my aunt actually pointed this out while i was making her watch opm and also explaining mp100 to her but i’m sharing this bc its interesting
saitama and mob both have similar, very plain faces. like, so much to the point where i’ve seen people call mob “saitama with a bowlcut”. now i explained the reasons as to why they’re both so expressionless to my aunt (i.e. saitama has depression, mob has to control his emotions) but she told me that she thought it was a very deliberate story telling device
my aunt explained that since they both have plain faces, it would make sense then to view them as the “everyman” – a character that’s so plain and ordinary that it’s easy to project on them
and that’s when i realized that’s the whole /point/ of saitama’s and mob’s characters
i think another meta post pointed this out, but in a typical manga mob and saitama would be the quirky side kicks. the ordinary ones that follow around more serious protags with tragic backstories like genos and ritsu. it’s easier for audiences to project on characters that are kinda quirky, kinda expressionless, and also kinda “funnier” (humor-wise, referring to both saitama’s and mob’s deadpan jokes) – making it easier for them to admire the hero because they feel as though they are already in a role that does.
but with opm and mp100, saitama and mob are the heroes – for a very specific reason. the moral of both stories is that /anyone/ can be special, depending upon what they do. they even say it in mp100’s OP: “if everyone’s not special / then maybe you can be what you want to be.” the point is that everyone is equal (and we’re talking fundamentally, not in terms of society or under the law okay), even if you have great powers. it’s what you do with those great powers that make you, well, great.
saitama and mob look like the “everyman” for this reason then. but also so we can project on them, for reasons stated above. we’re supposed to project on saitama and mob because, as the moral of both their stories say, we are all the same. we are all the everyman. and we all have great powers. and, god, this is gonna sound corny. but while our powers might not be defeating villains with one punch or literally exploding in an overload of a manifestation of our emotions, we still have the choice to do something great with them.
and i think that’s fucking brilliant of ONE to make that/emphasize that point just through something as simple as a /facial expression/
*bows* Yo duke, lemme tell ya a story. So I know a dude who posted a carefully reworded version of the assigned essay prompt onto a Reddit thread, and then he wrote his whole essay by carefully rewording the responses he received. Not a single idea in those six pages was his own, but he put so much time and effort just into avoiding the darn plagiarism checker, I don't know whether to be impressed or disgusted. Actually, scratch that, it's disgusting. @ Kids: Be original. Don't be "That Guy."
*curtsies* I mean the irony here is that if he applied the same ingenuity and dedication to just writing the damn paper he probably would have been done in half the time.
Lately I’ve been thinking of starting another podcast about going through crazy shit and still having a sense of humor about it. We’d have guests on (anonymous or not) to tell awful yet funny stories from their lives. My dream would be to one day have guests like Tig Notaro, Julia Sweeney, and @chrisgethard. My very dear, hilarious friend Sarah (you may remember her as the friend who was in a ‘wolf cult’) has said she’d be interested in cohosting. Are any of you out there interested in this sort of thing?
1. When did you realize you had fallen in love with your target language?
Probably a week into my French class. I was fascinated with the culture and everything about it. It did help that my teacher was fun and you could tell he loved teaching AND he knew what he was doing. But then he ditched us to become deputy headteacher and I was so upset.
2. If you could choose to have any animal for a pet, which one would you pick?
Any animal? Then elephants. Those poacher bitches need to stop killing them.
3. What is a grammatical concept you found/find difficult to understand?
LOL can I say all of them? Listen, I still struggle with grammar concepts in English and that’s my 1st language.
4. At what time during the day do you feel the most productive?
5. Describe your hometown using one sentence.
Boring? You have to drive everywhere and the public transport is a mess. I miss England sometimes.
6. Have you ever felt at home abroad?
I am abroad 😭. England is my home but lmao yes, I have a lot of family in Jamaica and that always feels at home.
7. What is a habit of yours you find annoying?
Second guessing myself.
8. What do you consider to be your best trait?
I honestly don’t know. I’ll have to think about this one…
9. Is there a song/ movie/ animation that you can’t help but associate with your childhood?
Disney movies for sure and also Power Rangers.
10. You get to tell your favourite celebrity a single sentence. What will it be? (and who would you tell it to)
My favourite celebrity right now is Candice Patton (iris west on the flash) and I guess I’d tell her something about admiring her strength because she gets a lot of racist shitheads attacking her and I love her for being an iconic black woman.
11. What is the first thing you notice about a person you meet?
I try not do that very often so I don’t know…
~ 1. What was the last language you started learning? (Even if you dropped it)
Korean but I did drop it to focus on French alone.
2. Do you play an instrument?
I sure don’t.
3. Where in the world would you be most happy?
In my bed but maybe at Disney.
4. Do you think that your TL will help you get a good job? Or do you prefer them to be a by-side thing?
Speaking a second language is always a plus but erm where I am yes! Creole, Spanish and English are the “official” languages where I live.
5. If you ever have children, will you teach them your target languages?
BIG IF! But if I’m confident enough at that time then why not.
6. Did you grow up as monolingual or bilingual? Do you wish that it had been different?
Monolingual and I wish I grew up speaking another language, le sigh.
7. What’s the last book you read and what language was it in?
Shit, erm can’t remember the last but most memorable is the Cupcake Brown one and it was in English.
8. Do you have friends near you who speak more than one language?
Yes, some speak creole and some speak spanish.
9. What is/are the official language/s of your country?
English and Spanish (fucking accept it america) but to be honest, each state is different.
10. Have you ever been to a city where they speak one of your TL?
They speak creole where I live and that’s a form of french but it’s not the french I wanna learn. I pick up on a few words here and there.
11. Have you ever tried to teach your native language or one of your TLs to another person?
Me teach? Lmao I can’t even teach myself. One day though.
It won’t let me tag anyone 🙄so anyone do this if you wanna…
(Apollon: A car? What’s that? Oh, it’s like a mechanical horse! But faster and more efficient and doesn’t poop everywhere!!)
(”As humans’ worship and faith in the gods waned, so did the powers of These divine beings,” wrote Mr. Caduceus, “and even something that used to be simple as teleportation proved to be impossible today. What’s left is Their immortality and Their memories of the past, and like humans, even They must adapt to the changing world around them.”)
From Best to Worst Drivers (a summary)
1) Thor. A very good and careful driver. Calm and collected… good. Just slightly better than Yui at driving because of his faster reflexes in case of accidents (but hey, he’s a god!). Is a hazard to others because during the summer time he will choose to drive with his shirt off and his windows open. Others can see him and become flustered (Maria’s thirst is talking here but who wouldn’t be thirsty).
2) Yui. Careful driver and quick to her feet! Very nice and lets people go ahead of her most of the time! The designated driver when everyone else is tired and or wasted. Has never gotten a ticket yet but has been in a small accident but hey, it’s the other person’s fault!
3) Thoth. Has a bit of road rage. Will cut people off on purpose when he’s in a bad mood. Was actually everyone’s driving instructor because he doesn’t trust the gods to not out themselves to a human teacher (he often yelled at his students when he was teaching them). Good driver when he isn’t pissy. Listens to nothing but audiobooks on the road.
4) Apollon. Like Yui and Thor, careful driver! Always has music playing as he drives. A pleasant driver. Usually lets others go first in a four way intersection. (Maria: I’ve… got nothing else…… sun)
5) Tsukito. Very stoic driver and obeys the speed limit at all times to a fault. ALWAYS uses his turn signal even when the street is entirely empty (bless you moon-moon). Refuses to speed up even when the flow of traffic is faster. Actually, drives slower than the speed limit just to be careful (but often pisses off other drivers lmao). Will drive in absolute silence and will refuse to converse with anyone.
6) Takeru. Has the worst roadrage. Will definitely scream at the people who cut him off. Speeds often. Will blast music as he drives (and shamelessly sing along loudly when he’s ALONE). Tells people how to fucking drive as a passenger. Will speed up really fast to run a yellow light. Won’t hit the gas pedal until a few feet away so if you aren’t wearing your seatbelt you’ll lurch forward!
7) Dionysus. Okay driver in general. A bit clumsy and sometimes forgets to look both sides when backing up. Claims he’s okay to drive when he just drank wine but Yui absolutely refuses to let him. Often forgets to turn off the lights in the car (he notices last second though). When parking and notices that there aren’t a lot of cars, he won’t bother to correct his parking if it’s bad.
8) Balder. He’s a good driver in theory… but is a road hazard and also scary to have as a driver occasionally. His foot sometimes get caught up with the pedals but always manages to catch himself and fix his mistake last second!! Has to always role his windows up because he attracts too much attention. A lot of people hit on him at stoplights. Everyone agreed that he will be the driver only on long trips where everyone else is too exhausted to drive and there is barely anyone on the road.
9) Loki. That asshole driver everyone hates. Doesn’t use his turn signals. Changes lanes so often that other drivers really wish he would just crash eventually. Speeds so often that he has a collection of tickets still unpaid that he just shoves in the front compartment. How did this guy even get his license? (Loki: lol, I didn’t.). Has already been in multiple cop chases in the past. Someone, arrest this man.