so going to star trek beyond last night literally exhausted me like I came back at like 10 and was out like a light at 11:30 it was AMAZING let me explain:
- simon pegg, the slick bastard, actually knows how to utilize an ensemble cast without it getting overly crowded or reducing everyone to cameos
- like, he knows how to write multiple interwoven storylines that showcase each character’s strengths and weaknesses and it’s great
- NO. FUCKING. LENS. FLARE.
- so many references to the original series, but not like the first movie where I got the sense they’d only seen like three, no, this was clearly written by someone who’d watched the whole series
- SUCH A GIANT FUCK-YOU TO THE CURRENT TREND OF MILITARISM IN THE STAR TREK MOVIES WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY HAVING MULTIPLE THRILLING ACTION SEQUENCES
- zero, I am telling you, ZERO fan service. no naked ladies lounging around for the camera. NONE.
- there is romance but it’s minimal and with the already-established couple of spock/uhura. NO LOVE INTERESTS FOR ANYONE ELSE.
- a really tight plot with humor and suspense, with almost no plot holes or hanging threads. like, every chekov’s gun gets fired.
- there’s a subplot about
leonard nimoyspock prime that is so touching and moving and oh my god
- I NEARLY CRIED AT THE END. IT WAS AMAZING.
- also I’m just going to put this line in with zero context but spoiler alert anyway: “better to have died saving lives than to live having taken them”
it blows the other two movies out of the water, I’m saying this as a huge fan of the original series who thought the first movie was meh and the second was goddawful, GO SEE STAR TREK: BEYOND!