Hi! So I've seen a lot of "TAZ" on your blog and I have no idea as to what it is, do you think you could fill me in? It seems really interesting and funny! (I'm guessing TAZ is an abbreviation for "The Adventure Zone" but I could be totally wrong).
(Ironically I’m listening to it right now so PERFECT TIMING ANON)
TAZ aka “The Adventure Zone” is an absolutely fantastic podcast done by the three McElroy brothers (who’s stuff you might’ve come across recently) and their dad Clint McElroy. It’s basically a Dungeons and Dragons podcast about three idiot adventurers goofing their way through a fantasy world and unraveling a surprisingly thrilling, detailed story created by their DM (the youngest brother) Griffin McElroy. It’s got really endearing characters and a captivating story and??? I love it so much??? I was a little iffy about it at first, but I kept listening and honestly I haven’t been this interested in a story in ages. It’s actually made me tear up and the most recent episode alone makes the entire podcast worth it. It’s GREAT to listen to while drawing, I highly recommend it.
A rundown of the main trio:
- Taako Taaco (played by Justin): Gay wizard, will steal anything that isn’t nailed to the floor, super cunning, acts like an idiot in the beginning but is probably the smartest of the trio.
- Magnus Burnsides (played by Travis): Human warrior, epitome of the “looks like he could kill you, is actually a cinnamon roll (who could kill you)” meme, just wants a dog.
- Merle Highchurch (played by their dad Clint): Dwarf cleric, definitely not as religious or saintly as you’d think, keeps switching which god he follows.
Some fun stuff about The Adventure Zone:
- Has several (several!!!) canonically gay characters
- It’s legitimately laugh-out-loud funny, but when it gets serious it gets serious. The show does a great job of balancing humor and edge-of-your-seat suspense (but even in those scenes you’ll get some goofs).
- It’s full of awesome lady side characters who constantly have to save the main trio from dying
- You don’t need to know anything about DnD to know what’s going on (you’ll probably pick up a few things from the podcast) but TAZ is a pretty non-traditional DnD session (apparently. I didn’t know much about DnD before listening).
- For a podcast run by 4 dudes it’s not as inappropriate as you’d expect it to be. The majority of the inappropriate jokes are in the first few episodes, but there aren’t as many after that (and the ones in later episodes are kinda funny because if Clint makes an inappropriate joke, all the brothers scream and are like “YOU CAN’T SAY THAT YOU’RE OUR DAD”)
- “I think we may have to consider his incompetence was a ruse”
“I would sooner die"
- “The three of you walk into this room singing showtunes, and everyone inside this building looks at you, and kills you”
TLDR: PLEASE LISTEN TO TAZ it’s free and it’s got such a great story and such a chill fandom with neat art. You can listen to it on the Maximum Fun Network (they even have a shorter version of the first episode that just get to the nitty-gritty). Hope this helps anon!