Do you have any tips for drawing cats? I've been trying and they all look not so great :c
I think it’s like when you want draw anything: a matter of being very observant and then drawing it a thousand million times even if you suck at first.
Things to look for:
- curves (cats are very flexible and full of curves)
- their spirit (if you have a cat you can look at, take your sketchebook and try to capture the movement with a few lines, once you do this a thousand times you start internalising their behaviour and movement) and if not, just copy a lot of cats you can find in the internet.
- cats are weird
- breaking them down to geometry
- observing and drawing literally what you see vs what you think a cat looks like
- a cat doesn’t have to look like a cat to be a cat (you can make them very weird and not realistic looking but they can still feel very cat-y)
As for style, I think you just have to keep trying, maybe trying to copy some other artist’s style and through fucking it up you’ll get your own style eventually.
I did these quickly to illustrate the curves + geometry (sorry they look evil):
Which you can also see in other artist’s renditions of their cats:
and this cat chilling by Gwen John (look at those curves):