moves?
What the hell, or my ambigious conclusion
“Mary’s issue” is the biggest one that make me believe in Mofftiss’ madness. While there’s still too much evidence for her revelation as a villain, I can believe that they genuinely considered Mary’s redemption arc as a good plot twist. Why could these two self-proclaimed ACD’s fanboys (who are TOTALLY AWARE of Mary Morstan’s minor role in canon) be sure that this is a great idea to add to their adaptation a badass Mary, who later turns into Saint Mary, I have no idea.
Some people are suspecting that there’s some connection between Amanda Abbington’s personal relantionships with Mofftiss (especially with Gatiss), hence her benefit performance in T6T (”BBC Mary”, urgh). If this is the case, I have only one thing to say: it’s totally stupid and unprofessional. NOTHING, including real-life relantionships, SHOULD INFLUENCE YOUR NARRATIVE’S LOGIC. Otherwise they’re truly bad writers, who doesn’t care about their own beloved show, not to mention the audience.
Oh, and that’s the problem. If Mofftiss are not lying, then they (and the other crew members, like Arwel) are TOTALLY UNAWARE OF THEIR AUDIENCE’S DEVOTION TO THE SHOW. They’ve been filming “Sherlock” for seven years so far, they’ve seen the dozens/hundreds of fans on setlock and conventions. I’m sure they were aware of the fact that there are lots of meta and analysis of the (sub)text of “Sherlock”. Right now they are behaving like they’re genuinely don’t understand that their show has multimillion audience, and some fans love it wholeheartedly. Moffat, who said to the DW fans that if they don’t read the subtext, then “hell mend you”, apparently, decided not to apply the same rule to “Sherlock”. They want us to believe that there was no long-term plan, that the majority of plot moves were made without any ideas how it’ll be revealed in the future.
What are my thoughts about everything?
Well, I’ve chosen not to be on one particular side.
There are things that are still bothering me.
1) I don’t want to believe in any single word from Arwel about the glowing skull. If he “just wanted it to glow” (for fuck’s sake, what the hell is that), then I see it as very disappointing and unprofessional decision. You want to fill the show about a detective / deductions / the power of observations with “meaningless” details that CAPTURE AUDIENCE’S ATTENTION (well, hello, I remind you that this bastard turned black in TLD when Sherlock had been on the edge of death / in the scene with Lestrade in T6T this bastard took the half of the screen glowing like fucking supernova)? You should think twice. Think about your audience above all, PLEASE, and not about something you “want” to add.
2) Their lies about “limited budget” were so blatant, I dont even know what to add. And I don’t understand what’s the problem with “limited budget”? It has nothing to do with the ability of writing your show cohesively.
3) Sue and her explanation of the scene in ASiP made me laugh, cry and scream. So, Sherlock and John, who knew each other for a DAY at that moment, should’ve said to Mrs. Hudson that they’re needing ONE bedroom to be coded as homosexuals?! Jeez, do you, LGB-fellas, frequently move in with same-sex flatmate and start to sleep in one bedroom from day one?
Apparently, yes, according to Sue’s comment.
I’m not insulting Sue, I just want to point out that her statement makes no sense. It’s ridiculous.
4) Yes, I still can’t accept the fact that Mofftiss used more than 150 romantic tropes unintentionally. “Homoerotic subtext” got out of their control. Some blatant parallels and mirrors are right on the surface of the show and I can’t believe they weren’t aware of that. What about Ben and Martin’s acting choices? If they considered this show as a romance (since Moffat claims there wasn’t any long-term plan), why Mofftiss never asked them to “slow down” a little? But that’s the point where things are becoming confusing.
They filmed the Gay Pilot. Ben said (sorry, can’t add a link, but trust me, I learnt this words by heart) that he agreed to take part in this adaptation’s filming only after Mofftiss told him IN WHAT DIRECTION Holmes and Watson’s RELANTIONSHIP will evolve. We all know what happened to their relantionship in S4. No sense. Martin said “Sherlock” is the gayest TV show. Queerbaiting? Everything’s possible.
My dear fandom-mates, trust YOURSELF, trust your own eyes and hearts. Our reading of the show isn’t wrong. We have too much facts on which (!) our theories are based. I can’t express how proud I am of every single fan artist, fic writer, meta writer. How proud I am of everyone who believe in this beautiful love story. YOU made sense of this show. YOU deepened it’s (sub)text.
We don’t deserve the writers’ lies, insults and gaslighting. We don’t deserve being treated like immature individuals.
No matter if they have an explanation for all the S4 fuckiness / if there’s the logical conclusion for their story in some kind of special episode or S5 - I won’t praise them. Never again. I’d like to thank them for S1-TAB, because it is very good and coherent story (yes, they wrote it accidentally, hahahah). I’d like to thank Ben and Martin for everything.
I’m not leaving the fandom. Never. I love this show too much. I’m still onboard with some speculations and theories (we have too much facts worth analysing, I guess, and it doesn’t matter at all if Mofftiss never intended these theories to be true).
My blog won’t turn into Mofftiss’ hatred. I’m tired of negativity in my real life. We have a lot to discuss, so let’s enjoy it. Of course, I’ll be salty towards anything that comes from our beloved writers’ mouths, but I won’t spread negativity.
I love you so much, my friends.
Please, take care of yourself. Media and fictional worlds are important (very much!), but our mental health is something we need to take care of above all.