'Westworld' Creator Lisa Joy: "I Represent Opportunities for Other Women and Women of Color"
“There is that pressure not only to be prolific but to not f— up,” Westworld creator Lisa Joy told The Hollywood Reporter of being a female TV boss during the Drama Showrunner Roundtable. “And especially when you feel the added burden of being a woman who is doing this now. I represent opportunities for other women and other people of color, and I’m trying to start my own kind of movement.”
“Nobody ever has a problem if a man writes a woman,” Joy said of her western-sci-fi series. “I wanted to be able to say, ‘Well, I can write your men and your action, too. You don’t just have to give me the love scenes, which I don’t even think are my strong suit.’ It was about trying to take as many topics and saying they’re not off-limits for me or people like me.”
It has come to my attention that there have been… problems, to say the least, with the Percy love triangle. I admit that it was completely my idea to create a love triangle aspect for Percy, so I don’t mind taking any of the blame for this ship war and how out of hand this ship war has gotten.
Regardless, I believe it’s best to end this as soon as possible. I rp’d a scene with Aricia similar (ish) to the scene with Charlotte, which hopefully Aricia and I can both post either today or tomorrow. Both the Charcy and Pericia scenes end with the promise of a date with Percy. I will still rp the dates with the girls (assuming they’re both still interested). Then, I will write a fic including both the dates (Charlotte and Aricia, if you want to write a fic for the date, please wait until after I have written mine) and at the end of the fic, I will announce who Percy chooses. I hope this solution will end the fighting fast without angering any shippers by not concluding a ship.
If anyone has any problems or hate, I think I’m in a strong enough and confident enough mindset to take it, so please direct hate towards me and not the other girls. Thanks!
I love that Louis had few nice words to say about everyone (z understanding him and his nerves and his fantastic voice; n being nicest and fearless and l always getting crowd going) while reserved for H "he is cool" and he chose to point difference between all of them and h by just one small FYI note : I bet h doesn't have same problem... love it
ok but even more to your point he didn’t just say harry ‘is cool’ he said harry ‘comes across very cool’ like….. the shade of it all tbh
there’s so many reasons im in love with this interview, the biggest being that it feels like the most honest and real moment we’ve been allowed to see from louis in a long time but the fact that louis is in his own, somewhat subtle way exposing the Truth™ of the behind the scenes situation of 1d is so simultaneously validating and crushing because that truth is something louies CALLED but also its a truth that has really disadvantaged louis.
also im so over the moon to see louis use his first solo opportunity to speak highly of liam, niall and zayn. like i hedged my bets and didnt want to get my hope up, particularly on the zayn front, but im so glad he is the way he is, just this very kind hearted, sunshine of a person. like i couldnt love him any more than i do
just because a lot of str8s are vile about lesbianism doesnt mean women cant be intimate and passionate with each other. ur friends who were giving u "sexed up" looks are the problem
But these aren’t actual lesbians, they’re performers and characters one is introduced mostly as a slut. It’s a CRAZY sexed up performance that they did at the Tony’s (the only bit most people will ever see of that performance)
I wasn’t saying they should have lesbian love scenes or passionate make out sessions, just that it ISN’T a good representation of/for gay women and does contribute to the over sexualization of women. Maybe when I can casually kiss my girl in public without being harassed, it will be exciting to see such public displays of lesbianism.
This week I had a lovely conversation with an older dyke who reminded me how much a lot of people have always hated TERFs and SWERFs.
She was talking about the time in the 1970s and 1980s when she was a young radical dyke and how many of the awesome dykes in the radical scene were trans women. So I asked her if there was ever any problem with TERFs and SWERFs. She didn’t know those words so I described them. Her reply was (paraphrasing a longer conversation):
“Oh, you mean the political lesbians? That’s what we called them at the time, no one really considered them radical. They hated everyone. They hated bisexual women who dated men. They hated us leather dykes and kinky dykes because they thought we were ‘copying the patriarchy’, they hated trans women. None of us in the radical scene liked them. A lot of them later left and admitted that they were straight but were presured to identify as lesbians in that group because being a feminist to them meant cutting all ties with men. They were like a cult. They often lived together and if you didn’t walk the political line you were dead to them. Intense stuff.
And like, I know her memories don’t have global relevance and there have also been places where TERFs had a much more prominent impact on the local radical women’s community, but still, to hear how despised these TERFs have always been by these truly radical dykes cheered me up a lot.
Question: Before you decided to make Bill the main bad guy, did you have another character in mind that would have been the villain?
Alex: Yeah, um that’s a good question. Uh, so, when we came up with the villain of the show, I knew that… I knew that Bill was involved. And I knew that Ford had disappeared due to some deal gone wrong with some villain next to the mystery of how Gravity Falls was all assembled.
Um, but, I didn’t yet decide that Bill was that character in the very beginning, y'know? I had always imagined it was some sort of evil character somewhere kinda hidden in the woods.
I wasn’t sure I could go with the Bill idea cuz I thought it would be too much like Twin Peaks, but as we got further along the series we discussed it among the repairs and we were like, ‘none of our other villain ideas were as good.’ Bill, Bill was weirder than anything else we thought of.
Um, I remember there were other ideas. Strange monsters and government officials; some kind of cthulhu– some weird crazy old man. But nothing was ever better than Bill, so it ended up sticking.
Probably somewhere around, y'know, season one– midway through season one, we started thinking we might be– might be on point.
Q: Was Grunkle Stan ever aware of McGucket’s connection to his brother?
A: Oh, oh that’s such a good question. Wait, let me think about that for a second… Uh… lemme see… I don’t think so. I don’t think Stan was ever aware of McGucket’s connection to his brother.
Because, by the time Stan traded identities with Ford, uh… McGucket had already gone off the deep end– Was already y'know, had already created the Society of the Blind Eye; had already lost his own memory. So Stan would’ve really only known McGucket as a local obnoxious fisherman.
And McGucket, probably somewhere deep in the back of his mind, was eerily just drawn to Stan in a way he just couldn’t put his finger on, because he thought maybe he knew him, but–
I don’t– I think Stan was ignorant of that. Um, I think Stan… I think Stan looking through the journals probably should’ve put two and two together, but Stan’s not the best at book-learnin’.
Uh, so… my guess is Stan wouldn’t have known despite that uh, that there’s a lot of tumblr art out there showing them as like the Scooby-Doo gang. I don’t think Stan ever really knew McGucket before.
Q: What episode do you believe came out the strongest and the most well rounded overall? And is it the same as your personal favorite episode?
A: Oh gosh. Um. That’s a great question. Hmm… I probably feel, personally, that the strongest episode is uh, “Not What He Seems” just because it’s such a dramatic episode. Like, we know– We’ve never had an episode that dramatic.
But, when we first pitched it to Disney executives… they thought it was bad. [laughs] Um, Because it didn’t have a lot of jokes in it?
Like, I remember normally when we’re pitching our episode, executives can usually gauge how good they are by how much people laugh. People didn’t really laugh for that one, because it’s really tense. So we thought, maybe we’d screwed up. But, when the animation came back we were like, 'Oh! It’s GOOD that it’s tense. Like, it worked!’
Um, So, I dunno if that’s my favorite episode, but I think– that’s the episode we should’ve won an Emmy for, and I’m still pissed we didn’t. [laughs]
In terms of favorite episode, like… I dunno. I think the first episode that I really felt that the show was really starting to feel the way I wanted it to– “Time Traveler’s Pig” in season one.
Like, that was an episode where Dipper had an interesting story, and Mabel had an interesting story, and uh, felt nostalgic, and based around the summer, and had a big secret callback to even previous episodes, so–
I just remember when we first just got that episode back in color, I was like, 'hey I think maybe I like how I’m making this cartoon show,’ so I think that has a particularly fond place in my heart, y'know.
Q: Is Disney bringing you to SDCC or NYCC later this year to promote the journal and other books coming out?
A: Right, um, yeah, Disney– Disney… Disney-general and me, have like– we’re divorced. Like, they kept the house, and the pets. Y'know what I mean? It’s… we don’t like get dinner or anything. But, the Disney Publishing department, separate from Disney Television, they’re really cool, and enthusiastic, and energized.
And they wanna make new cool stuff. Um, so I think it’s possible I might be at D23 this year, and it’s possible I might be at Comic Con, but I don’t have anything confirmed yet.
Q: In the scene where Bill is trying to convince Ford to join him in the Fearamid, were there any other jokes or story beats that were considered?
A: Which episode specifically are you talking about? [Q: The We’ll Meet Again scene.]
Yea yea yea, We had a– Every scene that you’ve ever seen in the show has a ton of ton of stuff we’ve thought of and had to cut for time or other reasons.
Um, I remember there was definitely a version of that where Bill was a lot trickier. Like, he sort of more successfully lied to Ford about like: 'We’re actually going to make the world a better place. Though I present myself as this chaos lunatic that’s just my personality.' Like, 'here’s ways in which we’ll IMPROVE the universe.'
Um, but it felt out of character. We thought it was much more like Bill to just draw smiley faces in oceans and eat the sun and just– hope, that the force of his charisma could convince Ford that that was a good idea.
But uh, I feel like– I feel like Bill can be really really tricky when he wants to, but by the time Weirdmageddon showed up he’s so impatient, and he’s so convinced that he won, that he was no longer like, this brilliant chess master he used to be. He’s like, 'alright let’s do it! Do what I want or I’ll eat your face.’
Like, no more– No more, like– He wasn’t as smart a tactician as he used to be, y'know?
Q: Was “We’ll Meet Again” always the song you were going to use?
A: Oh yeah, it had to be that. It was like… I think I’d just seen Dr. Strangelove recently around that time and it stuck in my head. It seems to me, if Bill has a taste in music, it would be, like, old timey music that ranges from either weird to obnoxious to obscure.
Uh, Disney wanted me to cut it cuz it cost them a bunch of money to get the rights, even though it’s so old, it still cost them money to get the rights. And I just… said, please. Over and over and over again. I would send an e-mail that just said, 'please.’ And send another e-mail that said, 'please.’ And I would send another e-mail that said–
Yeah. [laughs] Eventually I wore them down that they’re like, 'alright we’ll spend thousands of dollars.’[laughs]
Q: Are real comics coming?
A: You want comics? Would you read Gravity Falls comics? [Audience screams] [Alex leans his ear forward] [AUDIENCE SCREAMS]
A: It’s a terrifying noise isn’t it, Michael? I was at a… Gravity Falls gallery, and like, they didn’t tell us how many people would show up, and it was like, THAT noise echoing from every corner. And uh like, I think I lost a year of my life. My hair started going gray, and it was like, 'oh my god, this is too much love! It’s terrifying.'
Comics. I would love to do Gravity Falls comics. Um, I have so many… One of the tough things about a half hour show like Gravity Falls is every now and then we think of an idea that we really liked, but it was too short for a half hour; 'oh that’s only five minutes of story’– Or it’s too specific and weird.
And so I have tons and tons of ideas of the show that y'know we’d like to explore this character, we’d like to show this secret, this storyline. So, I’d love to do comics. But, that’s up to Disney Publishing, and I’m trying to convince them. So, hopefully, I’ll have something exciting to announce in not too long.
Q&A with Stan and Soos
Q: Is Dipper adorable or manly?
Stan: Dipper smells like baby wipes. Even if I cut off all my shoulder hair, and taped it to him, he wouldn’t be 1/10th as manly I am.
Q: What would you do if Mabel told you she had a date to prom?
Stan: I would… invite the gentleman over, have some coffee, tie him to a chair and interrogate him for 10 hours, and maybe throw him in the pit. [shrug] Hands off my neice, kid!
Q: What would happen if Soos met Giffany again?
Soos: Oh yea, I recently downloaded this couple’s therapy sim? Uh, I think she and I would have to talk about our issues and pass around a conversation pillow, and really work out these struggles. Cuz she’s got some problems, dude.
Q: Soos, why are you so perfect?
Soos: Yeah, uh, my grandma said that a whole bunch of doves flew down and formed the shape of a perfect angel over my crib. I dunno, dude I guess I was just born that way.
Ooh in that case a 10 times sex went hilariously wrong list??
top 10 times things went wrong during sex!!
Could you do a Top 10 With the FUN STORIES ABOUT THINGS GOING WRONG DURING SEX? This is from the ASK about Yuuri more silly and confident.
You mentioned “amusing ‘things going wrong during sex’ stories” and now I’m wondering if that could be made into a top ten list? （≧∇≦）
Top ten ‘things going wrong during sex’ stories!!!!!!
Since you mentioned it in a previous ask, would you mind doing a top 10 things going wrong and / or funny things which happened during Victor and Yuuri having sex? :P
The Top 10 ‘things going wrong during sex’ stories should definitely be a thing, but i’m not going to press you to write more (even if not explicit) sex scenes. But it would be and absolutely hilarious topic (and it would be definitely be commented in some drunk-ish after party, just let it on Chris hands).
wow, you guys really wanted this one so I bumped it to the top of the queue!
Top 10 Times Things Went Wrong During Sex:
10) One time they were in a single bed and Yuuri was riding Viktor but halfway through Viktor decided to flip them over so that he was on top. The only problem was that he was used to having a king-sized bed and so instead of rolling them over he just dumped them both on the floor instead. It took Yuuri five full minutes to stop laughing
9) In reference to one of my previous top tens, during their first visit to Yuuri’s parents Yuuri refused to have sex at all in his parent’s house surrounded by his family. And Viktor totally respected that but after two weeks of blue balls he and Yuuri were taking Vicchan and Makkachin for a walk on the beach and he basically jumped Yuuri, who was very down with that idea. Which was great in the moment but afterwards Yuuri kept giving him death glares like ‘I have sand in my clothes, I have sand in my hair I have sand in places where sand is never supposed to be’.
8) During their second visit to the onsen, Yuuri refused to have sex in the onsen itself but Viktor did manage to convince Yuuri to let Viktor give him a blowjob after they got out of the water. But since they had just spent a really long time in very hot water and most of Yuuri’s blood was…not in his head, he ended up fainting at a really not opportune moment. Viktor freaked out and was terrified that Yuuri was seriously hurt but he woke up after a couple of seconds and Mari just stuck a cold cloth on his head, told him to suck it up and smirked at them both because Yuuri had been using the hot springs since he was a kid so she knew their story about him fainting from it just being too hot was complete bullshit.
7) Once they were being pretty athletic and adventurous which was going great until Viktor accidentally pulled a muscle and Yuuri teased him mercilessly about being an old man who couldn’t keep up with his athlete boyfriend anymore. The main problem came when Viktor had to explain to people at the rink how he pulled a muscle because neither of them wanted to tell the truth. Everyone figured it out anyway.
6) Once Viktor forgot to lock the bedroom door and Makkachin jumped onto the bed between them mid sex. They both screamed and jumped apart and it completely ruined the mood and then they couldn’t bring themselves to push Makkachin off the bed and lock him out again to continue because he looked too happy.
5) There was a time when Viktor convinced Yuuri to try being blindfolded which Yuuri decided to try out. But they didn’t bet on Yuuri being really jumpy without his vision and prone to startling so at one point Viktor leant down to give him a blowjob without warning him first and he jerked on instinct and accidentally kicked Viktor in the face. It took them about 10 minutes to stop the nosebleed but they were able to laugh about it afterwards once Yuuri stopped panicking.
4) They were once in the shower together and Viktor decided to try and pick Yuuri up like in chapter 13. Except he didn’t account for the fact that it is a lot harder to pick someone up in the shower surrounded by water and so he slipped, dropped Yuuri and broke their shower rack by grabbing onto it to try and stay upright.
3) Yuuri really likes pulling Viktor’s hair during sex and Viktor really likes getting his hair pulled during sex. But one time Yuuri pulled a bit too hard and accidentally yanked some of Viktor’s hair out. It was only a few strands and didn’t actually hurt that much but they then had to stop because Yuuri needed to comfort an inconsolable Viktor over the fact that he thought that he was losing his hair.
2) At the start of their relationship Viktor did a lot of the dirty talk which they’re both really into. But he was really keen for Yuuri to try it too. But Yuuri wasn’t that confident at the beginning and he could never think about what to say and felt really awkward so he was never confident enough to do it. So one day during sex Viktor suggested that Yuuri try dirty talking in Japanese to see if he felt more comfortable doing it that way (and because Viktor has a very badly hidden language kink). But Yuuri kind of panicked and just blurted out the first thing that came into his mind which was ‘I love katsudon’. Viktor didn’t speak fluent Japanese but he still recognised the word Katsudon and so they had to stop because he was laughing too hard to continue. He managed to convince Yuuri that it was actually pretty hilarious after a while of Yuuri being mortified and it became a private joke between them.
1) At one point Yuuri started to get a bit more open and comfortable with asking to try out new things with Viktor, who is ecstatic about it. One of the things he suggested was trying out handcuffs but he got really embarrassed and just bought the first cheap pair that he could find. Everything went fine until after they were finished when it turned out that the locking mechanism had jammed which meant that neither the key nor the emergency switch worked. So Viktor was stuck handcuffed to the bed and they were both way too embarrassed to call anyone for help. They eventually managed to get them off and laughed about it once it was over. Later Viktor bought Yuuri some high quality handcuffs as a present and made him promise never to use cheap sex toys again.
Facebook Permanently Blacklisted Me From Their Site
My name is Aysha Bee, and I’m a 21 year old Black woman, Social Critic, and Motivational Speaker for people of Black Marginalized Genders.
Facebook has allowed racists, misogynists, and just flat out abusive people to harass me and report my Facebook page enough to the point that Facebook will no longer allow me to create an account on the website.
Facebook disables any account that I attempt to make on the site. They ignore all of my appeal letters. They won’t even tell me what the issue is.
I believe that they may have me blacklisted by using my name, my IP address, and my cookies to keep me from being a user. As I have tried several methods to gain access back to the website with no success.
It’s discriminatory because I should be entitled to my freedom of speech on their website no matter who I offend with my truth.
My experience as a Black woman matters.
My feelings are valid.
My passion is genuine.
My voice and the voices of other Black women who speak about misogynoir and other issues are worthy of being heard and amplified.
Facebook still hosts space for some of the most violent people I have ever had the displeasure of seeing, but yet they had no problem with permanently banning me from the website.
It is unfortunate because I built some amazing bonds on Facebook, as well as I was happy to provide a space for people of Black Marginalized Genders.
There are not many spaces that center people of Black Marginalized Genders 100 percent of the time with no exceptions, and I was serious about keeping that scene a reality.
Now I am forced to move on from the connections that I made on Facebook.
Okay y’all, I’ve got a new anime recommendation that I can’t stress seriously enough. It comes with mild yet flashy alien invasion, action-packed international negotiations, sci-fi energy sources, a super exhausted flight attendant crew in a hostage situation, and your friendly neighborhood media frenzy! Do you like Steins;Gate? Do you like the weird, inexplicable dating sim vibes? Have you ever wanted to watch the Japanese government shed tears of blood for days on end in a boardroom environment? Can I interest you in an adorable theoretical physicist equipped with an etch-a-sketch?
May I now introduce you to:
1. Your new beautiful alien overlord, now with 100% less emoting and an unwavering dedication to linguistic accuracy, who may or may not also be future-Jesus:
With zero joking, I need to inform you that that his name is Yaha-kui zaShunina. Folks, you don’t get higher quality alien visitors than this.
2. A protagonist that a) doesn’t suck and a) possesses the holy trinity of dry wit, a moral compass, and superior communication skills:
3. KADO the cube*, who, if this was a dating sim, would definitely be the love interest you wanted to date the most:
(*that’s it, it’s just a cube. It’s 2km to each side, it doesn’t get any sexier)
(**those specks in the second pic are batshit crazy media helicopters, see #9 below)
4. The swooning Junior Colleague, if alien overlords aren’t your thing:
5. A flight crew that just doesn’t quit, despite being told they have to work overtime in a multi-dimensional hostage situation for the next 29 fucking days
6. The afore-mentioned etch-a-sketch physicist, who routinely frightens the military officers so bad they call for backup to disagree with her
6. This cutie negotiator, who I’m pretty sure is actually super fucking ambitious beneath that wide-eyed veneer
7. This other cutie that does shit with military-grade weapons, who I hardcore ship with the crazy physicist
8. High-powered negotiations, which was a genre I never knew I needed until now and includes intense debates about the problems of inaccurate language localizations and translation fuck-ups in high-stress situations
9. And finally, the military and the media circus, now with proper representation and cool behind-the-scenes depictions of what security proceduresreally look like during crisis situations
SO GIVE KADO: The Right Answer A TRY, Y’ALL, IT LOOKS KICKASS AND I WANT MORE OF IT ON YOUR DASH AND MINE
One last note: KADO uses a consistent amount of CGI. If you have been traumatized by CGI in the past (see: the dark side of new sailor moon) I urge you to watch the first 2-3 episodes of KADO before writing it off. Why? Because:
1) the plot and story are so cool I kept watching even after being thrown off initially, and
2) it was actually shockingly easy to get used to the difference in animation
This was because there’s a hell of a lot of geometric detailing in this anime, and the CGI, believe it or not, does a great job in animating it. Facial expressions and body language are also way more detailed because they’re able to alter pre-existing models. This also means the animation is consistently high-quality.
So try it out! The first three episodes (plus prequel, which I highly recommend) are onCrunchyroll with minimal ads. Don’t skip it, ‘cause it looks like it’s gonna continue to be insanely good!
Hello majestic artist I have recently come across your Hannime and good Lord it is all I've ever needed omg could you do an edit on side to side comparison with the original scene? I'd appreciate it very much c: