musicals I've listened to: Hamilton, Bandstand, Rent, Falsettos, Dear Evan Hansen, and Heathers I've liked them all and don't really have much complaint but I feel like such a noob when it comes to musicals because I really only listen to relatively mainstream ones. I want to get more into Broadway
omg OKAY SIS WELL i’m literally no expert and this is literally just from me scrolling thru my music and trying to sort this so pls go easy on me + i attached links to youtube 4 easy listening i love u i hope this helps
if you want to get into more classic / iconic broadway:
- les miserables is a good place 2 start bc there’s a movie and tons of productions !! but get ready to Cry
– features classic musical theatre songs like one day more, on my own, i dreamed a dream, do you hear the people sing, etc
- into the woods is classic sondheim ( a highly iconic lyricist & composer who has written literally decades of shows including company, follies, sweeny todd, sunday in the park with george, etc ) + bernadette peters plays the witch and she is fantastic as per usual
– also has a kickass movie but the plot of the movie is a little different than the original broadway cast so listen 2 both!
- a chorus line - a kickass show with relatable tunes about auditioning
- sweet charity is just one of my personal faves with iconic songs like big spender, if my friends could see me now, & rich man’s frug (book by neil simon!!! and choreography by bob fosse !!!)
- chicago !!!!! badass show with iconic numbers like cell block tango & roxie (plus a movie was made for this show and imo really does the show justice)
- more that i’m thinking of off the top of my head: guys and dolls, the sound of music, jesus christ superstar, gypsy, company, i’m probably forgetting so many wow sos
somewhat newer shows ?? that are fun to listen/dance to:
- hairspray is so so SO fun with empowering messages and real cute choreography + they made a movie which was also v fun!!
- wicked ….. do i need 2 say more???
- book of mormon is HILARIOUS and personally one of my fave shows of all time (+ there are tons of boots lmao) – it’s a RIOT of a show with an insane cast and catchy songs like hello, two by two & i believe
– if you like this, i also recommend Avenue Q
- the producers is another very funny musical with a very funny movie that features ICONIC songs like keep it gay, i wanna be a producer, & there’s nothing like a show on broadway
- thoroughly modern millie is an amazing show (with sutton foster!!) with iconic tap numbers and badass flapper girl vibes with jams like the speed test, what do i need with love and forget about the boy
- legally blonde is WAY TOO FUN and just as amazing as the non-musical film + they performed it live on MTV so there’s a full video of the show with the OBC featuring tunes like omigod you guys, bend and snap, and there! right there!
- something rotten! is AMAZING and references a ton of other musicals and shakespeare’s and it’s just all around fantastic and wonderful
- the last five years is SO good and has such an interesting way of telling the story + there’s a
not great but not too terriblemovie version on netflix with dreamboats jeremy jordan and anna kendrick + it has a lot of amazing male and female solo songs that are probably overdone but still amazing like see i’m smiling, moving too fast, a summer in ohio & if i didn’t believe in you
as for general recommendations via yours truly
- if you liked hamilton, give in the heights a listen bc it’s lin’s writing and it’s an amazing story with a LOT of heart
- if you LOVED rent, give tick, tick…boom! a chance
- spring awakening has some bangers and a lot of people love it so give it a listen, too!!
- i dig the addam’s family bc i loved the movies and it’s a very fun show
- lots of “kid” shows are also really fun – like mary poppins, rogers & hammerstein’s cinderella, school of rock, annie, beauty and the beast, etc
- waitress is a REALLY FUN SHOW that feels very real and the characters are flawed but wonderful and there’s a lot of heart there
- memphis is a show that is highly slept on and there’s a full pro-shot version that’s fantastic and ugh !!!!! i love this show why is no one talking about it !!!!!!
- lastly……. sit down and really dedicate ur whole entire self to listening to natasha, pierre and the great comet of 1812. amazing. 11/10 so fantastic and they deserved every single tony nom they got & more i just l o v e this show (there are two versions - one w dave malloy & phillipa soo and one with josh groban and denee benton: there are small differences between them but they are both wonderful)
i am prob forgetting a TON so please feel free to reblog and add any recommendations you have!!! love all u theatre dorks