- both likes/favorites/subscriptions/etc AND comments mean a lot to every writer!
- writers love to hear feedback. even if its just one word. even if you have nothing more to say than ‘nice!’ or 'cute!’ or 'aaw <3’ or anything of the sorts, its still absolutely loved feedback!
- if you are struggling with things to say, bring up what you liked; did you like how they write dialogue? mention it! did you like character interactions? mention it! did you like the ship? mention it! when you pinpoint the thing that you liked writers tend to start taking extra notice on that particular stuff, meaning that in the future what you liked, you’ll be receiving more of! and who doesnt like that!
- if reading a piece sparks something in your head, whether its an idea or a headcanon or anything related to the characters/au/story/whatever, mention it. tossing around and playing with these kind of things is always fun, and as writers are people seeking new stuff to explore and write about, these are always helpful things! besides, who knows, if you share a headcanon that pops in your mind while reading things, maybe they’ll write something about the said headcanon too!
- if you like the thing but dont know how to put it into words, fear not! nobody will get mad at you for just saying 'i liked it!’ but not knowing exactly what you liked. just the fact that you dig something we put out there for you and you say that, is more than enough. sure some people like to ask for more detailed input, but dont worry; again, nobody will get mad at you if you cant pinpoint the exact reasons
- SHARING IS CARING. if its just a tumblr reblog, it counts. specifically recommending ones stuff to your friend is amazing. just putting it out there that 'hey i love this fic/this author/stuff in this fandom/about this ship/character’ makes us feel like weird doing something right and that is great and makes us feel amazing in turn. and that encourages us to make more stuff for you to enjoy, whether its similar fics, stuff in a specific fandom, or just writing in general
also quick two parter hint section of things that you probs shouldnt do
- if a writer doesnt speficically ask for critiques and/or people to help point out spelling/grammar/etc errors, do not offer them said things! if you absolutely have to for whatever reason, please do it privately and as politely as possible. other than that, just please try to enjoy what is offered for you, cause even the pros make mistakes some times!
- dont tell a writer that their work reminds you of another persons work, that their ocs remind you of someone elses characters etc., unless its really obvious that its a ripoff. and especially then please highly consider if they really are stealing/ripping off someone else before accusing them of such things. its disheartening to hear that someone already did the idea, especially since 9 times out of 10 we will think their work is probably better than ours so yeah. you dont tell all those million coffee shop aus that they’ve already been done by someone else, why would you do that to anything else?
this has been your lil writer feedback psa. feel free to add more!