What I “Got” Out Of The 2016 Tony Awards
- Hamilton is important.
- Jessie Muller was literally crying on stage because Waitress is so amazing, is NOT important.
- School of Rock has 15 kids under the age of 12 nailing it every night! It’s NOT important.
- Audra McDonald is pregnant and tapping her a** off, it’s NOT important.
- Bright Star gave us something so unbroadway in its music and somehow made it work amazingly, but it’s NOT important.
- Fidler on the Roof is an ageless story that everybody knows and loves, but too bad cause it’s NOT important.
- She Loves Me is a star-studded cast but pulls it all together so well, (Jane Krakowski’s legs?!!!) NOT important.
- Spring Awakening and Michael Arden (WHO DIDN”T EVEN GET SHOWN ON TV) brought a whole other culture to Broadway that has never been there before, they recited ever line in BOTH English and ASL AT. THE. SAME. TIME. I guess it’s NOT important.
This season they talked so much about diversity in the talent. Diversity is not just black and white. Diversity is people of all races, cultures, genders, etc.
The Tony Awards are there to bring the community together, to show that EVERYBODY is important. “Love is love is love is love”. But this year, 2016, I personally felt that it was only about Hamilton, a beautiful show that deserves to get recognized, but what about all of the other shows that got nothing because Hamilton got everything?
Ali Stroker is the first women on broadway in a wheelchair, there are deaf talent in a musical! These are things that nobody beside Michael Arden would have thought of, and he got ABSOLUTELY no recognition for it.
The night was dedicated to those who were lost in Orlando, a night that was dedicated to the love and community of the theatre. There were so many shows on broadway this season, that were not even nominated. Shows that closed too soon. There were not even recognized, there were not important enough to share the light of Hamilton.
There are ALL IMPORTANT. Amazing Grace, Lord of The Dance, Disaster, American Psycho, The Color Purple, Bright Star, Allegiance, Spring Awakening, On Your Feet, Dames At Sea, Fidler On The Roof, Waitress, School of Rock, Shuffle Along, Tuck Everlasting, She Loves Me, and Hamilton are ALL IMPORTANT and are ALL EQUAL.