please tell /recommend us or me (banas and non-banas, i dunno lol) your fav top 5 sidetracks of your fav group B1A4. Since I'm the lazy titletracker, I want to listen to some sidetracks (sry extremely lazy lol). And tell us/me your reason (love your analytical, subtle, objective, composure writting lol). *me cant stop listening to "A Lie" I blame Jinyoung for that lol* I guess its an request now, omg im writting too much again lol. *still wish one day tumblr will allow me to change my main blog
YOU LIKE MY WRITING?! THANK YOU!!!!! 😍😍😍 Ok, now that that’s out of the way lol…
MY TOP 5 B1A4 SIDE-TRACKS (only 5? *cries*)
It was really hard for me to narrow it down. They’re a group where they really don’t have any bad b-sides, so it’s a challenge.
- Starlight Song (별빛의 노래), from What’s Happening? EP: aka the song they would have also promoted if Baro didn’t injure his ankle (damn it, Baro!) This song has a nice mixture of sounds. It has an overall pop-rock feel to it, with a nice beat and synths that overlay throughout. You also get the slight higher notes of the piano that’s sprinkled in, and it comes together in a fiery, organic sound that climaxes with Sandeul’s voice as the rest boys finish the last chorus. Baro’s ‘yeah-eh-ehs’ also add a deeper tone to complement the rest of the boy’s higher voices… but despite everything, the faster pace and beats and drums and rock sound, the song is… surprisingly melancholy. It’s emotional, and with the build I was talking about at the end, it finishes suddenly with only Jinyoung’s voice singing “..chemistry”. It leaves you almost, unsatisfied? But in a good way, like you want more of the song. It’s like it leaves you with the feeling that there’s a question still hanging in the air, if that makes sense.
- Love Then (사랑 그땐) ft Hareem, from Who Am I Album: WOW I honestly could listen to this song all day and not get tired. Ok, maybe I should have prefaced this whole thing that I tend to like very rich, more emotionally charged songs. Because like Starlight song, this song is very melancholy as well. The first notes from the harmonica at the beginning act as a base for the entire song, as it gradually picks up with trumpets and some nice brass instruments. More then anything though, all of the boys voices really shine here. They are never overpowered, with the simple 1..2..3..4.. drum beat just complementing their words, and the chorus is just love. AND BARO SINGS! And it’s really, really nice! Like he isn’t the best singer of course, but it fuels the rawness of the song. And when all five of them come together at the end with their ‘ooh oohs’ in harmony, it’s so pretty. It’s followed by Baro’s lines repeating… but he ends it with his voice lifting at the end, almost like he’s asking a question (wow, kinda like how I feel about Starlight song, too! this wasn’t intentional, I swear), but even his words are light, almost floating away as he talks-sings “sigani heulleoganda… (time is flowing…)”
- You Make Me A Fool (내가 뭐가돼), from Solo Day EP: So continuing with my emotional songs…it’s interesting, because while this song is actually about a more melancholy subject matter, I wouldn’t describe the sound as such. It’s resigned in its sound, a little bittersweet perhaps, but it is a perfect construction of one who is finally coming into their own, getting through a tough time or relationship. The fact that the music can actually express that, without the need of words, is really telling. Kudos, Jinyoung! And, speaking of Jinyoung…his voice SHINES here like WOW. Only having the guitar as it’s instrument, all the vocals are in the forefront. Jinyoung’s falsetto gives me life! One other thing I’d like to add about the song and the boys voices is the manner in which they sing. It’s almost conversational, like you’re listening to them each take turns telling part of a story they’re recalling. And I think that really adds an extra special layer to an otherwise simple (but pretty) song, that you feel like you’re there listening to a group of your friends in an intimate, campfire like setting, just talking about past relationships.
- IF…(너만 있으면), from In The Wind EP: This song is like a warm blanket, it’s secure and comforting in its tonality, soft for the most part, but it still leaves an impact once you’re done listening… the chorus, “It’s you, you, neoman isseumyeon (as long as there’s you)” get’s immediately stuck in your head. The strings are nicely balanced with the drums, and Baro’s rap acts as a more intensifying moment, with synths and extra beats added as he varies his speed, before it quiets down for the final chorus, with Sandeul’s voice once again providing an awesome backdrop for the rest of the boys to finish off the chorus. Besides this, I think this song is just really emotional? The boys sang this song for us, as fans, and broke down trying to get through it. So it always has the extra pull on your heart when you put that moment in perspective.
- Road (길), from Who Am I Album: and here we have, not only my FAVORITE side-track, but quite possibly my favorite B1A4 song as well. I ADORE this song. When I am in a bad mood, sad, angry, anxious, you name it, I will listen to this song, and I will immediately feel better. It’s beautiful in its simplicity, starting with a short piano rift that, much like the harmonica in Love Then, serves as the base of the entire song. It doesn’t take long before heavy drum kicks in, with (Gongchans!) voice, breathy and light, kicks off with the boys taking turns with the verse. There’s a nice pattern of the boys singing followed by Baro’s rapping, instead of the normal longer, single rap we get from Baro. The chorus combines all the sounds of the piano, drums, and electronic synth in a faster paced tune, before it’s taken away for a short few seconds and Gonchan’s voice comes back in, preparing us for the next verse. And then we get our final, impactful belt from Sandeul, towards the end, with the boys singing “yaksokhae yaksokhae… (promise me, promise me…)” in an almost whisper type singing, as the piano leaves a final note hanging. And speaking of what the boys are singing, the lyrics and content of the song is JUST as beautiful as the melody. A road, that they’re recalling, like any other from there childhood, except it was the path they took with ‘you’, the listener, on your days to school as children, playing stupid games, sharing secrets, making promises to each other. And as you got older and no longer see one another, the boys think back to those simpler times, and wonder if you too remember the memories from that particular road. ITS BEAUTIFUL;;; and it doesn’t necessarily have to be romantic, either. It could just as easily be about two friends who fell out of touch as first loves. I think, for me personally, (and probably to many of us who are in that awkward are we actually adults? stage lmao) it’s relatable. We’re kinda lost, confused, and we reminisce about the simpler, happier, times with friends that seemed so… unimportant then, but now that we have more of our life to compare it too, we wish we could go back and cherish it more. And that’s what this song is basically about.
- Because of You (너때문에), from Ignition Special Edition
- What Do You Want to Do (뭐 할래요) from In The Wind EP
- Drive from Solo Day EP
- Smile (웃어봐) from Ignition Album
- I think ‘Nightmare’, ‘Drunk on You’, ‘The Moment I Fall For You Again’ and ‘Together’ from their most recent Good Timing Album would be contenders, although I was hesitant to mention any since they’re so new~