Staying busy while job-hunting:
So I’ve recently left uni (Graduating in July) and I’ve begun the job-search. It hasn’t gone well so far but I want to use this time productively rather than just sitting around until I get a job so here are a few things I’ve been doing / thinking of doing:
- Read; I have so many books that I’ve bought but never had the chance to read
and I’ve decided to spend some of my time reading them now that I finally can.
- Volunteer; it will minimise the gap on your CV (if it takes a while to get a
job) and you could get new skills for your CV too. Further, it’ll get you out of
- Walk; I have a physiological problem with my legs which I’m currently
getting physio for which somewhat limits how much I can walk but I want to try
to get outside more, even if it’s just a 5 minute walk.
you might be able to find a free course / program
available in your area that interests you, even if it’s just for a few days or
I’ve always found it relaxing to look after plants
so I bought some seeds the other day and planted them and I’ve been able to
really look after the plants I already have. On a realted note, you could also do some home improvements / DIY.
- Learn to cook; I’m not very good in the kitchen but I could use this time to improve, even if it’s just learning the basics.
- Travel; I don’t really have the money for this but others do so I though I’d list it.
- Try learning another language; use sites like Duolingo and get involved in the langblr community.
Note: this could probably apply to students and summer as well.