Um, so sorry to bother you but I rlly wanted to ask about something and you seem RLLY understanding so I hope it's ok! I was just wondering if you have any advice as to how I can be a better ally to the LGBTQ+ community? I'm nervous bc since I'm not rlly a member of the community I'm still confused about some things and I'm afraid to make a mistake and offend people so I'm v v sorry but I wanna be better so I'd love any advice (if it's not any trouble ofc ) Thank you and keep being amazing! ❤️
uhm, gosh,, thank you, and what a question!! i can’t speak for The Entire Community so another cool thing would be to ask other people, as well !! but as a bit of a run down?
- please don’t speak over us ! in general, as an ally, you’re s’pposed to boost our voices
- when you see something going on–please speak up!! please!!! it’s better to know we have someone on our side than not!
- yes, “reblog if you support…” is nice but if it’s not being applied in real life then it’s no use, is it?
- in the same way, shipping your favorite same sex characters together is not being a good ally.
- (especially if you only write nsfw with them, i’m not going to get too into this, but yeah.)
- i shouldn’t have to say this but i’m going to anyway : do not out anyone without their permission. if you are not told, “i am okay with everyone else knowing i’m gay / trans / etc” then do not do it.
- also, always check yourself !! you can be a good ally even in small ways–using certain language is always nice! go gender neutral whenever possible
- don’t ask for someone’s sexual history for them to “prove” that they are whatever sexuality they tell you they are,, it’s not cool and you wouldn’t do that to a straight person (if you tell me you would it’s not funny and i’m not laughin’)
- there are going to be people in the community who won’t like you because you’re cis + het, and it’s mostly due to being mistreated by said people,, just be understanding of this, okay? you’re not obligated to interact with them–in the same way they’re not obligated to interact with you. just leave each other be and avoid discourse over that
- listen my friend if you’ve got a gay (i’m using it here as a blanket term) friend please don’t expect that they’ll have a crush on you or anything It’s Not Cool
- my personal pet peeve is when people erase the fact that intersex people exist so as a bit of a personal thing for you to remember : please remember intersex people are real and, “there’s lots of genders but only two sexes” is FALSE
- and be open to criticism!! if you’re being told that you’re wrong / you said something bad, please don’t fight with the people who you’re supposed to be a good ally to !!
if any of my followers have something to add on in the replies + another ask OR if i said something wrong, please let me know !! (but be kind, please)
OH!! AND A LAST THING!!
this applies x2 if you’re white / white-passing because often if people of color (not to say if you’re white-passing you aren’t, but y’know) speak up for themselves, they’ll be seen as “aggressive”, etc