Been roughly a year since the start of The Smothering.
Here’s a run-down of what’s happened in the last year and where we are now.
So originally I wrote out the storyboard for the episode out on 7 huge pieces of A2 paper, laying them out on the floor of my small room.
I then took the super sketchy ideas on the page, blu-tacked them to the wall above my Laptop, and redrew them all digitally as roughs. I added backgrounds, changed poses, modified shots I was unhappy with and just generally refined the storyboard as I drew.
After completing the roughs I started on the Line art. This is the process of redrawing the rough crappy sketches into much prettier, more appealing, art.
Currently I am finishing off page 5 of the line art, meaning that I only have 2 more pages to go until all the art for the project is finished.
(This is ignoring the backgrounds of episode, none of which have been done, but I do have some thoughts on how to rush those)
The remaining pages will not take that long, considering the fact that my later roughs looks less like crude, messy sketches, and more unpolished line art that I merely need to draw over. You’ll notice that when the episode finally is released that the my ability to draw the characters massively improves as I progressed with the project. Like a microcosm of season one.
I’m hoping to have all the assets for the episode completed mid February. Then all that would be left is the editing. Which I would thankfully not have to do.
Have a Merry Christmas SU folks. I hope you’ll all like the episode when it’s finished.