hey could you give some headcanons on Jason's and Tim's relationship as brothers?
I hate the instant friendship Tim/Jay has in New52 but I don’t hate the idea of Tim/Jay eventually reaching an understanding. But they have such a complex, antagonistic relationship that it’s something that needs time and patience to develop into something more positive. it was disrespectful to the characters to deny all their history and make them friends.
- I’d like to think Tim/Jay started forming a proper relationship sometime after the events of Red Robin. Tim is all grown up, feeling angry and estranged from the Batfam after all the hell he’s been through. Jason, the original angry, replaced kid, can feel this coming off Tim and senses he’s in a bad place and might make some bad decisions. Jay has calmed down off his crazy train and is able to see that he treated Timmy pretty badly and makes somewhat of an effort to make up for it. More importantly, he doesn’t want to see another Robin die.
- Tim is super cautious and suspicious around Jay but after a few months Tim is just crumbling and spilling his guts to Jay because he’s so tired and he’s been on his own too long and he's almost 18 but he can’t handle this stress anymore. And Jay is the only one there to keep Tim together. By this point the Batfam are there and help get Tim back on track, but Tim’s not forgetting that they left him to fall or to fly… or that Jay was there at his lowest point.
- Once Tim begins to bounce back, he makes an active effort with Jay which Jason finds uncomfortable. He held Tim’s hand when he needed it but now Tim is trying to be there for Jason and he’s not used to that. He tried to kill that kid too many times to count and now the idiot is openly trusting his back to Hood. Jay’s kind of taken aback by this care and trust. It’s… better than Dick’s bright, somewhat condescending behavior to get Jay back and Bruce is an ass as always. But Tim is quiet and he gets it man what it’s like to be pushed off and he’s not forcing Jay to change all at once, just offering support and understanding
- So Tim helps reintegrate Jay into the Batfam by serving as a mediator between the two and Jay makes the fam very much aware of how they fucked over Tim and they better not do that again. Initially Jay is only comfortable around Tim but he slowly learns to get on with Damian, Cass and Steph and over time find sit in himself to forgive Bruce and Dick. It’s not perfect, they still fight a lot, but he’s over at the Manor more often and begins wearing a Bat on his chest.
- He and Tim develop a pretty easy going relationship. Again, there’s strife because Tim is an insecure paranoid freak who keeps everything close to the chest and Jason has his moments where the Pit’s influence overrides everything else. They hang out casually, watch movies while Tim works and Jason cleans his weapons (rubber bullets, boss’s orders), they make small talk and enjoy each other company. Jay becomes Tim’s main confidant in the Batfam since Dick’s betrayal and Tim will always back up and defend Hood when he’s struggling. They’re not best friends or quite brothers, but their mutually sucky experiences help them find solace in each other as friends and partners