5 gifts Sam Winchester has given me
1. FEELS - there’s a lot I feel in common with Sam, so when something happens to him, good and bad, the feels are hit especially hard. Everything about Sam makes me smile, cry, and laugh. Alot.
Sometimes I HATE THIS SHOW A STAB TO THE HEART WITH A RUSTY SCREWDRIVER IS LESS PAINFUL I HATE EVERYTHING FU KRIPKE and most times I LOVE YOU SAMMY YOU ARE THE BEST AND I LOVE YOU HAVE I SAID I LOVE SAM WINCHESTER TODAY HAVE I HAVE I? So, lots of feels.
2. A rich and compelling character. Supernatural became this 10 year odyssey of Sam’s journey through mortality, heaven, hell, purgatory, and the ends of the earth. Every conceivable bad things happen to Sam, he’s been lied to and betrayed by everybody, but he still moves on and doesn’t wallow or hold it against people and angels. Every character in Supernatural should emulate Sam Winchester, he’s the only one who truly knows what it means to be divine and lead people out of the darkness to the light at the end of the craptastic tunnel.
3. Influential beyond the show. Sam is my favorite character and I know will continue to be my favorite after the show ends. Sam endures, Sam perseveres, Sam keeps moving forward and doesn’t whine making it all about him. I find that to be one of the most admirable quality of Sam. Sometimes I think, “What would Sam Winchester Do”, and the answer becomes clear.
4. Role model. Just about everything is our lives that our beyond our control (sucky family, sucky mental issues, sucky jobs, etc) and the only thing we have in control is our behavior and how we react to things. I see Sam doing that, he accepts reality instead of being angry about it, I get the most angry when things aren’t going my way, the psychos I know are the angriest people because the world and the people aren’t following the script in their head, so they lash out and hurt people for not acting like wind up toys according to their own head canon. Sam doens’t pass judgement on people but he does expect them to be accountable for their choices and actions because Sam himself takes accountability of his mistakes, learns from it, and tries to do better. And if people don’t do what Sam expects of them, well, he moves on instead of holding their failings against them.
I wish more people were like Sam: kind, helpful, and respectful of your own personhood. He doesn’t do patronizing, he expects you to actually have a brain and common sense to go along with your free will. In the end I hope Sam gets everything that he wants, he deserves it.
5. Sam Winchester. Sweet, brave, selfless Sam. Sam Winchester is the greatest gift of the gift Sam Winchester has given me.