An alternate Season 2
I talked a bit about lack of payoff in the second season in a previous post and I got asked to expand a bit on what I would have liked to see the show go on to do after the first season. (I’m going to be honest I wrote that post under the impression Mirror Gem/ Ocean gem were the end of the first season but I mean…since basically every episode after that with maayybe four exceptions was filler up until Jail break can you blame me for thinking that?) Since by that point the audience was still under the impression that the war for earth destroyed the entirety of the gem civilization save the crystal gems we know and gem monsters.
I thought that the show was about rebuilding a lost civilization out of and with the help of broken people healing.
The set up made steven learning his powers integral to the story, it made his human side vital to the theme of new beginnings
SO what if we did get something like that? Here’s some ideas trying to take the themes brought up in the first half of season 1 to their logical conclusions
So in no particular order:
- Steven tries to heal centipeetle early on, right after his success with healing Lapis. We get something similar to Monster Reunion, but this time he’s actually successful and centipeetle doesn’t disappear from the narrative
- Maybe centi’s whole crew is healed and they begin to work on fixing their ship
- It’s either at this point, interacting with another gem unfamiliar with Garnet, that Garnet is revealed to be a fusion OR
- Garnet is revealed to be a fusion during or right after the stevonnie episode
- Steven begins trying to heal other corrupted gems and we get some interesting conflict between the crystal gems and some newly healed gems that fought for homeworld
- Or gems that fought for Rose and maybe regret it
- Just some characters with conflicting viewpoints! Gems that see the crystal gems as the destroyers of everything they once held dear! Gems that see Steven as a hail mary for their species! Gems unsure how to live in a world that is not a rigidly-structured heirarchy!
- Steven treated as someone still learning and growing out of his naiveté and not the sole voice of reason all the time
- Newly healed gems that dislike the crystal gems finding that they really enjoy the humans of beach city
- BISMUTH! She gets unbubbled earlier on and is fucking livid that after she got imprisoned finding out what Rose did
- Bismuth winds up still liking Steven despite of this, maybe she’s the one that tells Steven he absolutely does not have to be like Rose at all
- Bismuth becoming the first (besides the crystal gems) to actually join the cause Steven started of rebuilding a better gem civilization on earth. Steven is “do no harm” to Bismuth’s “take no shit”
- Lapis returns at some point, after finding out that the war Rose led had been won, at the cost of Homeworld
- Lapis doesn’t forgive anyone, really, but despite being more than a little wary of her she bonds with Bismuth over their shared imprisonment experiences
- The two spend a chunk of time (that we get to see! Without Steven there!) excavating and rebuilding sunken Gem buildings and architecture like the Lunar Sea Spire. They hash some things out, to a varying degree of success.
Still want our favorite crystal gems to punch some evil space bad guys?? I want that to!
- Some surviving gems from Homeworld turn their eyes toward Earth and we get a Peridot arc that plays out relatively similarly, but Peridot is not working on a kindergarten but assessing the planet to plan how to turn it into Homeworld 2.0
- Her last message to Homeworld gems hanging out in space was that Earth was ripe for colonization, then the crystal gems destroy her devices and she cannot get more information out to the higher ups
- Peridot keeps her mildly threatening and cold personality but finds herself impressed with the progress made by the crystal gems and friends to rebuild gem culture (without the shitty hierarchy)
- Peridot finds she likes this set up more because her intellect is no longer hindered by the ambitions of others but the damage was done by that last message
- Homeworld gems come a-knockin
- We get the crystal gems and the friends they made by Steven helping to heal corrupted gems fighting against a force of colonization fuck yeah
- The scattered gems that had been healed and had not stayed with the crystal gems had grown to like the earth the way it is. They enjoy not being under the thumb of a tyrannical regime and do not like the idea of their new home getting turned into one
- Steven becomes the focal point for these gems, since he is a product of both Earth and Gems he becomes a symbol of “Look! You can be a gem and still be a part of earth!” sort of thing
- This would be the end of the second arc of the show and the beginning of the third
- The third arc of the show would be the many healing gems that Steven and his moms helped against the last of the Homeworld gems
Tentative third arc ideas?
- Leading the last of the homeworld gems would have to be White Diamond
- White diamond is a character I imagine to be fucking terrifying, just a brutal bitch who thinks of other gems in terms of what they can do for her
- She has a strangely hard time understanding that other gems might have wants and needs that do not align with her own
- She thinks she’s a god, basically
- (this is getting really long so heres some last thoughts) Theres a few badass episodes of the new crystal gems and the old crystal gems fighting against homeworld gems
- some enemies they manage to talk into joining the fight for earth
- At some kind of climax, because Steven universe seems to like to defeat bad guys in unconventional ways, in the final showdown with White Diamond is maybe betrayed by a once loyal confidant
- The betrayal, getting injured maybe, and faced with the rebellion-age soldiers that killed her sisters (sisters? Other diamonds? Idk if they’re familial) and faced with the reality that her soldiers are no longer extensions of her will White diamond does not break but she corrupts
- Maybe she becomes monstrous at first, but then just shrinks down into a tiny white lion
Hm this became a lot longer than I thought it would
Feel free to add your own ideas! I would love to hear them!